New Captain | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Captain

Who should be our next Captain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Interesting discussion points
Grimes age of 31 next year counts him out
Suggest Jack Graham

Reactions: 1 users

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I see Parrot spruking Dust for next Caotain. I bet this is for one of two reasons. As Captain Dusty will need to talk to press which includes Parrot who Dusty will not talk to and/or it will give him ammunition to attack Dusty for click bait. wanker.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Reckon Vlastuin at 27 and contracted for four years is the right age to take over.

Dusty should be considered only if he really wants to do it. Can't see meeting with sponsors etc being high on his list of priorities. Happy for him to be vc with gameday responsibilities only.

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't forget the Trent was only 22 when he became captain
Can't compare Trent to others. By all accounts he started to lead the day he walked into the club. Can't think there's any young kid there now with the same leadership traits.

If Graham is the chosen one, let him VC under Grimes, Flossy or Lynch for a year or two. There's no rush

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
jack graham is madness

hasn't locked down an automatic spot yet

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think it will be Vlastuin. At 27 he has a good 4 or 5 years left. Grimes is just too old now. The only other realistic choice I see would be Graham but I just don't think he's consistent enough yet or necessarily has the nous. Vlastuin looks like a born leader to me.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I think it will be Vlastuin. At 27 he has a good 4 or 5 years left. Grimes is just too old now. The only other realistic choice I see would be Graham but I just don't think he's consistent enough yet or necessarily has the nous. Vlastuin looks like a born leader to me.

Wouldn’t be a bad result at all

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Just heard from a friend that he's been hearing on SEN people calling for Bakes as captain. :p

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just heard from a friend that he's been hearing on SEN people calling for Bakes as captain. :p
Yeah.... heard Jack say a while back when asked to nominate who's the most likely to ever *smile* up off field. ... without hesitation he said Bakes!

Btw... do we need to run the possibility of Vlastuin past Hugh Remmingthem?

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
If its about the best player, or even best role player, somene who can lead by example - it has to be Dusty (or Grimes).

But if the captain is primarily about someone to front the media (a kind of marketing/comms role) then I vote Nank (especially if BT is about)

If the captain is someone who drives the culture of the team - someone like Maric, Bash or Cotch or Astbury... I dunno who that is. (Lambo has had to work his ass off to make it - maybe him? Otherwise Jack seems to be pretty good with the younger guys)

If its just the best looking player who can flip a coin with flare, its gotta be Stackman

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
No way FlossTone.

He blew a gasket this year.
Got really chatty with the umps, other players.
Ridiculous 50's given away gifting goals from the goal line.
Really petulent stuff.
Not Captain material.
Gotta earm some trust back.

Despite Jackmond saying "there is a litany of players that can do the job" they're actually isn't.
(if Jack was 3 years younger this would be a non-issue, he would be Captain.)

My choice, Optimus Prime for 2 years.
Consummate pro.
Hard, Tough, Disciplined, Good speaker, a winner.
End of.

Then Fridge to take over as a long term leader.

(Nank would be good too, but always a suspension or injury question mark on him.
After match interviews a worry too. Cheerio, Barge!)

Whoever they pick has to be a guy who doesn't miss weeks.
Captain needs to be playing every week.

Therefore, Optimus Prime.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If its about the best player, or even best role player, somene who can lead by example - it has to be Dusty (or Grimes).

But if the captain is primarily about someone to front the media (a kind of marketing/comms role) then I vote Nank (especially if BT is about)

If the captain is someone who drives the culture of the team - someone like Maric, Bash or Cotch or Astbury... I dunno who that is. (Lambo has had to work his ass off to make it - maybe him? Otherwise Jack seems to be pretty good with the younger guys)

If its just the best looking player who can flip a coin with flare, its gotta be Stackman
Basha or Astbury would be an interesting choice.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Vlossy for me. Sure he got a bit grumpy this year, but I think the responsibility of being Captain will bring out the best in him.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I read somewhere recently that Apparently Jack & another player were asked at a function who they thought would be the best candidate to take over from Cotch when he handed down the Captaincy, they both replied Lynch.

i dont mind the idea of a huge snakey capt. Id prefer Nank, but big Tom would be good. Your captain should have the capacity and willingness to hurt people IMO

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Lynch is my favorite. He's been an AFL captain before. Doesn't take *smile* on the field either