New Captain | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Captain

Who should be our next Captain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Graham is no Cotch yet. Cotch (unknowingly) had a brownlow when he took the job on. I'd like Jack G start showing some week in week out on field consistency before he gets the job.

Reactions: 1 user

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
Depends which way the club goes.
Reward loyalty? Someone for a few years while some mature further by being say a VC?
Or go hard now and appoint a 24-27 year old?
The main points to consider:
1. Will Dusty be asked?
2. Will the players vote for him?
3. Does Dusty WANT to be have C next to his name as by all reports he is already quite vocal and a leader already?
Dusty has been our Tribal Chief since the day he arrived at Tiger Town. Doesn’t need to be made captain. He is a free spirit with a licence to roam anywhere he sees fit on the ground.
Was an excellent foil for Cotchin throughout his captaincy.... no reason why that couldn’t continue with say Jack Graham who, whilst still young, has the luxury of still having Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Grimes there to support him as he grows into the role of leader.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
The more I think about it, I don't get the Jack Graham thing. Good player, but still a developing player. Cotch got the job too early and had to grow with it. obviously the results speak for themselves, but we're a better club now than we were then. Vlastuin, Lynch or Grimes for me. Riewoldt probably too old.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Not on the list but if he was I'd vote for Kane Lambert, getting on like many of those others but just reckon he's made of the right stuff.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Odd that Graham’s ability and selection is being questioned. Runner up in the B&F suggests his position in the team is pretty rock solid.

Reactions: 7 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Dusty has been our Tribal Chief since the day he arrived at Tiger Town. Doesn’t need to be made captain. He is a free spirit with a licence to roam anywhere he sees fit on the ground.
Was an excellent foil for Cotchin throughout his captaincy.... no reason why that couldn’t continue with say Jack Graham who, whilst still young, has the luxury of still having Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Grimes there to support him as he grows into the role of leader.
I guess the club will be in no rush according to Balmey.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
A young player like Jack Graham.

I don’t see why Trent would hand it over to another senior player.

This should be about passing on the torch, with guidance, from one captain who led from a young age to another.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
No way FlossTone.

He blew a gasket this year.
Got really chatty with the umps, other players.
Ridiculous 50's given away gifting goals from the goal line.
Really petulent stuff.
Not Captain material.
Gotta earm some trust back.

Despite Jackmond saying "there is a litany of players that can do the job" they're actually isn't.
(if Jack was 3 years younger this would be a non-issue, he would be Captain.)

My choice, Optimus Prime for 2 years.
Consummate pro.
Hard, Tough, Disciplined, Good speaker, a winner.
End of.

Then Fridge to take over as a long term leader.

(Nank would be good too, but always a suspension or injury question mark on him.
After match interviews a worry too. Cheerio, Barge!)

Whoever they pick has to be a guy who doesn't miss weeks.
Captain needs to be playing every week.

Therefore, Optimus Prime.
I'm with you here. Vlas would have been automatic prior to this year. His attitude wasn't right this season. He was petulant instead of leading by example. Could've been a blip, I guess it's up to the players or whoever is making the decision to decide.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
It will be Graham- it's clear they have been grooming him to be captain the past 2 seasons

I'd like it to be Grimes

(nice touch updating the token cheese sandwich to an irresistible toasty).

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I think it will be Vlastuin. At 27 he has a good 4 or 5 years left. Grimes is just too old now. The only other realistic choice I see would be Graham but I just don't think he's consistent enough yet or necessarily has the nous. Vlastuin looks like a born leader to me.
You may be right there so I’m prepared to accept that view.
Can anyone add some me light in the process selection, please?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Can’t understand the Graham nominations to be honest.

Second in the B&F in a year where most of our best 22 were down on form or injured for several games.

When Graham has a poor game, he goes missing. Consistency is still an issue. He is nowhere near as talented as Cotch.

Why would we foist captaincy on this young man?

*smile* hell, if we shoot the lights out at the draft table he may be borderline best 22.

Grimes or Vlastuin, has to be.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I've had Flossy in my sights for the last 18 months. Say no more.
I heard Flossy say there's been a creepy guy parked outside his house for 12 months+ in a social club chat.
Didn't know it was you.

• Haha

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
A captain must be someone who’s one of the first selected , there’s no question on his ability to play consistent footy and is looked upto as a leader by the group
IMHO that’s Nick Vlastuin

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

Second in the B&F in a year where most of our best 22 were down on form or injured for several games.

When Graham has a poor game, he goes missing. Consistency is still an issue. He is nowhere near as talented as Cotch.

*smile* hell, if we shoot the lights out at the draft table he may be borderline best 22.

Agree with this. Fridge has put in some solid performances and, yes, rated highly in the B&F. His media work and supporter work is strong. But I don't think he's a leader on the field. The bloke you look to when *smile* is hitting the fan. I reckon he can get there but may be a year or two away which is why I'm miffed at Cotch giving it up now.

Grimes - would struggle to play any longer than Cotch
Vlastuin - let us all down with onfield stupidity over the past 12 months

I come back to Nank (my preference if he is happy to do more of the media stuff)(, Dusty (see Nank but he also needs to do more in the supporter sphere) or Lambert.

We are seriously lacking for well rounded leaders which is why I would have preferred Cotch stay on for at least one more year

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

I don't feel too strongly about who gets it but agree that Graham is still establishing himself as a player. 23/24 is very young to be taking on the captaincy and it nearly broke Cotchin. If they're set on Graham then it makes sense to give it to one of the older blokes for a couple of years, which carries concerns over deteriorating form.

I wonder whether they're worried about further head knocks if they give it to Vlastuin. Yeah he has a hot temper but I'm sure he can evolve if he wants the job.

Reactions: 4 users