Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Geez the movie industry is in a slump. I thought about seeing a movie today. Here’s the choices aside from OUATIH:

Angry birds 2
Angel has fallen 3
Dora
Downton abbey
Fast and furious 19
It 2
Good boys
The kitchen

What a boring, uninspiring lump of crud. I wouldn’t watch any of them for free on Netflix or Stan let alone pay $22.

If you are in Oz, go see Parasite. Masterpiece.

Reactions: 2 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Ad Astra - another adventure/mutiny-in-space-tale that didn't do it for me. Actually shocked by the overwhelmingly positive reviews. It was OK but the concept has been done to death and usually far better.

Hustlers, however, was great. I'd give J-Lo an Oscar nom. Better if you haven't read the story it's based on but still highly entertaining if you have. This is the film that Verhoeven should have made when he made Showgirls.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
El Camino: A Breaking bad movie. Not bad but a little dull and drawn out.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I saw Nico 1988 the other day. It doesn't cover the heady '60s with Velvet Underground and Warhol, focusing more on her last 2-3 years. While I was more interested in her earlier stuff, this part of her life was revealing, albeit sad.

She had a prosaic death for someone who lived the life she did.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Always a risk watching a favourite movie you haven't seen for a long time. Regret watching Reservoir Dogs the other night now.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Always a risk watching a favourite movie you haven't seen for a long time. Regret watching Reservoir Dogs the other night now.

Pulp Fiction is the Tarantino that really dated badly for me. Everything fresh about it at the time has now turned to *smile*.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Pulp Fiction is the Tarantino that really dated badly for me. Everything fresh about it at the time has now turned to ****.
Gee was gonna watch that next.

Fortunately Goodfellas has aged well for me.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The Irishman: excellent, long but never dull.

sisters Brothers: long and slow and pretty dull. Never liked westerns.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm sure most are across this, but after a very short run at the cinemas, The Irishman is now on Netflix.

Movies seem to be making their way to home video quicker now. Ad Astra is due out before Christmas. Even Bohemian Rhapsody, which did very well, was in JB Hi-Fi just over three months from the release date.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Movies seem to be making their way to home video quicker now. Ad Astra is due out before Christmas. Even Bohemian Rhapsody, which did very well, was in JB Hi-Fi just over three months from the release date.
The Irishman was largely funded by Netflix, hence the short cinema run.

It was good, not great, for mine. The de-ageing was a bit distracting, especially with Pesci calling De Niro "kid".

Joker was what should be an Oscar-winning turn for Joaquin, and I loved the concept and much of the execution, but some of the dialogue and plot devices were a bit clunky and on the nose. Could have been a 5-star film, I'll give it 4.

What I will give 5 stars to is another I caught up with the other night: Free Solo. Holy shitballs that was gripping, pardon the pun.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The Irishman was largely funded by Netflix, hence the short cinema run.

It was good, not great, for mine. The de-ageing was a bit distracting, especially with Pesci calling De Niro "kid".

Joker was what should be an Oscar-winning turn for Joaquin, and I loved the concept and much of the execution, but some of the dialogue and plot devices were a bit clunky and on the nose. Could have been a 5-star film, I'll give it 4.

What I will give 5 stars to is another I caught up with the other night: Free Solo. Holy shitballs that was gripping, pardon the pun.
Yeah, I watched Free Solo recently too, very good.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, the streaming service ones are because they give their films a token cinema release to qualify for awards. So Netflix's The Irishman and Amazon Primes "Brittany runs a marathon" and "The Report" come on to the streaming service a few weeks after their cinema release.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
People just don't go to the movies as often as they used to. Those who do are mainly Marvel kids, so that's what we get.

I watched Kramer vs. Kramer on Netflix the other night. Great film that was a hit in its day, would be lucky to see a big screen these days.