Neil Balme | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
But to me for some reason the one I can’t let go of is the 2022 final against Brisbane where we were robbed of a finals win by sheer incompetence. Was that the AFL’s fault , probably not, but they should have admitted the error or at least been transparent. Still makes my blood boil

This still riles me to this day. It was utter incompetence or outright cheating. The footage was inconclusive and it should’ve been “umpires call”. I still bring it up in conversation but am repeatedly told I am whinging ( and that makes my blood boil too).

• Angry
Reactions: 12 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
It would be unwise to publicly (or even privately) take on AFLHQ until we are financially independent and based on last year’s finances that’s a while off yet.

Play the long game. Stay quiet and focus on building the empire. We need to be able to operate without the entire AFL dividend which is currently around 12-13m for us. Once we can do that, the AFL lose much of their leverage against us.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

JAKLAUGHING

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2019
It would be unwise to publicly (or even privately) take on AFLHQ until we are financially independent and based on last year’s finances that’s a while off yet.

Play the long game. Stay quiet and focus on building the empire. We need to be able to operate without the entire AFL dividend which is currently around 12-13m for us. Once we can do that, the AFL lose much of their leverage against us.
cosmo-kramer-head-nod.gif

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Not really as the AFL owns the copyright to all the clubs' identities. No way to be independent.

In any case, we balance the books and they will just fleece us even more. Seen that too often in large organisations, the section which balances the books doesn't get more money, they just get to subsidise other sections more.

I suppose we can just accept the current treatment, keep lobbying behind closed doors and continue to get shafted.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Before that the first thing I would like to see is do is get rid of the pokies if our finances improved

• Love

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Not really as the AFL owns the copyright to all the clubs' identities. No way to be independent.

In any case, we balance the books and they will just fleece us even more. Seen that too often in large organisations, the section which balances the books doesn't get more money, they just get to subsidise other sections more.

I suppose we can just accept the current treatment, keep lobbying behind closed doors and continue to get shafted.

DS

It's a very sad state of affairs. We dragged ourselves up from the depths of despair to a become a powerful, financial club. Thanks to Gary, Steve, Peggy, Benny & many others.
It's very clear to me that for some reason the head honcho's at AFLHQ don't like us. They seem to do as much as possible to nobble our ongoing relevance & continued financial strength. This years fixture is a very pertinent case in point. The seemingly endless shafting by umpires also emphasises that.

It seems to me that no matter which approach we take the AFL are intent on screwing us.

Back when we were crap & desperately in need of assistance Benny said "No, we got ourselves into this mess, we will get ourselves out of it" Did the AFL applaud that, no they just continued to dismiss us.

No wonder I have an intense dislike for them.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

DS
I think you misunderstood me.

As long as we are financially dependent on the annual dividend, we are vulnerable to retaliation from HQ if we speak out of turn. If we can generate enough revenue from non-football operations to entirely fund our football department we remove the biggest leverage HQ has over us.

Remember, even AFL HQ answers to someone and there is only so far they can screw us on the draw, Sunday afternoon games etc. Their TV overlords want ratings and successful Richmond side brings in ratings.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

As long as we are financially dependent on the annual dividend, we are vulnerable to retaliation from HQ if we speak out of turn. If we can generate enough revenue from non-football operations to entirely fund our football department we remove the biggest leverage HQ has over us.

Remember, even AFL HQ answers to someone and there is only so far they can screw us on the draw, Sunday afternoon games etc. Their TV overlords want ratings and successful Richmond side brings in ratings.

As long as the AFL is the AFL they'll make sure that ALL clubs are beholden to them in some way or another, they have absolutely no interest in any club being financially independent. None at all.

Reactions: 3 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008

We currently gross about 28 million more than Geelong does,but this must be getting used not well in terms of footy on the field as we don't appear to.have a advantage over them.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

But I don’t think it works that way Furious, there is a cap on footy spending and the AFL will tax the bejeebers out of us if we go over it.

The AFL can manipulate the fixture, the rules, the umpiring, suspensions - you name it, cause I reckon they are already doing it.

They want everyone to be equal, 1 premiership each every 18 years and we spoiled that party we 3 in 4 years

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
We currently gross about 28 million more than Geelong does,but this must be getting used not well in terms of footy on the field as we don't appear to.have a advantage over them.

We can't spend anymore money on our footy department due to the AFL imposed "soft salary cap". If we do we're penalised 100% by them. Remember that soft cap was savagely reduced during Covid & has only been partially restored. All clubs had to jettison a lot of personnel at that time. Strangely the AFL only reduced it's overheads by some 20% at that time. I'm not sure by how much the "executives" reduced their salary at that time, because they never disclose what they're being paid.

Reactions: 2 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
We can't spend anymore money on our footy department due to the AFL imposed "soft salary cap". If we do we're penalised 100% by them. Remember that soft cap was savagely reduced during Covid & has only been partially restored. All clubs had to jettison a lot of personnel at that time. Strangely the AFL only reduced it's overheads by some 20% at that time. I'm not sure by how much the "executives" reduced their salary at that time, because they never disclose what they're being paid.
I believe we must place 5 million of the extra turnover we get over geelong into recruiting players,find 20 to 30 more Intel recruiters and get a advantage that lower grossing clubs can't match find the hidden gems more than other clubs,it just needs more information from. Local league's to us.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
True. Recently lived in sydney and it was mad tropical. No summers just wet season.
Keep a weather eye on the Bougainvilleas. Only the purple variety are seen south of the tropics. If you start to see the others colours flourishing you're not in the sub-tropics anymore.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
What is it with all this conspiracy talk. We give away far too many free kicks because of poor technique. We still won 3 grand finals in 4 years in spite of losing the free kick counts. As if the club don't have regular meetings with the umpires to go through things. They would have had umpires down to talk about what we are doing wrong. We play with Richmond edge.
As if all the umpires conspire against us!!! FFS.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
But every club in the entire comp gets a financial dividend from AFLHQ regardless of whether they make a profit or not. It's their share of being a part of the competition.
The minor and unfinancial clubs get a massive increased share of the dividend to ensure they are able to remain a competitive part of the comp and enable the comp to be as big as it is.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

No . . . I'm just more cynical.

Which is why I reckon there comes a time when you push back.

It is a judgement call, none of us really know whether using the proper channels or going public would work better, but I am just too p!!ssed off to sit back.

DS

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
What is it with all this conspiracy talk. We give away far too many free kicks because of poor technique. We still won 3 grand finals in 4 years in spite of losing the free kick counts. As if the club don't have regular meetings with the umpires to go through things. They would have had umpires down to talk about what we are doing wrong. We play with Richmond edge.
As if all the umpires conspire against us!!! FFS.
There are some blokes that do get umpired differently.
We've seen Ginivan in the news lately. AFL admitted that the umps "missed" a couple there. Yes he's a ducker, but Selwood made a career of it and was hailed a champion.

I've always felt Shai gets treated harshly by the umps.

Umps have their favourites. Dangerflog? Hawkins pushes blokes in the back all game and never gets called.

As for conspiracy, I'd suggest the Free Kick Ladder is a pretty good indicator of at least Unconscious Bias. :cool: