Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
for those that like a tripped out thriller, I really enjoyed 'the perfection' on netflix.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
for those that like a tripped out thriller, I really enjoyed 'the perfection' on netflix.
HMmmm, I thought it went very stupid towards the end, almost like a bad black comedy. Cept it wasn’t.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
I am reading and hearing good things about The Nightingale scotty, have you seen that by any chance?

Nope. But it’s on an ever-growing list of what I want to see. Should be able to catch it this season given how thin it looks. I’m not buying The Irishman hype but The Last Thing he Wanted and Jojo Rabbit look promising. Let’s see what else comes out of Venice and Toronto in the next six weeks. Not holding my breath.

Reactions: 1 user

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Yes, enough with the incessant superhero nonsense and endless Transformer sequels.

Korean films are the best! I like these classics:

Memories of Murder (provincial Korean cops trying to solve serial killer mystery - allegory of Korean politics of the 70s)
The Chaser (relentless minder for hookers tries to rescue one from a relentless serial killer of hookers)
Yellow Sea (Korean gangster makes enemy of the boss - violence ensues)
Bittersweet Life (Korean gangster makes enemy of the boss etc etc)
Old Boy (of course, the most accessible of the Vengeance trilogy)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (more arthouse-y than Old Boy)
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (even more arthouse-y)

Super arthouse but great, anything by Kim Ki-Duc - Samaria, 3-Iron, Winter Spring Summer Fall etc etc.

...if you haven't seen it yet check out Akira Kurosawa's Stray Dog - fabulous cop movie. Existential, beautifully shot and directed and think it was the first flick to use hidden cams in black markets post atom bomb.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
...if you haven't seen it yet check out Akira Kurosawa's Stray Dog - fabulous cop movie. Existential, beautifully shot and directed and think it was the first flick to use hidden cams in black markets post atom bomb.

Thanks Glantone - I've seen Ran, Hidden Fortress, Rashomon and Seven Samurai of course... will check out Stray Dog.

glantone

Jun 5, 2007
Thanks Glantone - I've seen Ran, Hidden Fortress, Rashomon and Seven Samurai of course... will check out Stray Dog.
Hidden Fortress what a classic fairytale...also fabulous Red Beard, Yojimbo (Toshiro Mifune - clear leader on my all time heroes ladder) and the beautiful and stunning Dersu Uzala. Enjoy :)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Kagemusha is meant to be great, one of Kurosawa's late works. Apparently Sergio Leone copied it almost frame by frame for a Fistful of Dollars. So Seven Samurai became The Magnificent Seven, Hidden Fortress influenced Star Wars... Kurosawa was so influential.

glantone

Jun 5, 2007
Kagemusha is meant to be great, one of Kurosawa's late works. Apparently Sergio Leone copied it almost frame by frame for a Fistful of Dollars. So Seven Samurai became The Magnificent Seven, Hidden Fortress influenced Star Wars... Kurosawa was so influential.
Yeah I'm a real fan. It took a bit to culturally adjust to Japanese or his cinematic story telling sensibilities but once reoreintated holy *smile* what amazing stories. And his sense of composition ... like watching moving post cards. And he always addressed the big issues - life, death, responsibility, honour. What a joy....

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

A Fistful of Dollars was a copy of Yojimbo. If you want a different side of Kurosawa watch Ikiru.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
A Fistful of Dollars was a copy of Yojimbo. If you want a different side of Kurosawa watch Ikiru.

Oh yeah, thanks for the correction IanG. I've read about Ikiru but not watched it yet.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. Worth seeing but I'd rather watch Basterds, Pulp or Jackie Browne another five times each before seeing it again.
Saw it last night. Tarantino created a sensational version of 1969. Music was evocative of a simpler time and the ending was brilliant. (Stay till the end of the credits.)

Big statement, but better than Pulp Fiction, because it had multiple dimensions. Pitt and DiCaprio were in top form.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Yep, agree, saw it yesterday, loved it. Didnt see that ending coming.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Tarantino’s latest is assured but too self-indulgent for mine. Even the violence in the last 20min misses the bar for ‘comedic violence’ set by American Psycho.

Not a patch on earlier, cooler Tarantino

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I watched Black KKKlansman which was great so I downloaded the book on iTunes but it was pretty bad, dull, short (111 pages) yet still drawn out. I can see why the movie added storyline’s. A rare case of the film being better than the book.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
The Farewell is great. Awkwafina in fine form but the granny steals the show in what is an excellent insight into Chinese culture.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Geez the movie industry is in a slump. I thought about seeing a movie today. Here’s the choices aside from OUATIH:

Angry birds 2
Angel has fallen 3
Dora
Downton abbey
Fast and furious 19
It 2
Good boys
The kitchen

What a boring, uninspiring lump of crud. I wouldn’t watch any of them for free on Netflix or Stan let alone pay $22.