My review of the TIGER 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My review of the TIGER 22

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well what can I say about that one?? Most of the tigers looked like they were running in high heels for most of the night!
As Danny said "too many passengers" even with Pettifer out of the team.

Rodan - Flying under the radar at the moment. finding it hard to get into space. Down on form but we should persist with him in the 1's

Stafford - One of the best tigers on the ground and was getting nearly all of the tap outs. But what good is it if your midfield aren't hungry enough to receive them.

Zantuck - IMO this guy is getting better with every game. Was one of the few shining lights on the night and showed a lot of courage.

Newman - was great early but not all that far off the pace for most of the night. Expect better next week.

Coughlan - Poor disposal for most of the night. Was down on form but still better than most of the others on the night. Maybe not 100% fit as he looked a little tentative at times.

Krakouer - Once again showed plenty of fight and played well for most of the game. As I have said before, the attitude is right, the opportunities just weren't there on the night.

King - Actually made a solid effort for most of the time he was on the ground but just doesn't have the qualities to be a matchwinner which we so desperately needed on the night.

Hilton - Coburg.... No make that Euroa. Crap performance. disinterested. no confidence. Did not convert vital opportunities early in the game. When he was lining up for shots on goal, he had "point" written all over his face.

Fiora - Coburg

Vardy - Coburg. But with Hall down on form he may have to stay.

Hall - this guy is way down on form and still can't kick. Got a few tap outs on the night but only because the opposition ruck was substandard.

Flemming - misguided enthusiasm. Needs to improve his disposal. But there were worse out there on the night.

Johnson - not one of his best performances but was tagged well on the night and as there weren't many other tigers that looked threatening he remained tagged for most of the game. Look for better next week.

Cameron - what can I say?? way down on form. As far as passengers went on the night he had a first class ticket with Skybed. Really needs to lift!

Richardson - Tried pretty hard all night but most of our kicks from the midfield put him under a lot of pressure due to poor delivery. Playing well, just needs more quality opportunities.

Kellaway - was pretty solid for most of the night but was also down on form. Expect better next week.

Gaspar - was great early and kept Hall to just 7 possesions for the night. Another solid effort and is doing his job every week. I just wish a few others were as consistent as he is at the moment.

Rogers - Did a reasonably good job on Schneider and was solid. No reason to drop him at this stage.

Houlihan - Did pretty well for the time he was on the field but like many others he needs to lift.

Bowden - Played pretty well and was one of our better players on the night. Got quite a bit of the ball and showed plenty of courage. I just wish he would reduce his turnovers a bit.

Chaffey - Had another great game across half back. If it wasn't for him, we could have lost by a much bigger margin.

Tivendale - Did pretty well all night but had very few options to kick to across the midfield except when Richo did his long runs to the flank. Being a key link player he needs options across the midfield and half forward flank and on the night there were very few tigers in space so most of his disposals went to contests where we were outnumbered.

Interesting note, We have only won one night game this year and that was a close one against the D's.
Maybe Danny has been sending the boys to bed by 7:30 most nights which would explain their night time form. As next week is also a night game I hope we can turn this trend around!

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
good job tiga.

I think you're a bit harsh on Newman. He was playing very well for the first half and then had to go on to Davis after Fiona conceded 3 goals. Davis did nothing after half time.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TF, what i mean't to say was Newman was great early and carried close to that form for the rest of the match, so I was actually giving him a good report. Sorry if I confused you as I am a big fan of Newmo.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
spot on with most observations there!!!! Dont agree on bowden, as he YES does get a lot of the ball but if you turn over 50% of your disposals whats the point??? And that attempt at tackling in the middle where the player just pushed him aside and kicked a goal was a very very shocking result!!! He is out no 1 trade bait for a hard midfielder, or tall backman!!! Apart from that the rest were spot on. Although cameron could have been servicable up forward as another option but lets not get into that one!!!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Bowden was our best player in my book. I dont think you get anywhere by trading your stars. IT is getting something for the lesser lights where you win at trading.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Another top review, tiga.

I thought Joel played well. Sadly, one of only a few on the night.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Newman really impresses - Like Knights he very rarely wastes a possession.

On Newman - the first time I saw him play for Coburg I said this kid will be a player. I said the same thing for Bowden some years ago. I also said the same thing for McGrath and I'm sticking to it. I hope frawely realises this aswell - soon.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Just couldn't believe how bad Kane Johnson was on Saturday night. Surely he wasn't fit? I mean, Brett Kirk ain't the most difficult tagger in the world and this was one huge game for us. I guess everyone is entitled to a shocker every now and then, but gee that was bad bad bad.

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
Noticed the same thing myself Dean. We were calved up in the midfield, and the recipe to defeating the tigers is pretty clear. Shut down Johnson and Cogs, and the Richmond of last year will reappear. I look forward to the return of Campbell. He is just so important to us, and despite the feelings of many here, he is a leader of merit, something lacking on Saturday. :'(

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Right on the money.

Add Cogs to that mix - clearly he was favouring that ankle

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:

Lets hope he's not too much like Knights ;D

There might have been some legitimate reason for being down but it looks like Coughlan and especially Johnson are following the old RFC tradition of being beaten in big games or against good teams.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Knights was always over rated in my opinion, no need to panic yet but if they lose to those dud kangaroos the pressure will mount

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
TigerFurious said:
There might have been some legitimate reason for being down but it looks like Coughlan and especially Johnson are following the old RFC tradition of being beaten in big games or against good teams.

We can't rely on these 2 and campbell every game and its not fair to single them out for last weeks game. Even though they had shocking games for their standards they were our better players. Where were the likes of the well celebrated rogers and some of his buddies. Sorry forgot - rogers was too busy playing chasy with a first year rookie. He is an embarassment - for a well established senior player getting games week in week out he should have kept Schneider quiet and got 20+ effective disposals himself. As long as we persist with that hack expect what we saw on sat night. Reminds of how I was beating my head against a wall wondering how in the hell Daffy got regular games.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I didn't have Newman in my best when i was giving votes this week, but he did do a fairly good job, and he has gained my respect this year for the following reason:

He never gives up a chase, even if its unlikely that he will catch up to the player with the ball. I go out of my mind when I see people like Joel Bowden and especially Rory Hilton a couple of metres behind the player with the ball give up chase. It sends the message loud and clear "can't be stuffed". Newman is never like that, he'll motor his little legs away and expend himself for no reward. I really admire that. To me, it sends the message "We might go down, but I'll never give up". that's the spirit that Chris has, and its a true champion's quality that he possesses. You know he'll stand up when times are tough.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Well said John couldn't agree more about Newman. One of his efforts Saturday night stands out in my mind, it was in the last quarter, he ran flat out for about 20m to spoil a mark. By this stage we had no chance of winning yet he still went at, and put his body on the line. Onya Chris :D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We can't rely on these 2 and campbell every game and its not fair to single them out for last weeks game. Even though they had shocking games for their standards they were our better players. Where were the likes of the well celebrated rogers and some of his buddies. Sorry forgot - rogers was too busy playing chasy with a first year rookie. He is an embarassment - for a well established senior player getting games week in week out he should have kept Schneider quiet and got 20+ effective disposals himself. As long as we persist with that hack expect what we saw on sat night. Reminds of how I was beating my head against a wall wondering how in the hell Daffy got regular games.

We all know who the duds are in the side but I raise the point about our better players not performing in big games because I think there are questions that need answering.

Why is it that our best players are continually beaten in big games??? Ottens and Richo terrorised backlines for during 2001 season but could only manage 7 goals between them during the finals (Richo kicked 5 of them). We are all to aware of how the much the maligned trio of Knights, Campbell and Daffy performed against good sides or in important games.

And now we are seeing history repeating itself. Excluding the West Coast game, Johnson has been well beaten against Collingwood, Port and now Sydney. all top 8 sides when we played them. Coughlan while better was still largly ineffective against Sydney.

Maybe its because these guys don't get the support other teams players do in big games. Maybe its coaching, I don't know. But is it too much to expect our a Johnson or a Richo to have a BOG against a good side or at least a better performance?

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Spot on John and TG, Newman always give everything he has, doesnt leave anytihng out there, and thats what we need.

The best thing about him are his 50 metre, hard, flat passes which hit Richo on the chest.

A great example of a guy who wasnt setting the world on fire at Coburg, got an oppurtunity and ran with it. His training is really good too, trains hard, and it shows in the way he plays.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Every game Richmond plays seems to be a must win BIG game. You dont see Coughlan and Johnson fail that often, and Richo's efforts are alwazys underrated. Saturday night was a pisspoor effort but lets not get ridiculous about it hey. We are still in the eight and setting ourselves up nicely. Next 2 games are also BIG for us. Does that mean boys and girls you expect Coughlan and Johnson to fail. It is jsut ridiculous, they will be ok./ Kirk is a dman good tagger and added Johnson to his list of casualties. Cogs is still hurt kinda not that that is an excuse but he wasnt too bad. We'll be ok.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
TigerFurious said:
Harry said:

good god they both have one bad game and you put them in the same pot as other well known culprits.
shouldnt it be the case of others stepping up?