Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
2021 film

1. CODA
2. King Richard
3. West Side Story
4. Tick, Tick...Boom
5. Belfast
6. Drive My Car
7. The Lost Daughter
8. Don't Look Up
9. The Eyes of Tammy Faye
10. Spider-Man: No Way Home

478. The Power of the Dog

*Quo Vadis, Aida would have been number one and The Father would have would have been number two but they were 2020 films.

2021 Docs

1. Making their Mark :love:
2. Flee
3. The Rescue
4. Attica
5. The Facility
What is the issue with Power of the Dog (I haven't seen it but seems to be getting some good wraops)

Reactions: 1 user

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
What is the issue with Power of the Dog (I haven't seen it but seems to be getting some good wraops)
It's totally irrational. I didn't buy Benedict, had read the book, which I didn't like, and think that Jesse Plemons was perfectly cast for BB and the Black Mirror ep but nothing else.

Yet I was a bit unfair. The score is amazing, the cinematography is great and Campion makes the best of a slow-burning drama.

But it was too long, which is becoming a feature of Netflix films.

Anyway, can see why critics love it and I thought it was better second time around but didn't do a lot for me. More of a personal thing than anything technical.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It's totally irrational. I didn't buy Benedict, had read the book, which I didn't like, and think that Jesse Plemons was perfectly cast for BB and the Black Mirror ep but nothing else.

Yet I was a bit unfair. The score is amazing, the cinematography is great and Campion makes the best of a slow-burning drama.

Anyway, can see why critics love it and I thought it was better second time around but didn't do a lot for me. More of a personal thing than anything technical.
cheers scotty. Surprised you put yourself through a second viewing.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
cheers scotty. Surprised you put yourself through a second viewing.

I like re-watching films. Ones I love and, at least for a second time, ones that my opinion is at odds with the masses. Sometimes, you can downgrade a film because of your mood. I thought Pulp was a mess at first screening. Now I can recite it verbatim.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I like re-watching films. Ones I love and, at least for a second time, ones that my opinion is at odds with the masses. Sometimes, you can downgrade a film because of your mood. I thought Pulp was a mess at first screening. Now I can recite it verbatim.
Ha i get that. I remember being told to watch Angel Heart and I thought it was nonsensical on first viewing. Realised afterwards i couldn't stop thinking about it so rewatched it. I've now probably watched it a dozen times over the years.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Didn’t like The Shining when I first saw it. Damned if I could figure out why I could remember whole scenes and couldn’t stop talking about it for years after. Saw it again and realised it was a masterpiece.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ha i get that. I remember being told to watch Angel Heart and I thought it was nonsensical on first viewing. Realised afterwards i couldn't stop thinking about it so rewatched it. I've now probably watched it a dozen times over the years.
Mickey Rourke was really good in that one.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I watched it and really can't see the appeal. The plot was slow moving and predictable, the characters are one dimensional and it was bleedingly obvious from the beginning why the Cumberbatch character was the way he was. I don't like being bored by a film so didn't bother watching again.

Been buying Bogart movies on Blu-Ray of late, I just love the way his characters, in the better films, are neither good nor bad, they are multi-dimensional and complex. A huge contrast to Power of the Dog, films that make you question the main character played by the leading actor.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

it is slow but the payoff was great IMO. Thought BC was great, Plemmons just played the straight man. Dunst was good and Kodi Smit McPhee amazing.

Definitely not to everyone's taste though.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Tender Bar and French Exit, 2 very dull and underwhelming films. Can't recommend.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Watching Peter Jackson’s real life, 3 part doco on the making of the Let It Be album by the Beatles.

Simply staggering.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Watched “The Pledge” with Jack Nicholson last nite. It’s from 2001 directed by Sean Penn.

Fantastic mystery. Can’t recommend enough.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Gold.......! (Stan)Anything but!
Thought I'd stick it out to see how it ended.

Would it be spoiling things to say this is really *smile* house? When the writer, producer, director gives himself one of only 3 real roles ya know it's gonna be a dog.... actually the dogs are the best actors of the lot!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched House of Gucci last night. All well acted by everyone and looked good but trying to cram 25 years of story of the Gucci family means it's quite rushed (even though it goes for 2&1/2 hours!). Should've been a ten parter mini series.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
The Worst Person in the World. 4/5.

Norwegian drama with a smashing performance by the lead, who won best actress at Cannes.

Definitely not for the puritanical but deliciously engaging for anyone who wants to re-live their 30s.

• Love

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Some Classic Comedy Movie Clips
History of The World Part 1
Life of Brian
Airplane/Flying High

Reactions: 2 users