Neil Balme | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
It’s the obvious petty petulant free kicks we give away that staggers me and tempts me to put my foot through the Kreisler.
Weak, undisciplined and dumb, especially from experienced players playing like millionaires. Balmy played in a different era!

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
hope you're enjoying the 28 - 12 free kick count against week after week (y)
No I'm not. That's my point, FT.

Why keep quiet about it? What good has it done?

We need to make it public. Get the coach or CEO to come out and say "We reckon there's something wrong and we want a proper explanation". Maybe a few more in the media will keep an eye on it and call it out more.

What can they do to us? Shaft us? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Always happy to call out AFLHQ for how pathetic they are. Never been anything wrong with having an opinion and the honesty and conviction to present your opinion. Regardless of whether it's right, wrong, or worst of all doesn't fit the climate of populist ideology. Noticed that Rocket Eade has a similar opinion in that AFLHQ needs to tread a very fine line in removing the combative aspect of footy and thereby losing the supporters by playing X footy or tag instead.
Go get em Balmey, we've been getting shafted in game for years by HQ and the maggots, simply deal with their pathetic *smile* n keep going at the bastards as hard as possible.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
My recollection of why we are badly treated went back years ago (before 2017) when Benny tried to take on the afl about the free kick situation and the afl didn’t like it. Then there was the Covid hub where we were lambasted for all our silly requests. were we the only club to be named by the afl? There have been other instances, which escape me at the moment. The afl don’t like being held to account for ANYTHING. And it wouldn’t surprise me if we were still contacting the afl on our free kick differential but they in their wisdom just keep ignoring it. Why make it public when we are prob going thru the correct channels. Whatever way we do it, you can’t beat city hall.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Tigerdangerous

Tigerdangerous
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
My recollection of why we are badly treated went back years ago (before 2017) when Benny tried to take on the afl about the free kick situation and the afl didn’t like it. Then there was the Covid hub where we were lambasted for all our silly requests. were we the only club to be named by the afl? There have been other instances, which escape me at the moment. The afl don’t like being held to account for ANYTHING. And it wouldn’t surprise me if we were still contacting the afl on our free kick differential but they in their wisdom just keep ignoring it. Why make it public when we are prob going thru the correct channels. Whatever way we do it, you can’t beat city hall.
Clearly they are not the correct channels, as you call them, if the situation has not only not changed but is getting worse 🤔

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Clearly they are not the correct channels, as you call them, if the situation has not only not changed but is getting worse 🤔
I agree with you 100%. It is getting worse.
They change rules to hinder us. Bartlett, Bowden, Dusty to name a few.
They punish us when inequities are raised. Covid hub, free kick disparities.
They empower individuals (eg SHocking) to abuse their power.
My disdain for the afl knows no bounds.
I guess what I was trying to say, was that it makes no difference whether we complain loudly to the world or quietly behind the scenes, we just seem to get screwed either way.

Reactions: 7 users

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
My experience is when HO is a bully you need to fight back and as public as possible. Publicly question umpire decisions, take every MRO decision to the Board, question AFLHQ practical experience and professionalism. Need to bring supporters along with mass calls to media and boycott innuendoes. Start a campaign to change umpire department from enthusiastic amateurs to well paid professionals ( a layered pay scale). Lessons from Trump and Geelong. Question why umpiring needs to be conducted as a running sport. Do we keep complaining or get fair dinkum as a change agent?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My experience is when HO is a bully you need to fight back and as public as possible. Publicly question umpire decisions, take every MRO decision to the Board, question AFLHQ practical experience and professionalism. Need to bring supporters along with mass calls to media and boycott innuendoes. Start a campaign to change umpire department from enthusiastic amateurs to well paid professionals ( a layered pay scale). Lessons from Trump and Geelong. Question why umpiring needs to be conducted as a running sport. Do we keep complaining or get fair dinkum as a change agent?

Won't work. The AFL control the media so they control the agenda. We'll be portrayed as whinging, petulant sooks who refuse to take responsibility for our own actions. It won't be like when Eddie went public because he owned, or had significant influence over a large portion of the AFL media as well.

Any media type that picks up our cause, like showing the home game free kick stats posted in another thread which clearly shows bias, will be admonished by the AFL, be threatened with their AFL Media credentials which will ultimately screw with their career.

The backchannels is all we have really. Hopefully with Gil out of the way, the new bloke, supposedly a Richmond man, will slowly behind the scenes start making changes.

Reactions: 4 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, part of me wants the club to cause as much ruckus as possible but then there is the part of me that has seen from past experience, that it just serves to work against us. We are damned either way.
It does amaze me that Chris Scott seems to get away with backhanded criticism without penalty. Hmm, wonder why! 😉😉

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
An alternative would be that the club engage an independent body (from overseas) to analyse our free kicks or lack thereof compared to the rest of the competition and

be public about it. The AFL will complain but what can they do if it is an independent body. They may get their media toadies to run a smear campaign but if it comes back

that we are being shafted they will have to address the issue. (reluctantly)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
An alternative would be that the club engage an independent body (from overseas) to analyse our free kicks or lack thereof compared to the rest of the competition and

be public about it. The AFL will complain but what can they do if it is an independent body. They may get their media toadies to run a smear campaign but if it comes back

that we are being shafted they will have to address the issue. (reluctantly)
Or rather than the club engaging such research, maybe a super wealthy member with a spare million $ or five ?????

If it was me I'd engage the best mathematicians from a top university then take out full page ads in The Age & HeraldSun (and don't think for a second that they wouldn't take the money as I'd be offering triple the going rate. Oh, and I'd indemnify them from any legal issues).

Even then it may not work but gee it would be fun :ROFLMAO:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Won't work. The AFL control the media so they control the agenda. We'll be portrayed as whinging, petulant sooks who refuse to take responsibility for our own actions. It won't be like when Eddie went public because he owned, or had significant influence over a large portion of the AFL media as well.

Any media type that picks up our cause, like showing the home game free kick stats posted in another thread which clearly shows bias, will be admonished by the AFL, be threatened with their AFL Media credentials which will ultimately screw with their career.

The backchannels is all we have really. Hopefully with Gil out of the way, the new bloke, supposedly a Richmond man, will slowly behind the scenes start making changes.

Sorry, but what are they going to do to us? The free kick count has been out of control for at least 5 years and it is clear that the club has questioned this behind closed doors and it has got us, precisely . . . nowhere.

Stuff 'em, stuff the media (go for an avalanche on social media) and go public. Go public and go big.

If they can't take advice from one of the most respected figures in football, Neil Balme, who knows more about football than the likes of Gill, Dill and Goyder put together then they simply don't want to be told.

Plus, they can background some of the less compromised media, websites like the Roar, Mongrel Punt etc who might take some notice.

Enough is enough and continuing to just complain behind closed doors which has not worked smacks of not learning from mistakes. Let's start by attacking the "undisciplined" narrative on 50m penalties for a start - a nice video of Shai pointing at the scoreboard (50m penalty) compared with some of the over the top remonstrating with umps with no 50m penalty would get the ball rolling.

Time to pro-actively change the narrative.

I'm sick of the incompetence of the umpires and it is not good enough for a professional football code.

DS

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Sorry, but what are they going to do to us? The free kick count has been out of control for at least 5 years and it is clear that the club has questioned this behind closed doors and it has got us, precisely . . . nowhere.

Stuff 'em, stuff the media (go for an avalanche on social media) and go public. Go public and go big.

If they can't take advice from one of the most respected figures in football, Neil Balme, who knows more about football than the likes of Gill, Dill and Goyder put together then they simply don't want to be told.

Plus, they can background some of the less compromised media, websites like the Roar, Mongrel Punt etc who might take some notice.

Enough is enough and continuing to just complain behind closed doors which has not worked smacks of not learning from mistakes. Let's start by attacking the "undisciplined" narrative on 50m penalties for a start - a nice video of Shai pointing at the scoreboard (50m penalty) compared with some of the over the top remonstrating with umps with no 50m penalty would get the ball rolling.

Time to pro-actively change the narrative.

I'm sick of the incompetence of the umpires and it is not good enough for a professional football code.

DS
Asking/telling the ump to look at the replay - according to the commentators, is always a 50m penalty.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user