My Top 5 games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My Top 5 games

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
1. Rich beating Ess in semi final.
2. Rich beating Ess in Rnd 22 in 2001.
3. Rich beating Dogs by 2pts in Knights/Libba rematch.
4. Rich beating Hawks this year.
5. Rich beating Collingwood, years ago HOGG 10.

Richmond d Essendon semi

Richmond d Hawks in a low scoring Waverly deluge

Richmond d Carlton rd22 at the OO and knocked them out of the finals

Richmond d North that night we got away to a flier and Stewy Edwards kicked a few I think

Richmond d Dogs in the Libba revenge game

(Am a bit vague about what year those games were without looking them up. Have got all on video though.)

No-one has mentioned the 1980 Grand Final ?

That was Richmonds greatest without a doubt. Well that I can remember.

Some highlights for me .
1.Richmond beating Essendon semi-I had front row posy behind the punt road goals.-Never forget that game ever.
2.Back in 80' I couldn't goto the game but watched on tv and the tiges gave the pies a goold ole hiding.
3.95 again-our first win in ten years against West Coast At Optus-small crowd but one of the most vocal I've ever heard.
Met some Tasmanians and we reminisced about old tiger champs and they brought up Weightman and asked me if I wanted to meet him.I thought they were pulling my leg but they introduced him and I nearly fell over after I shaked the hand of an old superstar.Great bloke too.
4.that 82' Bummers win was a great highlight -any win against essendon is -when you see those cocky turned up noses turn to sadness.
5.That last round game at optus against Carlton when Harro put us in front and we put Carlton out of the finals hunt.
Got totally blotto that day and for most of the game we were getting killed but we fired up at the end and came home with the win.
Pity after all the positivity from that last game of the year we didn't gain anything for the following year.
Aah -it's tuff to be a Tiger sometimes.

Excluding the 1980 GF because it goes without saying:

1. 1995 semi against Essendon

2. 1982 -v- the Bombers ANZAC day and we belted them to 62 points (?)

3. 2001 - The round 17 game against the Bulldogs at the Dome. The revenge game as it is called.

4. 1994 - v- the Pies it was the start of a great 7-9 week period for us. It was just so exciting in that period we beat Pies, Roos, Melb & Bullies all top eigth teams.

5. 2001 - semi against Carlton

1. 1995 semifinal vs. Dons
2. 2001 semi vs Carlton
3. Mothers Day Massacre 1991
4. 2001 vs Doggies game after Libba took out Knighter, good close revenge game to win.
5. 1980 grand Final, was alive dont remember it but still a great day.

If i had another choice it is my 1997 Reserves premiership game i still ahve on tape.

My top 5 games tha i have attended are:

1. Rich v Ess 1995 Semi

2. Rich v Carl at Optus Oval, down by about 5 goals at half time. What a win.

3. Rich v Carl Rd 22 at the G when David Cloke played his last game and kicked 7

4. Rich v Bulldogs, revenge game

5. Rich v ? KB's 400th very limited memories as i was 6 y/o

By the way after the 1995 Semi win against the bombers, i had just turned 18 the week before and was out that night celebrating my birthday aswell as the win with my friends at the Essendon Grand Hotel. At the end of the night when the place was closing who do i bump into out the front but Michael Long. Me with an absolute gutfull of grog started to get stuck into him. Anyway to cut a long sotry short my mates had to pull him off me in the end as i was giving him a HUGE spray. I dont think he was too happy.

Excluding The 1980 Grand Final sitting front row with the Cheer Squad
1.....1995 Semi final vs.Essendon at the G first finals win since 1982
2.....1997 R22 vs. Carlton to knock the Blues out of the Finals Race at Princess Park
3.....1995 R4 vs. North Melb. Monday Night Game at the G
4.....1995 R15 vs. Essendon Drawn Night Game at the G
5.....1994 R15,16 & 17
3 week run of Adelaide at Football Park
Bulldogs at The G, Brisbane at The Gabba

1. Rich vs ess semi 1995

2. Rich vs carl semi 2001

3. rich vs hawks this year 51 point comeback

4. bulldogs revenge game

5. vs. ess rd 22 2001

1. The rich vs Ess semi 1995, by far the greatest i seen.
2. The rich vs ess game in 1995, even though we didnt win, the last 5 minutes of the game were very exciting, resulted in a draw.
3. Rich vs Haw 2003, a very exciting game
4. Rich vs Dogs R17 2001, the 'every dog has his day'
5. Rich vs Carl Semi 2001, not often we see a finals win, let alone a finals game

Fitzroy last game ever against R F C we lost,the R F Club surporters was really given it to D hawkens and he turned around and blew kisses to them.
The night the scoreboard caught fire R F C played carlton and we beat them .
My first live footy match R F C played collywobbles 27 years a go can't remember who won but remember all the fights after the match around the M C G .
Beating bummers and crawfordduds this year.
R F C playing Melbourne a couple of years a go and mud farmer was having a real bad day against us, and our chear squad got to him and he lost it.

1. 1995 semi final against Bummers (fantastic) Went with a friend of mine and his girlfriend, she wasn't into footy and was wondering why we were going spastic, specially when knighter kicked those goals and Turner ironed out sheepdog O'donnell absolute brilliant. Went to the London Tavern afterwards and had quite a few drinks.

2. 2001 semi final against carlton great win as well. We had this feral Richmond supporter sitting behind us yelling out when their doing the minute silence for Sept. 11 say who gives a f**** real charmer. But had some good sayings kept calling Frevola shovel face and Kouta cabbage head.

3.Rich beating Essendon rnd 22, 2001 I kept on saying pinch me, I couldn't believe it.

4.1982 beating Carlton in the final at Waverley and getting straight into the granny i think and singing the tiger song on the bus going back to Nunawading station. Alas lost the the big one.

5. Anytime we beat Essendon, Collingwood & Carlton

Not including the 1980 premiership win.

1 - 1995 Semi against Essendon. Down by 5 goals at half time, we won by 13 points. 86 - 73. Never forget Nighters run and kicking THAT goal. Scott Turner cleaning up Gary ODonnell.

2 - 1985 Round 5 v Hawthorn. 188 - 149 at Princess Park. One of Rioli's greatest games for us. He was at his magical best.

3 - 2003 Round 5 v Hawthorn. Down by 51 points during the 2 quarter. We can back and won it by 20 points. 13 unanswered goals. Truely one of our great wins.

4 - 1995 Round 4 v North Melbourne. Won by 49 points. Jumped the Kangas at the start and never looked back.

5 - 1980 Round 16 v St Kilda. Our highest ever score 222 -70. One of our biggest wins. Richmond at their best.

I am a little older than most on this ite so here are a few some of you wont know about:

1. Best Game - 1973 Preliminary Final against Collingwood - down by 6 goals+ into the third quarter and my namesake is on the ground with a bung leg. Been copping sh1 tango from their supporters as I am in second row hff with my mum and brother. He wants to fight them. The Tigers claw their way back into the game with Balme and Hart starring. Most inspirational game I have seen.
2. Bloody Close - Drawn game at MCG with Bombers in 1995. We really played above our team talent that year.
3. Fantastic - Watching Disco and team demolish Bulldogs at Western Oval in 1980. In fact 1980 just about all the matches were great.
4. Telstra Dome 2001 - Bulldogs - fantastic
5. 1973 Grand final - all those cocky blues suporters and NO ONE would take on neil Balme and the Blues Boys were scared! They fell like ninepins.

Other Great Games>>>>>>>

- KB 400 but we lost
- Watching Francis Bourke who has to be the gutsiest player I have ever seen at Argen St vs Kangaroos - about 1979?, broke his arm, blood pouring from his nose and actually played the last half the game that way - he marked balls and kicked ok - Exceptionally inspirational - we won!
- Discos screamer in the Hawthorn game circa 1984?
- Watching Noel Jenkinson in a reserves GF in 1972 kick a goal from behind the centre of the MCG - incredible
- KBs entire finals series in 1980 - how awesome
- Clokey kicking 8 against the blues in his last game

Saddest Games
- Watching Collingwood with Raines, Cloke and Taylor
1987-1994 - the frustration to KB
- Royce Hart retiring 1976
- Tony Free being belted by the mongrel Brereton and virtually finishing his career
- vs St Kilda this year - really gutless display
- PF - 2001 at Gabba - we were just not good enough
- 1994 at Princes Park against Geelong - last game and they flogges us by 20 goals
- ANYTIME Gary Ablett played against us! ( We knew we were in for a flogiing!)
- Same Dunstall
- Same Kangaroos in late 80s early/mid 90s

As I was growing up, all my family were Tiger supporters and our neighbour and best friends were all Hawks. For me this made the Rich v Haw games all the more memorable, along with the fact that both sides were strong (1970s). So three of my five are Richmond v Hawthorn games. In chronological order:
1. Rd 19, 1973 at Glenferrie. Rich 12.10(82) d. Haw 11.11(77). Rex Hunt kicked one from 40 or 50 out with the last kick of the game - siren went as the ball sailed through the goals. Can't remember too many games Richmond have won with the last kick of the day.
2. Rd 2, 1977 at the G. Rich 19.6(120) d. Haw 17.17(119). Does anyone remember this one? We'd led most of the day after a 10-goal second quarter but Hawthorn got back in front by about 17 points with ten minutes to go. My memory fades but I think Jim Jess kicked our last three goals to snatch a one point win. I was at the PRE where those goals were kicked and I distinctly remember the goal ump originally signalling one as a behind and then quickly a goal.
3. GF, 1980. Watching the video these days one is reminded more of what a sh!te team that Maggies side was than how good we were (a credit to Tom Hafey to get them that far). But who cares? Beating "them black and white bas%&#¤s" by a record margin in the big one. Does it get any better than that?
4. Rd 3, 1982 at the G. Rich 25.22(172) d. Ess 16.14(110). How often do you see a scoreline like that these days? Footy's lost something I reckon. 90.000 at a Home and Away game and I think it was the debut match of the electric scoreboard. Great day. Can NOT believe we fluffed the flag that year. Still reckon the club would not be in the position it's in today had we won it.
5. The 51 point comeback this year. v Hawks. Fair dinkum, even at that level you'd have given up wouldn't you?

While on the topic of Hawthorn ... is anyone else aware of the curious relationship between the Hawks and Tigers? Two clubs with similar colors, completely disparate supporter bases in terms of size and perceived political leanings. Despite both being power-houses from 1971-1982, they never met (and never have met) in a final. I think in those 12 years there are something like 12 games (either finals or round 22) where had the result gone the other way, then Richmond and Hawthorn would have met in a final the following week. Indeed, they went close to meeting in Grand Finals in 1971, 1974, 1975 and 1982.

My favourite, excluding finals, is v NM at Arden St (R21), St Francis goes up forward and kicks a vital goal with a gashed eye, Robbie Wiley kicks a few blinders from the pocket and Disco breaks Skinny Titus' record. The best ever is Royce's performance to win the 1973 Preliminary Final, which paved the way for our most famous day - the 1973 GF when we won the seniors, reserves, U/19's and U/17's premierships on the one day.

I may have got to this topic late but here I go (pardon but my dates and stuff may be slightly wrong):

#5: Vs Carlton, 99, last game of year where the scoreboard was on fire.......the scenes that followed the game at the front of the change rooms was unbeleivable....unforgettable;

#4: Vs Essendon, 91 or 92....I beleive it was the last year Essendon played at Windy Hill and it was a dog of a day weather wise. I just remember the Flea putting in a blinder and we won by 2 points....I just remember the scenes and how big it was, being in the wet for 4 quarters standing on a crappy crate so I could just see....

#3: Vs Adelaide, 94, first away win up there...down by 4-5 goals, come back inspired by skipper Free and well being there made this extremely special to me;

#2: Vs Carlton, 88, friday night, Rhys-Jones kills us early and Chris Pym kicks 3 with Nicholls nailing a mad left-footer from the pocket with Willow flipping away........

#1: Vs Essendon, 95, the story doesnt need to be said......

Here I go with my Top 5.

#5- 1988 (June 17 to be exact).* Unforgettable Friday night where we beat Carlton, the reigning premier, under lights.

#4- 1995 * I think it was around Round 3 against Hawthorn at Waverley in the worst conditions I've ever seen. Pooring rain all day, and we won 4.16.40 to 5.4.34 (I even remember the scores). Not the greatest spectacle, but boy, we were gutsy. Major thing about this win was that we broke our losing run of 10 years to Hawthorn.

#3- 1996 * Round 21 against Fitzroy. It was the Roys last game ever in Melbourne. Not much opposition, but what a scoreline! 187 to 36. A 151 point margin, the biggest Richmond win I can remember.

#2- 2003 * Round 5 against Hawthorn. Who could forget this game? We were 51 points down mid way through the 2nd quarter and I had all but given up. What I saw after that, I still can't believe. We kicked 14 unanswered goals, and won by 20 points. Amazing, unbelievable, sensational! Love beating Hawthorn. Cant stand them.

#1- 1995 *2nd Semi against Essendon. Agree with om21. Awesome comeback after half. Our first finals win since 1982.

1973 Premiership... Upset from the loss in 1972, I played out the whole game in my small backyard in Prahran as it was called on the radio.

1980 Premiership... the thumping of Collingwood was so sweet.

1984 against Geelong. Hailed, snowed for 3 mins. We were 23 points down at the start of the last Qtr. WQe kicked 4 goals in the first 6 mins and no further score was added. We won by point.

1995 Friday Night Game in 1995 against North we kicked I think 9.2 in the first qtr.

1995 2nd Semi Essendon. Against the odds we won

We have had some great games listed by many here. There was also a great game where we were coming back from a 62 pt deficit against the Bulldogs in the mid eighties, we lost by 2 pts. Can't remember when but from half time we kicked butt as they say.

I've only seen the 1980 Grand Final on video in 84 - 85. So I won’t include it.
1. Yes. The 1995 Semi against Essendon. Knights and Turner were outstanding.
2. Rich Vs Nth (same as Rosy) Richmond kicked the first 7 goals of the game. Edwards I think kicked 4 that quarter.
3. Mathew Knights first game for us. It was against Fitzroy, last game of the year, we destroyed them and Knights, 18, was killing ‘em. The commentators kept saying Knights was going to be gun. ;)
4. Rich vs Geel (Same as Shawry I think) Mother’s day. Richmond was given no chance of winning and everyone was predicting a massacre. We won.
5. Rich vs Haw 51 pts down during the second quarter. Turned it around to win after Stafford broke Spiders Jaw, nice work :eek: