More on Morton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

More on Morton

I still hold that there is very little if any difference between Kreuzer, Cotchin & Morton, ability wise, in this draft.

All are excellent juniors and it wouldn't surprise me if each spends some time in the future in the limelight as possibly the best player of the 2007 draft. Much like the scenario of comparing Hodge, Ball & Judd.

It is my feeling that these players will not be picked in the draft on ability criteria but on team needs.

Whichever way it goes, none of these players have any lack of talent.
The draft will be based on team needs.

For me, that's fine.
As I've said for a number of years, we should be recruiting the best of the players we need rather than the best of the players we want.

My only concern about this, relating to this year's draft, is that the 2007 draft pool does not offer us truly talented juniors in some areas that we have dire need.

I don't believe in drafting for need if the talent isn't there.

For our draft selectors,
This isn't an easy year to draft because of this aforementioned reason.
Last year was easy. You could pick anyone and get away with a good pick.
This year is more like 2005 where you can have a mis-pick and it will cost you.

As I've said all year, not much between Kreuzer, Cotchin & Morton.
The key will be who we can gain afterwards.

Needs yes, but if you can't fill that need with talent, then talent first.

Fair comments everyone -

but there are those at Richmond that like the notion of two quality spine players in Morton and Rance in one hit -banking on the fact that our midfield stocks will be in reasonable knick with the continual improvement in Casserley; Connors; Tambling; Edwards; Deledio; Foley; Polo; JON etc.

This is not to say that midfielders won't be on the agenda - but it will most likely be pick 19, and the next two after this, that will be utilised on midfielders.

Phantom said:
I still hold that there is very little if any difference between Kreuzer, Cotchin & Morton, ability wise, in this draft.

All are excellent juniors and it wouldn't surprise me if each spends some time in the future in the limelight as possibly the best player of the 2007 draft. Much like the scenario of comparing Hodge, Ball & Judd.

It is my feeling that these players will not be picked in the draft on ability criteria but on team needs.

For me, that's fine.
As I've said for a number of years, we should be recruiting the best of the players we need rather than the best of the players we want.

My only concern about this, relating to this year's draft, is that the 2007 draft pool does not offer us truly talented juniors in some areas that we have dire need.

For our draft selectors,

The Mighty Wozman said:
Fair comments everyone -

but there are those at Richmond that like the notion of two quality spine players in Morton and Rance in one hit -banking on the fact that our midfield stocks will be in reasonable knick with the continual improvement in Casserley; Connors; Tambling; Edwards; Deledio; Foley; Polo; JON etc.

This is not to say that midfielders won't be on the agenda - but it will most likely be pick 19, and the next two after this, that will be utilised on midfielders.
As before don't agree with this approach Phantom. Best player with rds 1 and 2 picks everytime.
Morton is exactly the wrong type WOZMAN. Are you actually a blue?

momentai said:
Phantom said:

For me, that's fine.

For our draft selectors,

The Mighty Wozman said:
Fair comments everyone -

As before don't agree with this approach Phantom. Best player with rds 1 and 2 picks everytime.
Morton is exactly the wrong type WOZMAN. Are you actually a blue?

c'mon momentai - I am not saying I want this pick/direction (I prefer Cotchin), but just am merely divulging what I have heard. :-\

Mr Magic said:
However fast forward 3 years and Morton will have added 10kg and replaced Bowden as the backline quarter back and I suspect we will all be a lot happier.

I like your eagerness Mr Magic, forecasting what could happen.

Connors is the only player currently who could replace Joel right now. It just goes to show, our team will undergo a massive restructure by 2011, and we also have Richo, Brown & Simmo to contemplate also.

and none of them have taken us anywhere in the past so whats the big deal

our midfield has been *smile* for 10 years and we have got by with average backs and fwds

kill them in the middle and the rest looks after itself - ala west coast

in 2 years our backline of polak, thursty, mcganne will be good enough if we are slaying them in the middle....

get genuine class in the middle and you will play finals regardless of what else you have
add a couple of good KPP back and fwd plus a solid ruck and you are going very close to a premiership

Tango said:

our midfield has been sh!te for 10 years and we have got by with average backs and fwds

in 2 years our backline of polak, thursty, mcganne will be good enough if we are slaying them in the middle....

get genuine class in the middle and you will play finals regardless of what else you have
add a couple of good KPP back and fwd plus a solid ruck and you are going very close to a premiership

Exactly.

Get a Morton and neglect our midfield and Morton will BE your Joel Bowden type quarter back rebounding from defence because that's where the ball will mostly be - IN OUR DEFENCE, and that's all Morton will be doing - REBOUNDING.

Tango said:

our midfield has been sh!te for 10 years and we have got by with average backs and fwds

Cothcin is the pick at 2, he is everything we lack. Skill, pace and great kicking skill. I still think that Cothcin is as good as kick as Morton. If there is any diference then there is not enough to make me pick a flanker over a onballer. Good lord.

The other BIG thing as to why we should pick Cotchin over others, especially interstaters, is that he won't want to go home.
This is just reinforced with the reports that Cotchin has been visiting Richmond doing training, rehab etc, where he would feel comfortable.
This has to be the easiest draft ever for our first pick; if Kruezer is gone, take Cotchin.

Shers said:
The other BIG thing as to why we should pick Cotchin over others, especially interstaters, is that he won't want to go home.
This is just reinforced with the reports that Cotchin has been visiting Richmond doing training, rehab etc, where he would feel comfortable.
This has to be the easiest draft ever for our first pick; if Kruezer is gone, take Cotchin.

.....and he has black & yellow through his veins.

dont care about were he feels comfortable or if he has B&Y in his veins

IS HE A GENUINE MID or a classy HFF
Will he chase, tackle, block and win his own ball in the guts at the centre bounce
has he got reasonable skills but excellent decision making under pressure
is he a leader

thats what we need at RFC anything thing less and we are wasting our time

i dont care where he comes from, who he barracks for or what his name is, if he is all of the above then get him, if not its Masten for me

I am not calling anyone's inside info in to question but I very much doubt we have decided which way we will go between Morton and Cotchin as yet, hence suggest taking any inside info with a grain of salt at this time. The final decision will likely be made post draft camp. I am merely pre-empting that decision in suggesting it will be Morton.

In truth I still think the opinions that matter in this decision are divided and it will be a case of who wins the argument this year.

Form over the next few weeks and draft camp results could well swing the decision one way or the other.

Mr Magic said:
In truth I still think the opinions that matter in this decision are divided and it will be a case of who wins the argument this year.

Let's hope it's Frank.

Its amazing how we all form opinions of players buy simply reading a few stats on them or on the rare ocasion see them play 1 game on the box.
I like everone else have formed an opinion on who I would prefer to get( over a whole 2 games ::)but the fact is we wont know who we "should"have taken for 3 or 4 years,it could be Cox ,Judd,Walsh in fornt of us it could be Shaffer,Hodge,Cornes it could be Lade,Flemming,Pavlich.

For the kids sake I hope they are all Champs but that we get the best of them

Got to agree with the darksiders for once on this one. Cotchin fulfills a more pressing need than Morton. I will be extremely disappointed if we pick Morton.

I would take Kreuzer if he slipped however.

IanG said:
Got to agree with the darksiders for once on this one. Cotchin fulfills a more pressing need than Morton. I will be extremely disappointed if we pick Morton.

I would take Kreuzer if he slipped however.

Likewise.

I just think that Cotchin is more of a "safe" option than Morton if that makes sense.

It just seems to me that we can't really lose out here by selecting one of those guys.

davidrodan said:
evo said:
Dyer'ere said:
Let's hope it's Frank.
Recently I've come to hope this is always the case.

Yep

We've forgiven him for JON pretty quickly. ;D And I can see why he opted for the Steamee. But IMO he had a good 2006 in his second year in the role, even hampered by our trading down in a super draft. It's like he was licensed to pick footballers. Viva!