Neil Balme | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Neil Balme

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Sorry, but what are they going to do to us?
Hit us where it hurst the most. A shitty draw that minimises our revenue. Even less handouts from the AFL. There's plenty they can do, a lot worse than what they are doing now, if they want too.

There's also a large section of RFC supporters who would believe the AFL narrative that we are whinging petulant sooks and get angry at the club.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Hit us where it hurst the most. A shitty draw that minimises our revenue. Even less handouts from the AFL. There's plenty they can do, a lot worse than what they are doing now, if they want too.

There's also a large section of RFC supporters who would believe the AFL narrative that we are whinging petulant sooks and get angry at the club.
You mean they could continue to do as they’re doing now.
They can gagf.

Reactions: 2 users

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
Well we've been quiet and what's it got us? SFA.

I can't stand him but Fat Ed sticks up big time for his beloved Filth.

If the maggots were consistently shafting Collingwood like we get he'd scream blue murder. When the AFL said they have to have a clash jumper he told them to GAGF.

Tigers need to stop being nice. :mad:
Despite your name calling, Ed has a significant media (and financial) base that neither Balme or Gale can rely on.

Eddie McGuire is suprisingly powerful when you understand how many pies he has his fingers in.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
yeah, but worse if they wanted too.

How?

We get the dead rubber Sunday arvo every week already. We play opening round in the tropics followed 5 days later with an away game back in Melbourne. We have 2 home games against St Kilda this year - one at Norwood and the other at St Kilda's home ground (ok, maybe they could make us play a home game against St Kilda at Moorabbin or the Junction Oval but even the AFL would have trouble with that). Gather round is followed by an interstate game. We all know about how we are so far behind on free kicks no-one else is even near us over the last 5 years.

They would need to work really hard to make it any worse.

Screw them, let's go to town. This year we aren't going to contend, we're assessing our options and working out the best way forward. If the AFL wants to mess us around, which they started some years ago, let's return serve.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Yeah, part of me wants the club to cause as much ruckus as possible but then there is the part of me that has seen from past experience, that it just serves to work against us. We are damned either way.
It does amaze me that Chris Scott seems to get away with backhanded criticism without penalty. Hmm, wonder why! 😉😉

I think the truth is, nothing works as well as having a very high profile public supporter that isn't beholden to either the club or the AFL but is famous enough to get on the airwaves. A lot. Nothing gets it home to such a reactionary organisation like a very public berating from someone they can't control. Not an ex-footballer or commentator. A public celebrity who can get airtime on any network. Any ideas?

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

You don't think they'd take pleasure in that? They can screw us in so many ways that it's not funny. Why do you think we've kept quiet publicly for so long? Peggy finally said something about how they screwed us over the AFLW only during her farewell tour. And even then she pitched it as we were the naive ones who didn't understand how things worked.

There is no upside in going public. The AFL hold all the cards.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I think the truth is, nothing works as well as having a very high profile public supporter that isn't beholden to either the club or the AFL but is famous enough to get on the airwaves. A lot. Nothing gets it home to such a reactionary organisation like a very public berating from someone they can't control. Not an ex-footballer or commentator. A public celebrity who can get airtime on any network. Any ideas?
I think Hocking still has alot of power when it comes to the AFL.
He still would have people in positions he gave jobs to and they are still getting orders.
The easiest start to a season, Tick
Stkilda Adelaide Hawthorn Footscary North Brisbane

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You don't think they'd take pleasure in that? They can screw us in so many ways that it's not funny. Why do you think we've kept quiet publicly for so long? Peggy finally said something about how they screwed us over the AFLW only during her farewell tour. And even then she pitched it as we were the naive ones who didn't understand how things worked.

There is no upside in going public. The AFL hold all the cards.

I don't disagree, but I just reckon that, given the treatment already meted out by the AFL, we have little to lose. We might get screwed a little harder but we're already getting screwed hard.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If the Club board is half decent, they won't willingly take a course of action that will result in the club getting screwed more.

Reactions: 1 users

Third Ring

Richmond is...
Oct 3, 2003
personally, I think the best avenue IF enough supporters are aggrieved is to collectively call out the issue and boycott a particular game. IF there is a clear drop in attendance and even tv viewers and the express reason is fan reactions to the team’s treatment (free kicks, fixturing, penalties etc) , then that may get some attention. Otherwise, the AFL hold all the cards against us. Conversely, if such action doesn’t get enough support from fans, then the disenfranchised are in the minority.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Neil Balme in uniform in the rooms after the win last week.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Neil Balme would be giving great insights how to play this ground this week as a legend of Norwood.

I hope he really enjoys being back there game day and passes on that excitement and experience to the players and the coaches.

Reactions: 4 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Neil Balme would be giving great insights how to play this ground this week as a legend of Norwood.

I hope he really enjoys being back there game day and passes on that excitement and experience to the players and the coaches.
Meanwhile, at the team hotel, Balmy has gathered the senior players around him to impart his Norwood oval experience.

Balmy: Now lads its a suburban ground. Which means it's pretty small. So you won't have to run very far to get involved in the fight when Nick here belts the oppo CHF in the first few seconds of the game.

Balmy: The ground may be a bit softer than you are used to, so when you've wrestled your opponent to the ground, use your forearm on the back of his head to push his face into the mud.

Balmy: Finally, make sure you rub some of the chalk-lime line markings into your opponents eyes. That's sure to put them off their stride.

Balmy: Right. Who brought me my coffee?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How?

We get the dead rubber Sunday arvo every week already. We play opening round in the tropics followed 5 days later with an away game back in Melbourne. We have 2 home games against St Kilda this year - one at Norwood and the other at St Kilda's home ground (ok, maybe they could make us play a home game against St Kilda at Moorabbin or the Junction Oval but even the AFL would have trouble with that). Gather round is followed by an interstate game. We all know about how we are so far behind on free kicks no-one else is even near us over the last 5 years.

Screw them, let's go to town. This year we aren't going to contend, we're assessing our options and working out the best way forward. If the AFL wants to mess us around, which they started some years ago, let's return serve.

DS
They could just quietly give Wet Coke n #Lolnorf a couple of much needed priority pick options strategically placed to mess with whatever draft hand we manage to finesse this year. Even when we think things are *smile*, they can always get just a little bit worse.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Winners always find a way to WIN!!

Lets be bigger and better than whatever obstacle is put in front of us!

The Great always overcome adversity...that's why they are great!
The weak always look for a shortcut.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
How?

DS
Wrong .

The Gold Coast is sub tropics not tropics :cool:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I am not a conspiracy theorist but the only thing that I can think of that has gone in our favour over the years was that we played our last 7 H&A games at the mcg in 2019.
And we haven’t heard the last of it since …

We had the “worst team since Fitzroy” and rebuilt during the compromised drafts with the expansion teams. What sort of compensation picks did we get ? Zero !!!

But to me for some reason the one I can’t let go of is the 2022 final against Brisbane where we were robbed of a finals win by sheer incompetence. Was that the AFL’s fault , probably not, but they should have admitted the error or at least been transparent. Still makes my blood boil

Reactions: 9 users