MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Yeah, pretty stiff i reckon- Greene deserves plenty of his suspensions, and has probably gotten away with other things that he should have got done for, but in this instance to me it looks like he is going for the mark than protects himself very late once he realises he isnt going to get there.
I reckon a few other players might have got off in the same circumstances.
And if he played for Richmond, he would have gotten 4 weeks.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Standing under a high ball and running back with the flight are the bravest acts in footy. They are brave because you get smashed-it's inevitable. You can't really penalise somebody for something that can't be avoided.
Yeah, it's harsh on Greene. As Jazz says, the other bloke must bear responsibility for putting himself in harm's way. Remember this incident:

This kind of stuff used to happen semi-regularly, maybe not to the extent that Lewis was ko'd, but the foolhardiness of running back without looking was lauded as courageous, and anyone who looked or pulled out was derided as a squib. I think that attitude's changing, as it should. No one wants to see this.

Have a look. Look after yourself. It's not cowardice, it's self-preservation. Use your brain, to look after it.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
On the p!ss clearing Hogan....I laugh. Admittedly, nothing in it as it wasn't even a slap to the face, but you'd think his action as we've seen with others in the past would at least cause a fine.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He actually has his arms in a chest mark position up until he leaves his feet. He then braces for contact when the Carlton guy gets there at the same time. His eyes never leave the ball. What about the responsibility of the idiot going back with the flight? Surely he cannot play recklessly and get rewarded and expect everyone else to jump out of his way? What gives him such rights over a guy coming the other way? Surely everyone doesn't have to give way just because he can't see them?

Ridiculous. The game cannot ignore the responsibility of all players, not just some going in the opposite direction to others.

And it all happens in a blink.
It's a 360 degree game, you are permitted to attack the ball from any direction you like. There was only one of two players that made the effort to reach out and attempt to mark the ball. Toby on the other hand had his arms folded across his chest as he approached the contest and then turned and tucked the shoulder in, refused to make any attempt to mark the ball.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
75kg Jack Higgins gets 3 weeks for hanging off a 95kg Allir Allir as he tries to bust his way past him.

Thats a pretty big nail in the coffin for me.

Its not footy thats losing me, its AFL

Reactions: 6 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
75kg Jack Higgins gets 3 weeks for hanging off a 95kg Allir Allir as he tries to bust his way past him.

Bloody little thug, been doin it all game!

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

How on earth is Higgins supposed to be responsible for Allir kicking the ball in a tackle? Cooked!!!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The fear of litigation re concussion is reshaping the game so quickly.
This generation of players that have grown up playing a certain way are being punished hard for things they would consider basic football actions.
The next gen of footballers will play the game very differently assuming there is one.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Thought 2 weeks tops.
Ross is going to blow his belt buckle off his pants tonight

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bit harsh the poor little Higlet copping 3 weeks. Reckon I'd be challenging that Allir contributed to the impact by throwing himself off balance by attempting to kick while tackled and refusing to use his free arm to protect himself. Duty of care goes both ways in my book.

LachlanGrant

Tiger Rookie
Oct 26, 2007
Hope the saints contest this, it's unfortunate aliir got a concussion but Higgins was just trying to tackle the bigger player. It was a football action.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
This generation of players that have grown up playing a certain way are being punished hard for things they would consider basic football actions.
The next gen of footballers will play the game very differently assuming there is one.
Good discussion point

Bear in mind that the game of the 2020's is very different from the 1980's and even that was different to the 1960's (just to pick decades when Richmond won flags)

Will the actual difference between today's game and that of the next generation in (say) the 2040's be any more or less that between those other other generations - such as above?

I certainly don't know and can't say I'm looking forward to what might happen either - but some changes are inevitable

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Already its strange to watch players, skilled smart players, get halfway through a tackle then ease back, and sometimes almost put the tackled oppo player to bed and tuck them in.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Some of the next gen like Daicos, Harley Reid, Butters, Rozee, both Ashcrofts, Ginnivan et al drop their knees to cause high contact. For all the talk of Reid as the new don't argue master, he performs this b!tch act in preference three times as often.

They do it because they're incentivised to. Get to the ball first, drop your knees, arch your back and headbutt your opponent's arm and we'll look after you. Classic *Dusty Moment*. :sarcasm

Reactions: 8 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thought 2 weeks tops.
Ross is going to blow his belt buckle off his pants tonight

its a fine for a Geelong player.

other than wave Allir past, I dont know what Higgins was suppose to do?

95kg bloke attempting to cannon past a 75kg bloke,

little bloke hangs off big bloke, big blokes momentum results in concussion.

The AFL might tick off 1/E=MC2?