More fun and frivolity against us. (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

More fun and frivolity against us. (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Burke posied to retire
04 August 2003 AFL
By BRUCE MATTHEWS

ST KILDA great Nathan Burke is poised for an emotional send-off at Telstra Dome on Saturday night.

It would be the fitting venue for the gallant little Saint to drop the curtain on a grand career of 322 games spanning 17 seasons.

The decorated Saint, forced out yesterday by a thigh injury suffered last week, should be fit to resume against Richmond and he hinted yesterday that it could be his last game.

The away game against the Tigers would give St Kilda fans the opportunity to provide a fitting farewell for Burke rather than wait until one of the last three games at Optus Oval, York Park in Launceston or at Geelong.

Burke, 33, said on Triple M radio yesterday that he would confer with coach Grant Thomas to decide the most appropriate time to retire.

"I'll speak with Grant as we do regularly and we'll work out the best thing for me and the best thing for the footy club. Foremost, the best thing for the footy club and we'll probably make a definite decision one way or another very soon," Burke said.

"In a fairytale world, you would probably hate to finish your career playing at Geelong which is our last game.

"Our second last game is down in Tassie. These are the things we've got to take into consideration and do the right thing by our supporters as well as myself and the footy club. It's just another factor in our decision."

A televised Saturday night game under Telstra Dome's closed roof would be enticing for Saints fans to witness the final game from the courageous former skipper who has won the club best-and-fairest three times and been crowned All-Australian four times.

Burke has nothing left to prove and, with St Kilda unable to make the top eight, his retirement this week would leave a spot for selectors to trial another young player for the last three rounds.

"I've just been carrying a bit of a thigh the last couple of weeks and normally by Thursday it comes good and I can play no worries. But this week it just lingered on a little bit. I'll have one week off and play here next week," he said before yesterday's game against West Coast.

"Whenever it comes to an end, whether it's one year or 17 years, it's pretty emotional. But we'll get on with it, life goes on."

St Kilda believed Burke was preparing to play out the season. But a senior official said plans for a suitable farewell could be arranged if the club record-holder indicated today that he would be prepared to bow out in style on Saturday night.

Burke is even keener to get back into the team, even for one last time, after watching the Saints blast the Eagles at the Dome yesterday.

"We are starting to get a little bit of a home-ground advantage here. We are starting to play this ground better. It has taken three or four years to really get the hang of it," he said.

"You've got to move the ball quickly. It's not a big ground and sides flood back quickly if you move the ball slowly."

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Perhaps this week would be a good time to retire one of our players. Leon, Dunc and Matty Rogers have all been great servants of the club, but the pace of the game has left them behind.

If one of them have decided that they are not going to play next season, they could announce their retirement.

The young players that we are not going to be delist need to get some good game time under their belts.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Matty Rogers retired after ROUND 1 this year. he he.
Or was I dreaming that he has played MOST games this year.
I must stop taking those tablets.! ;)

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
St Kilda will join the long list of flogging celebrations against the Tigers and no doubt as in the past Tiger players will be the guest of honour. When there is an AFL party to had the tigers are always the first on the guest list

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Teams plan events like this around playing Richmond, because they know Richmond are weak, and it will guarantee the player a win in his send off, ala McCartney this year.

Wont make any difference, we will be flogged, might increase the margin from 12 goals to 14.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Its now a certainty that it will be Nathan Bourke's last game, Saw a breakig news thing on Fox Footy.

rr Well at least they'll give him a win for his final game.... ::)

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I see on the news that Burke wants to go into coaching. What's the bet he is an assistant at Tigerland next season?

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC
Richmond v StKilda Burke retires
Richmond v Essendon Sheedy anounces he is from Mars
and is returning home after Richmond game.
Richmond v Port, Port Anouces mocosin day all Port
supporters to wear mocosins.
Richmond v Hawthorn Shane Crawrord decides to retire
to follow his dream of becoming a hollywood movie star.
Why do we cop all these "special" moments ,because
they know that they will win. ???

tony

Its time to get serious
Jul 29, 2003
portland vic
I agree with all of the above comments, teams line up their special occasions against Richmond, because they know we will go weak at the knees and give in as soon the ball is bounced.
Well its about time the Richmond football club stood tall and showed some mongrel.For too long we have been the easy beats of the competition and i think this game should be the most important game this year.
To earn any respect and the prospect of increased membership next year ,Richmond must win this game, or forever be the laughing stock of the competition.
Tony

FoX

Tiger Cub
Jul 27, 2003
WJP said:
Richmond v Port, Port Anouces moccosin day all Port
supporters to wear moccosins.

I thought that was standard members attire fpr them ;)

plz dont forget mick martyns dads day! what next?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Let's look at the positive side of Burke's retirement this week - It's our home game and it will attract 5,000 - 10,000 more Saints fans to the game which means $100,000+ for our coffers.

Who cares about the emotion. Emotion in football lasts for about the first 10 minutes. It doesn't improve your disposal, or help you kick more goals. If we are good enough to win, we will.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The Boss said:
It's our home game and it will attract 5,000 - 10,000 more Saints fans to the game which means $100,000+ for our coffers.

I may have misunderstood what KL has said about the telstra dome deal before on the members' forum but I believe we get a fixed guaranteed amount of $$$ for our 4 home games no matter how many people turn up.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I also read that the game is ticketed as a Saints home game for their members as well to compensate for their game in Tassie earlier on.
I'm not sure of the details but it might pay to get there early enough to stake a good claim.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
tigerman said:
Perhaps this week would be a good time to retire one of our players. Leon, Dunc and Matty Rogers have all been great servants of the club, but the pace of the game has left them behind.

If one of them have decided that they are not going to play next season, they could announce their retirement.

The young players that we are not going to be delist need to get some good game time under their belts.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!
Late news Dunc is thinking of retirement ,he is giving it a long hard thought. :'( :'( :'( :'(

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
rosy3 said:
I also read that the game is ticketed as a Saints home game for their members as well to compensate for their game in Tassie earlier on.
I'm not sure of the details but it might pay to get there early enough to stake a good claim.

That's right rosy. Unless you have reserve seating at telstra dome it would pay to get there early.