New Captain | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Captain

Who should be our next Captain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
As much as the Flying V is my fave, I think Jacky Graham is the best choice........................get a young guy in that can take the reins for 10 years! He already shown he can be inspiring and shoulder a load!!! :sneaky: Pun intended!

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I think it’ll be Grimes.

Graham isn’t cement best 22. Not in my book anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Vlaustin would be a good choice if only he didn't have brain fades giving away arrogant frees/50's all the time.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
We start fresh and young, Jack Graham for me. At least he will have mentors at the clubs.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Vlaustin would be a good choice if only he didn't have brain fades giving away arrogant frees/50's all the time.
I was thinking the same. He’s let himself down with his temper these past few seasons but was close to voting him.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Floss would almost make a good captain, but I’m not sure he wants it

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
I read somewhere recently that Apparently Jack & another player were asked at a function who they thought would be the best candidate to take over from Cotch when he handed down the Captaincy, they both replied Lynch.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Grimes for sure imo. Deserves it and would be a great leader and ambassador for the club even for a couple of years.
As an aside can we please spell Nick Vlastuin correctly ? ( I know it’s a small issue :))

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Grimes for sure imo. Deserves it and would be a great leader and ambassador for the club even for a couple of years.
As an aside can we please spell Nick Vlastuin correctly ? ( I know it’s a small issue :))
Not sure what you're talking about.
Edit: so I put an embarrassed whistling emoji in, but it's not showing up. I wonder how long I've been doing that. His name is in my phone dictionary so now it auto-fills. Probably been 2 years plus lol.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Not sure what you're talking about.
Edit: so I put an embarrassed whistling emoji in, but it's not showing up. I wonder how long I've been doing that. His name is in my phone dictionary so now it auto-fills. Probably been 2 years plus lol.
I reckon 50% of the time on social media his name gets spelled incorrectly.

I have a Dutch connection so I know that his name is also pronounced incorrectly by most. The correct pronunciation is “Flosstown” but like a lot of European names I suspect it has been adapted to an Aussie pronunciation.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Takes a pretty special character to be an effective captain at a young age. Cotch was (and remains) a born leader capable of and willing to drive cultural change in an environment that is traditionally resistant to cultural change. And he went about it from day one. That's once in a generation stuff, and we should be wary about appointing another youngster and hoping lightning will strike twice (sorry J Graham).

I don't see another young Cotch waiting in the wings. The next-best candidates are predominantly his contemporaries, and even then there's no obvious standout.

Head says Grimes. Heart says Martin. Either way, I expect the tenure of our next captain to be shorter.

They need to back a young leader in. Jack Graham.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Not so good to have a backman as captain. Probably need someone like Graham who covers the field not just the backline.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Jack R said something on 360 about how the older crew being around the club for the next 1,2,3 years it will be helpful for the next person coming through. Does that allude to it being someone younger then?
Don't forget the Trent was only 22 when he became captain

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
My view is that Grimes will have his hands full steering a backline with two new components, together with a re emerging Balta and a re modelled Rioli.

So Jack Graham for mine. with Baker as the each way bet.

Unless of course if we recruit Tex Walker!!!

Reactions: 1 user

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Grimes is a class act in so many ways. I prefer Dylan to be our next Capt.

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Don't forget the Trent was only 22 when he became captain
Agree.

Jack Graham will be 24 at the beginning of the 2022 season.
Is an established player now - the C will make him an even better player.
Has been the C all through his juniors. This is his resume below. Players choose though, so could be anyone!

In 2013 he captained the under 15s South Australian representative schoolboys team at the year's national championships
The following year he captained the premiership winning SA side at the Under 16 national championships.
In 2016 Graham was selected to represent and captain the South Australian side at the national under 18s carnival. Graham was awarded the Larke Medal as the competition's best player, becoming the first South Australian to do so in 14 years. He was later named in the competition's All Australian team and received South Australia's most valuable player award.

Reactions: 2 users