Monarch Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Monarch Discussion

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Clear and concise reasoning from Geoffrey Robertson as to why we should cut ties with the poms..... worth a read IMO

There you go, a KC saying just what I have been saying, no need for a Head of State, makes no sense in a Westminster system which is why we have a Head of State with little power.

I know we get the arguments about an incompetent or corrupt party of government abusing their power. Well, folks, if you haven't worked it out since the last election I suppose you never will: you don't have to vote for a party and you can vote the government out, and you can vote your local representative out. I used to live in a safe seat, I now live in a seat held by an independent. The House of Reps is meant to be our representatives (you can actually work this out quite easily, look at the name!). If the representatives we choose are not doing what we want you either vote them out or you admit that representative democracy does not deliver (won't get an argument from me on that score).

If you truly believe in representative democracy then why is there a need for some sort of oversight?

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The fact that someone as ill equiped and unreliable as Trump can be president means you can stick a fork in the US. It's well & truly cooked as a reliable partner.
Yes, fortunately the Brits were so successfully led by Boris Johnson.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If you support a monarchy, you support a system in which some people are better than others by birthright. Go ahead and support it, its a free country, but be clear about what you are supporting.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
had to think about what KC meant for a moment there David

You're a bit slow today ;)

I've been known to launch a faulty biro through the nearest wall to be fair

Must say, if there is one thing that drives me spare it is objects which do not do the one thing they are supposed to do. A tin opener which can't open a tin, a biro which doesn't write properly (actually any biro, hate the things), etc. I actually changed to fountain pens because they actually work. I've often thought of dropping various computers out of a 10 storey window.

I'm with Chuck on that one but you can be a lot less bad tempered about it, not a good look mate, should have learned PR from your mum.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Btw, those godless commies at the ABC are sending 27 (TWENTY-SEVEN) reporters and associated staff to London cover the old biddie's funeral. Jesus *smile*'ing wept.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Btw, those godless commies at the ABC are sending 27 (TWENTY-SEVEN) reporters and associated staff to London cover the old biddie's funeral. Jesus *smile*'ing wept.
Bloody disgrace that a generally underfunded ABC can waste limited funds on sending even one extra person to the UK for this overblown story. They/we already have UK and European correspondents - and that’s their job to report on stuff that happens there.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If you support a monarchy, you support a system in which some people are better than others by birthright. Go ahead and support it, its a free country, but be clear about what you are supporting.
And that flows into their political system, their House of Lords (Upper House) is nothing more than a bunch of toffee nose snobs with their snouts in the trough.
Dukes, Marquesses, Barons, Earls, Viscounts, Baronesses all with a right of birth, or right of passage who get to sit in the House of Lords, making policies and laws, all because of who their parents happen to have been :vomit

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Wow, that is astounding. Can't they just take the nauseating BBC feed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rule Britannia, marmalade and jam
Five Chinese crackers up your arse-hole
Bang bang bang bang bang !!!!!

• Haha

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Chewing the fat with workmates on things general monarchy.

Interesting observation. Whereas here in Australia the Republic issue generates quite a bit of discussion and debate - generally quite passionate at times. The two countries that share our form of governance most closely - those being, Canada and New Zealand - don't seem to have as much preoccupation and interest in the same conversation.

Bearing in mind they have been dominated by governments on the very progressive side of late and it still doesn't garner overly strong interest. Not that it doesn't get mentioned at all. PM Ardern did make comment this week. But even from the progressives who describe themselves as Republicans in those countries, it seems a fair way down the list of issues they feel strongly about. Kind of a "meh *shoulder shrug*......one day it'll probably happen, not sure when, maybe in my lifetime, not sure really....."

My understanding is that in Canada one major reason is that their constitution is even more difficult to change than ours. But also wonder whether the fact that Australia went through the dismissal, but Canada and NZ haven't gone through as controversial a constitutional issue of this nature, that it leads to more of an apathetic feeling in those countries.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Chewing the fat with workmates on things general monarchy.

Interesting observation. Whereas here in Australia the Republic issue generates quite a bit of discussion and debate - generally quite passionate at times. The two countries that share our form of governance most closely - those being, Canada and New Zealand - don't seem to have as much preoccupation and interest in the same conversation.

Bearing in mind they have been dominated by governments on the very progressive side of late and it still doesn't garner overly strong interest. Not that it doesn't get mentioned at all. PM Ardern did make comment this week. But even from the progressives who describe themselves as Republicans in those countries, it seems a fair way down the list of issues they feel strongly about. Kind of a "meh *shoulder shrug*......one day it'll probably happen, not sure when, maybe in my lifetime, not sure really....."

My understanding is that in Canada one major reason is that their constitution is even more difficult to change than ours. But also wonder whether the fact that Australia went through the dismissal, but Canada and NZ haven't gone through as controversial a constitutional issue of this nature, that it leads to more of an apathetic feeling in those countries.
I'd say the Dismissal was definitely a contributing factor, Pantsman. But it would have built on the greater influence, that being the large amount of Irish in our national DNA, with around 30% of the population having some Irish heritage compared with 13% for Canada (most of whom are Protestants) and 15% for New Zealand.

I'm from Irish Catholic stock, and antipathy towards the royals has been passed down the generations for hundreds of years. With good reason - they murdered and/or dispossessed our people, going back to Henry VIII but also including the attempted genocide that was the Potato Famine.

It's no coincidence early Irish settlers in Australia formed affinities with the blackfellas, nor that many Irish Catholic Australians (including Richmond footballers) refused to join the lemmings at Gallipoli when their own homeland was being brutally occupied by the country they were supposed to now go and fight for.

Reactions: 2 users