My 2004 List in a perfect world | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My 2004 List in a perfect world

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I have been thinking over the last few days - actually while looking at the finals and focusing on certain players who I think would be good for the Tigers that I should try and put together a full list of players for 2004.

This list is based solely on what I would like not what we are likely to get. In other words what my RFC list for 2004 would look like in my perfect world.

Special thanks to the H/Sun for putting a list of who may possibly be the top 10 kids going around. I have removed Cooney simply because he will go number 1 pick and we don't have that and wont get it - so that dreams a bust ;). My focus was on trade for people 25 or under. I wouldn't consider picking up anyone over 25.

Here goes:

Keeps from 2003 list

Blumfield
Chaffey
Coughlan
Dragicevic
Fiora
Fleming
Gaspar
Holland
Johnson
Andy Kellaway
Krakouer
McGarth
Newman
Nicholls
Ottens
Richardson
Rodan
Schulz
Sipthorp
Stafford
Tivendale
Vardy
Zantuck = 23

Vetrans

Campbell
Duncan Kellaway - personally I think Duncs should call it a day but he has indicated he will continue. So he stays
Rogers - again he has given no indication he intends to call it quits. And at 30 no-one is going to take him. So he stays.

= 3

Promotions for our Rookies

Shir - he fits into the category that the Club spoke of at the Forum out at the Wantrina Club - 21-22 can play AFL straight away. So must be worth a try
Kelvin Moore - goods skills - marked in 2003 as a prject player - worth a punt

= 2

Trades:

Stevens (23)
Scotland (22)
Henneman (22)
Hadrill (22) = 4

Drafts
Tom Roach
Troy Chaplin (17, 193cm)
Brock McLean
Beetham (ex St Kilda 20 yo - falls into the category the Club is after and was a former top 10 pick ?)
Andrew Walker (17yo and kick with either foot ;))
And finally - there is a fellow who plays for Port Melbourne - I think he is about 21-22 Aboringinal and has the most incredible skills - who's name I have compledtely forgotten but will look out for today when I am watching the VFL finals and will post then.

= 6

Total list = 38

Rookies can have a maximum of 6
We must fill this list with 18-19 yo (4) and then complete it with 2 either de-listed players or perhaps a couple blokes from Coburg eg DePasquale (sp?)

Comments/thoughts?

MCG

Tiger Rookie
Aug 11, 2003
I think your list of those that we will keep may be spot on although we may do an unexpected trade. I like your choice of players from other clubs, but no doubt it will turn out differently from that. Not sure about Beethan. He obviously had a few problems and am not sure we want a player with any baggage although he can certainly play good footy. He is playing for Old Xavs at the moment & doing quite well. They are playing today so I should be able to give you a report on him later. The Port player is Davies ( I think ) He's doing well today & will get picked up.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
Trades:

Stevens (23)
Scotland (22)
Henneman (22)
Hadrill (22) = 4

Comments/thoughts?

I don't understand what you're trading for these 4 players. Might as well say Judd, Reiwoldt etc etc if we don't give some indication of how how trades could be organised.

Who are the 4 players you've removed from your list as trade bait for the 4 players you want?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Koalalill said:
Shir - he fits into the category that the Club spoke of at the Forum out at the Wantrina Club - 21-22 can play AFL straight away. So must be worth a try

I'm actually surprised the club isn't looking further ahead than "21 - 22, can play AFL straight away"!

If a club is looking to rebuild, why wouldn't we trade for draft picks rather than this type of player. It's like they think that with a few band-aids we are a chance next year.

Biddiscombe, Nicholls, Houlihan all basically fall into this category at the time they were picked up and are the main probs with our current list.

This isn't a critisism of what you think. I think your thoughts are fair enough - just surprised that the club has said this!

B

brownlow2003

Koalalill said:
And finally - there is a fellow who plays for Port Melbourne - I think he is about 21-22 Aboringinal and has the most incredible skills - who's name I have compledtely forgotten but will look out for today when I am watching the VFL finals and will post then.

the Port Boy is Aaron Davey

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
Nicholld shouldn't stay, you can't give him another contract based on half a good game against the hwkers. Vardy should gone, done nothing good for us this season. You forgot King on the tradeable list. Rogers, i think he doesn't have any fuel left in the tank, give him the option of putting him on the draft. I never heard of Shir, seems like a hot prospect, tell me more about him.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
I don't understand what you're trading for these 4 players. Might as well say Judd, Reiwoldt etc etc if we don't give some indication of how how trades could be organised.

Firstly, Stevens and Hadrill are out of contract. Henneman and Scotland are doing the rumour mill as possible trades. How I got them and what we needed to do to get them was not what my list is about. All I was trying to say was in absolutely perfect world where we can pull off unbelievable deals this are the players from other clubs I would go for and that I think would be of benefit to the RFC

rosy3 said:
Who are the 4 players you've removed from your list as trade bait for the 4 players you want?

What does it matter? But in answer to your question..

Trade baits are all players who are not on my list for next year. The main candidates would be Hall, Hilton, Bowden and KPettifer. I can just see Carlton taking a Pettifer off our hands. Denis Pagan loves a challenge ;)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
What does it matter? But in answer to your question..

What does anything on here matter if it comes to that? ::)

I was just interested. We could all name a dream team of who we'd like if we're not offerering suggestions of how we'd obtain players.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
I agree, there is no point in suggesting players that won't appear at tigerland next season. We have to think realisticly and see which players could actually end up playing for us.

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
Koalalill said:
rosy3 said:

What does it matter?

You did ask for thoughts/comments. :-\ Agree it's a pointless exercise to just pluck names out of the air. There has to be some realistic explanation how you plan to obtain their services.

Maybe in a "perfect world" you don't have to trade for players. Richmond would probably still stuff up. ;D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
EyeOfTheTiger said:
You did ask for thoughts/comments. :-\ Agree it's a pointless exercise to just pluck names out of the air. There has to be some realistic explanation how you plan to obtain their services.

Oki Doki this how I got Stevens, Henneman, Scotland and Hadrill.

1. I traded Joel Bowden and KPettifer and our 4th round pick for Nathan Brown of the Bulldogs and their 4th Round Pick.

2. I on traded Nathan Brown and traded Adam Houlihan to the Blues for their priority pick being pick number 2 overall. I reckon the Blues would do just about anything to get Brown

3. I traded our 1st pick(number 6 overall) and the 4th round pick from the Bulldogs for Nick Stevens

4. I traded Ray Hall and 2nd round pick for Henneman and the Bombers 1st round pick

5. I traded Rory Hilton and our 4th & 5th round picks for Soctland and C'woods 2nd round pick

6. I traded our 2nd round and 5th round picks for Hadrill

This would leave us with
Pick 2,
The bombers 1st round pick - so that would make 2 picks in the first 20.
C'woods 2nd round pick which is equivalent to a 3rd round pick and what whatever we had left after that.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
I am not sure about the above. There are too many if's and but's .

In relation to Henneman, I would not consider him. Like many of the other players Richmond have drafted/traded for over the last few years, Henneman is a fringe player at another club. Cannot expect a fringe player at one club to come accross and dominate at another. He would add no more value at Richmond than Holland already is.

In terms of general policy, IMO Richmond should at a minimum preserve their pick 6 in the draft and obtain players from other clubs by trading our players and not giving up our top draft pick. If we could get a top 5 draft pick for Bowden or Richo, I say go for it and let the "rebuilding" commence.

R

rampagingtiger

I reckon the club will chase one big name player...and 2 early picks in the draft atleast (by early i mean in the top 6 picks).