Modern Rivalries | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Modern Rivalries

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
What is the Tigers recent most rivalry from the Hardwick years?
We've equally smaked a good selection of teams in 3 flags, I'd say beating geelong in every one of those finals series makes it the fiercest, should be interesting post flag clash this Friday.
Record 11 game streak against carlton, then essendon 10 games streak makes them kinda novelty rivalry.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Geelong is a new age rivalry
Port close behind

But Carlton & Collingwood are still the arch enemies

Reactions: 5 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Not sure about rivalry but we owe Brisbane a smacking.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Doesn't matter where they are on the ladder beating Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are still the ones for me.

Geelong is close behind but that is a recent thing for me. Years of being beaten by them and then beating them in finals in 17, 19 and 20 makes them now hate us but it also is about their coach never really giving us due credit.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Our biggest Rivalry currently is Geelong.
The previous 25 years of stepping on us, using us a practice match, hoping to get us twice for free premiership points & playing players back in form are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Its Geelong for me. Cannot forget their continued punishment of us. The infamous 2007 game. The 6 goal MCG last qtr comeback. Beating them in every important game is the most satisfying thing in football for me., culminating in last years comeback GF win.

I want more though, especially whilst Salty is still coach.

Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Cats for me too. Port not far behind. Traditional rivalries have waned with our rise and their demise. Oh for the days when we were ordinary and a win over the Pies, Bombers or Blues was all you wanted. Nah, bugger that, I’ll suffer our supremacy a while longer over that bunch of flogs. Long live the Tiger.

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Everyone else versus us. Whenever the opposition play us , it’s their grand final. They build themselves up to beat us. We just wait for September ( or October) to roll around To play in ours.

FWIW, still beating Carlscum for me, closely followed by the handbaggers

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Definitely the Cats at present. Port are probably second. West Coast wish we cared enough about them to consider them a rival, but we don’t.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Beating Essendon and Carlton doesn't have the same level of enjoyment it once did given how often we've beaten them recently. I grew up in Geelong so beating them for me is the most satisfying.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I know we want to smash everyone - and there are some teams that we as supporters hate to lose to, but right now I don’t think the team has any really pet hate teams.

If the team hated any one, right now it would be the pies and port, they don’t like that American and they knocked us out of the finals in 2018 and port smashed us in that prelim elimination.

But now Port and Geelong just give us good hard footy contests but I don’t think it’s a rivalry from our perspective cause we keep winning when it matters, same with the bears. If anything, the players tend to target players who dive, flop and mop around.

Also, the fact we play so much in the moment, the players don’t seem to hold grudges like in the past, the Emma effect.

But, it could all change in a heart beat.

Now, as for us supporters - that’s different.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Winning 6 of last 7 is hopefully a start to correcting the ledger after the last 3 decades.
Reckon beating up on the Moggies in three finals series whilst on the way to three flags, Elim, Prelim, Grannie went a hell of a long way to squaring the ledger.
Always happy to beat up on them n hang *smile* on a couple of brothers, but the nagging ache of thirty odd years of crap has disappeared.

Still get very antsy during games, regardless of opposition, always want the boys to win, but I'm generally looking forward to the next game within an hour or so of the result. Losing the odd game here n there hardly raises the hackles any more. Even losing to Colonwood in the Prelim in 2018, I was right to go again within 24 hours n that was after only one flag.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I don’t understand how we could have a rivalry against Geelong?
Isn’t it when two teams have big close games and we take in turns winning close games?
Richmond vs Geelong is the total opposite. We smash them every game and then crap on their heads with a big steaming pile of premiership cups?

• Haha