My analysis of the game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My analysis of the game

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Where do I start.

First of all we play a very ugly style of game where Frawely is too concerned about grinding out games and flooding our defence. From the onset let me just say this - even though the bulldogs are bottom of the ladder they play a better, more exciting brand of footy than we do - even though we have been winning games. Frawely has to take responsibility for this.

Last night we were too richo conscious. every time we took it out of defence, the player with the ball only had eyes for richo. Richo would lead to the wings and the player would 9 times out of ten kick it long to him. Now because we continually flood back, the majority of our players are in our defensive fifty which meant that the roos had the numbers at the contest with Richo and time and time again the roos were getting the easy possession.

The worse thing about this was that our players were not looking for other options to kick to, and were not looking into the middle, or to link up via hanballs, running through the lines through the centre. It was get the ball and kick it long - a game plan outdated by 20 years.

As I've stated a couple of months ago we had no players being prepared to run hard from behind the play and demand a handball, to be able to play on at all times and create momentum in our play. Stop start, static ugly play was what we were/are about. We do not run in waves and link up through the guts and Frawely has to be responsible for not instructing players to do so and for not practicing this at training.

Another effect of delivering constantly to Richo was that other players were not trying hard to make another option, as they knew that the ball would go to richo so why bother.

Frawely could have and should have done something about this. Either told richo not to lead out to the wings so often and told him to stay in the forward fifty, or dragged Chaffey or A kellaway who were constantly kicking it long to him where he was outnumbered and Frawely should have instructed them to utilise other options. Frawely should have done something but didn't.

People have mentioned that the Rodan mistake cost us the game and that he shouldn't have taken on 3 players. I disagree - Rodan should have been congratulated for taking on the opposition and backing himself - something we don't do enough. Instead what does Frawely do - takes him off for the rest of the game. Don't be surprised that next time when Rodan is put in a similar situation that Rodan will put ball to foot and kick it long, anywhere. Frawely - are you trying to encourage players to have a go and be attacking and exciting or are you trying to inhibit them and force them into their shells.

As you can see I'm back on the sack Frawely bandwagon and I totally agree with Diggler and Laff that he should go. Miller I hope you are listening.