The Complete list of every Richmond player to kick 10 goals or more | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Complete list of every Richmond player to kick 10 goals or more

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Here is the list, the Matthew Richardson now joins.
Courtesy of www.rhettrospective.com

14 goals - Doug Strang vs Nth Melbourne 1931
12 goals - Jack Baggott vs Sth Melbourne 1928
11 goals - Michael Roach vs Footscray 1980
11 goals - Michael Roach vs Hawthorn 1985
10 goals - Doug Strang vs Nth Melbourne 1933
Jack Titus vs Footscray 1936
Jack Titus vs Hawthorn 1941
Jack Titus vs Collingwood 1942
*smile* Harris vs Essendon 1944
Sel Murray vs Carlton 1945
Michael Roach vs St Kilda 1979
Michael Roach vs St Kilda 1980
Michael Roach vs Footscray 1980
Brian Taylor vs Fitzroy 1982
Jeff Hogg vs Collingwood 1991
Matthew Richardson vs Footscray 2004

Rhett Bartlett

And here are some of the players that have kicked 10 goals + against us.
The sad thing is I was at most of these matches!!

Ablett (at least 4 times including 14 in 1989)
Dunstall (bags of 17 and 12 against us 1992!)
Modra (13 and 10 against us in 1993!)
Longmire (14 in 1990)
Brereton (11 in 1990 playing with broken ribs!)
Sav Rocca (kicked 10 in the early 90s I think 93)
Lockett (I can only remember him kicking 10 against us once when he played for Sydney in 1996. Duncan Kellaway played on him for a short time. Don’t recall him kicking 10 against us when playing for the Saints. Kicked 9 once in 92 I think at the G)

And in the mid 80’s

I recall Simon Beasley kicking 10 at the Western Oval on more then 1 occasion against us,
Brian Taylor kicked 10 against us at Victoria Park
Capper kicked 10 against us at the SCG in 86 when the Swans for flogging everyone
I’m pretty sure Salmon kicked 10 against us also

I’m sure I’ve missed others particularly from prior to 1980, these are from the top of my head.
Any others you can think of?

Michael Roach vs Hawthorn 1985
Jeff Hogg vs Collingwood 1991
Matthew Richardson vs Footscray 2004

The only 3 games I've actual seen, the rest beyond my years. Hopefully Richo can add to this list next week

I tried to email Rhett to ask this question but it didn't work. I'm 99.9% sure that BT kicked 10 against Footscray in the early 80s. The Dogs through Jim Edmond blew us away with a 10 goal first Q, then we clawed our way back to lose by 2 points. I remember the bame as being a bewdy and my old man was very snakey at losing quite a bit of dough to one of his mates who barracks for Footscray, and he pranged the car leaving the G. So either Rhett has missed a BT effort, or the Fitzroy game should be Footscray. Can anyone clarify this?

Rrrrriiiiiichooo

tigersnake said:
I tried to email Rhett to ask this question but it didn't work.  I'm 99.9% sure that BT kicked 10 against Footscray in the early 80s.  The Dogs through Jim Edmond blew us away with a 10 goal first Q, then we clawed our way back to lose by 2 points.  I remember the bame as being a bewdy and my old man was very snakey at losing quite a bit of dough to one of his mates who barracks for Footscray, and he pranged the car leaving the G. So either Rhett has missed a BT effort, or the Fitzroy game should be Footscray.  Can anyone clarify this?

Rrrrriiiiiichooo

BTs 10 was definately against Fitzroy. It was at the G and I remember that Roachy was out injured and BT killed them that day.

The Beasley game might have been our first game against Footscray in the 1984 season. It was either 8 or 10 goals that Beasley kicked.
I remember he was against Steven Pirrie.
Pirrie had been sensational at FB in 1982 then was struck down with a knee injury just before the finals. Martello took his place at FB. In 1983 Pirrie spent the season recovering.
In 1984 he returned much in the same way that Gaspar is doing now, and Beasley killed him and his career. I think Pirrie went to St kilda after that with no more luck.

The table of Tiger goalkickers looks ominous.
Roach kicked 10 in 1985 shortly before he retired.
Hogg kicked 10 in 1991 shortly before he got traded.
What does Richo's 10 hold for the future?
You may have some suggestions.

PS By trading Hogg we got some of the players we needed to take us into the 1995 finals.

What could we get for Richo if we traded him at 29yo at the end of the season. But then Lynch has gone on into his mid-30s.
Sorry to sound sacrilegious, I'll do 10 Hail Marys.

Sorry to labour the point, and I don't doubt BT kicked 10 against Fitzroy, but he also kicked 10 in a loss to Footscray. Maybe that's why nobody remembers it.

pahoffm - I can recall Beasley kicked 10 against us a couple of times. Gee he used to kill us. Stphen Pirrie (no 27) played some good games for us but he had shocking knees. Didn't do much at the Saints and then he went on to coach Kew in the Amatuers in the early 90s.

Tigersnake - I heard BT say on radio previously that he kicked 10 or more on 3 occasions - once for Richmond and twice for Collingwood. The time at Richmond was against Fitzroy. Maybe he kicked 9 against the Dogs?

I reckon you're probably right Boss. And all these years I thought Edmond and BT kicked 10 in the same game, but I can't imagin the man himself not remembering a bag of 10. I too remember those Beasley efforts, the streak of you-know-what. I was also there the cold wet miserable night when Longmire kicked 14. Stayed for the whole game. They say you're gotta go through bad times to enjoy the good ones. If they ever come, boy am I gunna enjoy 'em.

Geeze Boss I remember that Dunstall game at Waverly like it was yesterday. 17 goals :eek:

One day Ablett kicked 14 against us and he was playing on the genuine wing.Astounding effort.A shame there was only such a small crowd there,it was the most amazing single handed effort by a footballer I've ever seen.

Yeh Evo, I remember that game.
It destroyed Wayne Peters. Poor kid was playing his first or second year of football and Bartlett wouldn't move him. Barlett probably thought, "If I move him he might lose confidence." I thought Peters was a natural wingman who could develop into a key position player and Bartlett killed him that season playing him on a HBF.

I also remember the Manton game against Hawthorn when he grubbed the ball on a kickout straight to Dunstall who lobbed it back over his head for a goal, at Waverley I think.
Also Laffy's game where he kept on getting pinged for kickout past the goal square.

Thank heaven for Scotty Turner.

tigersnake said:
. . . I'm 99.9% sure that BT kicked 10 against Footscray in the early 80s. The Dogs through Jim Edmond blew us away with a 10 goal first Q, then we clawed our way back to lose by 2 points . . . Can anyone clarify this?

Hey, TS - try Round 5, MCG, 1983. Footscray won by 2 points after leading 1st Q 10.3 (63) to Rich 0.3 (3). Sorry I can't give you player stats tho Footyworks say they are working on it.

Actually, they gave us a few canings through the 80s.

1984 Rd 1, West Oval, Foots 122 d. Rich 83;
1985 Rd 7, MCG, Foots 23.13 Rich 15.11 (1st Q kicked 9.4!)
1986 Rd 16, Foots 122 d. Rich 95;
1987 Rd 12, Wav Park, Foots 21.16 d. Rich 11.8 - I went to this game. We were shocking that day!

I can only find 3 mentions of The Barge kicking 10 goals.

pahoffm said:
I also remember the Manton game against Hawthorn when he grubbed the ball on a kickout straight to Dunstall who lobbed it back over his head for a goal, at Waverley I think.
Also Laffy's game where he kept on getting pinged for kickout past the goal square.

I can tell you that that is a very lonely feeling. :-[

Even though I play in the midfield, I take most of our kickouts, and in round one this season I tried to get a little too cute and chipped it straight into the outstreched hands of the opposing full-forward (who kicked close to a ton last year, too). Anyway, I think I nearly killed him with shock because he put it through for a point. :eek:

We had a great laugh about it after the game, but at the time I was looking for somewhere to hide.

pahoffm said:
The table of Tiger goalkickers looks ominous.
Roach kicked 10 in 1985 shortly before he retired.
Hogg kicked 10 in 1991 shortly before he got traded.
What does Richo's 10 hold for the future?
You may have some suggestions.

PS By trading Hogg we got some of the players we needed to take us into the 1995 finals.

What could we get for Richo if we traded him at 29yo at the end of the season. But then Lynch has gone on into his mid-30s.
Sorry to sound sacrilegious, I'll do 10 Hail Marys.

I'm hoping Richo has actually turned things around and that this isn't some beautiful interlude before he goes back to being just a really, really good player.

I'm hoping he continues his recent form and becomes the greatest FF in the AFL, so let's not trade him just yet.

Then again, I may be getting just a little bit carried away. We'll see what the next few weeks bring. ;)

Hi there.
Just to clear up:

Brian Taylor kicked 8 goals 2 vs Fitzroy 1982
   7 goals 2 vs Footscray  1982
   10 goals 3 vs Fitzroy 1982
7 goals 3 vs Sydney 1982
  8 goals 5 vs Hawthorn 1984
  7 goals 2 vs StKilda 1984
  7 goals 3 Gee 1984

He did kick 10 goals in 1986, but that was for Collingwood against Richmond.
Wonder if anyone else has booted 10 goals or more for two different clubs.
So I can only find one reference to Taylor booting 10 goals for us.

Cheers
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

I believe that Peter McKenna may have kicked 10 goals for two different teams.

But I dont think anyone would have kicked 10 goals for a team and then 10 goals against the team they previously kicked 10 goals for, like BT did.

Thanks Roar and Rhett for the info. I went to most games at the G during that era so it looks like I'm getting my wires crossed on a couple. The game you mention Roar I'd like to see the player stats on if you can find 'em. Maybe it was Roachy who kicked 10 that day, and as I said, I'm pretty sure Edmond did for Footscray. Thanks again.

pahoffm said:
Yeh Evo, I remember that game.
It destroyed Wayne Peters. Poor kid was playing his first or second year of football and Bartlett wouldn't move him. Barlett probably thought, "If I move him he might lose confidence." I thought Peters was a natural wingman who could develop into a key position player and Bartlett killed him that season playing him on a HBF.

Thank heaven for Scotty Turner.

In regards to the Hawthorn game, I believe the 3 full backs who got smashed that day were Alistair Scott, Jeff hogg & Scott Turner. I think they may have double teamed him at the end with Brian Leys- who incidentally I regard as the wosrt player ever to play 100 + games of VFL/AFL. That record shows how much we were struggling in those days, what a hack.