More on Morton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

More on Morton

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004
I am definitely not one of the draft experts on this site, but from what I have gathered, this guy seems to have all the assets and attributes that we want and require:

- a matchwinner; can hold down CHF; gathers alot of the ball; kicks goals; takes floating Royce like marks; and can also dispose of the ball CORRECTLY i.e. hit a target.

If this is the case, I hope we take him as our first pick.

Please provide further detail because IMO it is he and Cotchin that we should go for........................am I the only one here that hopes we get the No. 2 pick? ;)

apoweragain

Tiger Cub
Aug 16, 2007
The Mighty Wozman said:
I am definitely not one of the draft experts on this site, but from what I have gathered, this guy seems to have all the assets and attributes that we want and require:

- a matchwinner; can hold down CHF; gathers alot of the ball; kicks goals; takes floating Royce like marks; and can also dispose of the ball CORRECTLY i.e. hit a target.

Please provide further detail because IMO it is he and Cotchin that we should go for........................am I the only one here that hopes we get the No. 2 pick? ;)

Overrated is Morton. Soft. Outside Wingman, think Oakley-Nicholls. Will never, never hold a spine poition. Wouldn't pick him with a top 10 pick.

The Mighty Wozman

Jul 22, 2004
apoweragain said:
The Mighty Wozman said:

Overrated is Morton. Soft. Outside Wingman, think Oakley-Nicholls. Will never, never hold a spine poition. Wouldn't pick him with a top 10 pick.

There seems to be a major disparity from you are saying to what others are - please specify.

apoweragain

Tiger Cub
Aug 16, 2007
The Mighty Wozman said:
apoweragain said:
The Mighty Wozman said:

There seems to be a major disparity from you are saying to what others are - please specify.

read my mock draft.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
For all his skill I am not sure Morton is the KPP some think he is. Seems to be more of a third tall type IMO.

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
too skinny be a kp and cant win his own ball

sounds like a typical richmond draftee

The Mighty Wozman

Jul 22, 2004
Some here will be unhappy, but I have heard from a reliable source that this guy could be our No. 2 and we will try and trade up one of our 18/19 picks for Rance in the top 10. The rest will be midfielders.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
The Mighty Wozman said:
Some here will be unhappy, but I have heard from a reliable source that this guy could be our No. 2 and we will try and trade up one of out 18/19 picks for Rance in the top 10. The rest will be midfielders.
I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Wonder who we are planning on using to trade up(assuming it's true.) Schulz?

The Mighty Wozman

Jul 22, 2004
evo said:
The Mighty Wozman said:
Some here will be unhappy, but I have heard from a reliable source that this guy could be our No. 2 and we will try and trade up one of out 18/19 picks for Rance in the top 10. The rest will be midfielders.
I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Wonder who we are planning on using to trade up(assuming it's true.) Schulz?

Nothing is ever certain - but I think that most here would acknowledge that I have never included a "reliable source" in a post until now.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Yeah,it wouldn't suprise me Wozza.I'm still thinking we'll go Cotchin but as I said,as far as I'm concerned Morton is no booby prize.Theres not alot in it.

if we go Morton,I won't complain.

BloodOath

Now this is a team!
Sep 1, 2004
Melbourne
I have suspected this for a while now especially with the context of the Mitch rumour.

For me the top 3 don't matter really its further down that this draft is going to become important.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
BloodOath said:
I have suspected this for a while now especially with the context of the Mitch rumour.

For me the top 3 don't matter really its further down that this draft is going to become important.

agree whoever we select with our 1st pick we will have a win....its the other picks we MUST get right.....or otherwise we have wasted another opportunity by having a crap year....

"just do it"

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Pass.

The last thing we need is another soft flanker. Don't care how good his kicking skills are.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Harry said:
Pass.

The last thing we need is another soft flanker. Don't care how good his kicking skills are.

For once I agree with this sad sack :hihi

Have we not learnt our lesson????

FFS People!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
BloodOath said:
Harry said:
Pass.

As a matter of interesy Sally how many time have you seen him play live?

Once against VMetro. Saw that game enough to come to the conclusion that his ball winning ability is weak/virtually non-existent. He wasn't injured nor was he tagged. He relies on galloping alone and receiving it on a wing or flank, then delivering. This is his game, this is his type. He is good at it but we do not need this type, not at pick 2.

We need strong inside ball winners with good skill. Morton is not this. We need big solid key position players. Morton is not this. He is a JON with more skill, a taller Houlihan, a Brendan Goddard. He would be a good player in a team that has a solid onball brigade that can feed him the ball. With us he will need to win contested ball because our core midfielders are not good enough to feed him cleanly. He would do well at Westcoast. He'd be frustrating and be frustrated with us.

This is a typical richmond selection. We want to put the roof up before the foundations and walls are set. We get excited with runs down the wing and penetrating kicks. But we neglect the lead up work to get to this position. JON over Hurn was a perfect example of this. Hurn would be perfect with us atm. If a clone of Foley was in the U18's we would overlook him with an early pick coz he has no x factor and no upside. This is where we get caught up and confused.

He is not a dud, but he is not for us considering where we are at. Other type of players will benefit us more than he will with pick 2.

Say we pick him. We plonk him on a wing and he can wait there while Foley gets squashed by heavy tags each week, and the likes of Johnson, and Tuck, scrape, wrestle and rush kick their disposals to a manned Richo. We don't have the smarts in the middle to utilise these players. Untill we have a cohesive ball winning, effective clearing on-ball brigade, your Mortons will be under utilised.

His "type" is not for us. Kruezer, Cotchin, Masten, Rance would benefit us much more than Morton would IMO.

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
good post Harry my sentiments exactly, when wallet took over he identified our lack of run and carry (particularly from behind) i think he has addressed this

he has brought lids, bling, casserley, conners, polo, white, king, JON - all into the team that run and carry

we have 1 genuine ball winning mid with class - foley

a smart reader in cogs but he has 2 knees reco'd

a grinder who lacks class in tuck

and an aging hack in johnson

no fit ruckmen

shut down foley and you shut down richmond

we need a big bodied mid who wins his own ball, protects his mates, tackles chases and blocks and has good decision making under pressure, a leader...... we have enough outside pace to support his own lack of pace

if this is Masten, Selwood or Cotchin then get them, it is certainly not Morton

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
whats morton done anyway?

played a couple of nice games during the champs when his side was on top and rolled the dice and ran forward, and he also robbed palmer of the larke medal, done nothing in senior wa footy

looks pretty and has upside :-[