Time to clear the decks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Time to clear the decks

Ozibloke11

taking it one week at a time...
Feb 22, 2003
I have watched the Pies, Freo, StKilda, even the Cats, recruit and recruit well. A laughing stock for several years, two of those sides will contest the finals this year and I think the other two will give it a shake next year. We, meanwhile, missed out again.

With that in mind, I think it is time to bite the bullet. We simply have too many failed experiments on our list. Richmond should declare "recycling" a dirty word.

Kids and lots of them. That is the answer, my friends. Recruit them, teach them, PLAY them. Play them week in, week out. Lose regularly, but stick with them for three years and hey presto ! You will make the finals.

To do this you need space on the list. I have no idea where the following names are regarding contracts but If I was running the joint, these are the guys who get marching orders this year (and by the way, if I can trade them I would do so for draft picks not more dead wood)

So without further ado, here we go...

Craig Biddiscombe - not up to AFL level

Clinton King - too short and light

Kayne Pettifer - No Kayne it is nobody else's fault you lead to a pocket and the ball goes out of bounds.

Matt Rogers - a great servant of the club but time to go home to S.A.

Duncan Kellaway - a professional footballer should be able to kick a football with at least one foot

Royce Vardy - skill level too low, decision making suspect

Rory Hilton - was great a few years ago but since then injuries and lack of game time have blunted his impact

Ok, I'm sure I will cop heaps from some of you but we need the space. Leon Cameron's departure frees up another spot. Bill Nicholls, Tim Fleming, Chris Hyde & Chris Newman all almost made the list but I think they deserve a season of major game time before they go on next years departure list.

There are several hundred kids available to be drafted each year. I don't believe that we cant find 8 stars outside the top 20...

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Newman had a good year doing a lot of work that goes unnoticed and unheralded.

There is no way known that you would delist him.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Ozibloke11 said:
Ok, I'm sure I will cop heaps from some of you but we need the space. Leon Cameron's departure frees up another spot. Bill Nicholls, Tim Fleming, Chris Hyde & Chris Newman all almost made the list but I think they deserve a season of major game time before they go on next years departure list.

Would think that NEWMAN would be pretty safe.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Fair enough OB.

Most of the others that you have mentioned seem reasonable except I wouldn't delist Hilton. I would consider trading him but you wouldn't just drop him off the list - he has some value.

Also feel sorry for Royce Vardy. He battled hard early on in the year when we were down on big men and IMO didn't do a bad job. Would have thought he could have come back into the side after Gas went down but is obviously out of favour with Frawley and Co. He was a big guy that could have competed with some of the opposition tall forwards. As it was he wasn't utilised.

It's AAAALLLLL OOOVVEEERRRR !!!!!
Sep 2, 2003
Ascot Vale
Craig Biddiscombe, Clinton King, Kayne Pettifer, Royce Vardy, Rory Hilton, Bill Nicholls, Tim Fleming and Chris Hyde. Could Sheedy turn any of these players AFL career around? PS Ben Haynes

P

PuntRoadRoar

its time to clear the decks... the iceburg is coming

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
Good post Ozibloke, there's been a lot of conjecture on this subject of late!

We definately need to draft good kids, but I would never rule out recycled players either. The thing we need is balance - Collingwood and Port are two clubs who have both traded and drafted well at the same time.

It's really the recruiting as a whole, or should I say, "holistic recruiting" that is required at Punt Road. That means both kids and mature recruits. The trick is they have to be good ones!

In terms of delisting, surely we have to get rid of the worst first - players who will never make it: King, Vardy, Biddiscome, Houlihan, Mills. Hyde is on thin ice, but just might hang on another year.

Cameron has retired - will DK and Rogers retire? If they do, and the above five go, that's already 8 players gone.

Next, is looking at trades. I'd like to see them try really hard to get some quality early picks for senior players. I personally, and I know I'll be howled down here, think that Richardson should go. He won't play in our next flag and I thoroughly believe that both his playing style and attitude on the field are badly flawed and will never be remedied. It's the last year we'll be able to get anything for him.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I agree with most that has been said here especially about getting a good mix of youngster and proven players who are still young. Collingwood and St.Kilda seem to have done it well as have the Dockers. Most of their list are long term players.

One thing we do desperately need appears to be leg speed. Maybe it is just me, but we appear to be a yard slower than most of the other good running teams. probably just looks worse due to our stop start style of play at the moment.

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Ozibloke i agree with pretty much everything that you have said.BUT

you have to be kidding yourself in regards to Chris Newman being nearly on the list of players to get the flick. Not only did he play eveygame this season but has been one of our best and more importantly most consistant players all year. I would go as far as to say that i would bet my balls that he finishes top 10 in the Jack Dyer Medal and will most certainly get our most improved award for this season. On a statistical side of things he averaged 13.2 pos. per game this season which isnt too bad seeing that most of his roles where of a defensive nature.

We need more of these players at Richmond, he does all the one % things, takes the FIRST option(take note Bowden) and hardly turns it over.

I am sure that the club has lined him to be a future leader as he DOES lead by example with his courage and will to win the footy.

Well done on a great season Chris.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
shawry said:
Sheedy wouldnt let Pettifer's attitude b the way it is he would whip him in line and no doubt bring out the best in him. He has talent.

Your'e not saying that Frawley's not up to it - are you shawry?

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
I'd pretty much agree with all the names on the list at the start of this thread (except Newman). Personally I think that good season or bad it would be a smart policy to routinely draw a line under your bottom 6-8 players every year (barring obvious exceptions for youth and injury) and turn them over.

I also agree that we need to be pretty agressive in the trades "if" good swaps come up. Unlike some posters I think that our top six players have value and while all are potential trades I'd need either a first or multiple second round picks to warrant a swap.