New Rule's | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rule's

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
Any thoughts on the changes from the new rules?

Though the game looked less like Aus kick!

The lack of runners does make the game more interesting and better on the eye!

I was a critical of making changes, but I think so far it has made the game better than the swamp the game has tended to be for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Kane Lambert ran in off the back of the square all game, just like he has for the last two years. Houli ran back and covered for him.

So what changed?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
TOT70 said:
Kane Lambert ran in off the back of the square all game, just like he has for the last two years. Houli ran back and covered for him.

So what changed?

As suspected very little. The number of times a ball is won out of the middle and able to be nicely and quickly delivered to a team mate in the forward line is very small. The appropriate wingman simply pushes back as hard as they can on the bounce to create the spare man. The kick outs from behinds, again the defensive unit simply sets a bit further back than they did last year. In a way, because they are all further back, they can flood their backline quicker and make it even harder to score. Ball grabbed out of the ruck. I don't mind this rule. If the ruckman is quick enough in mind and hand/foot to get the ball out to a team mate within the normal disposal rules then good luck to them. Most ruckmen aren't too quick in the mind. Nanks is probably up there as one of the more skilled going around.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Thankfully they didn’t change last year’s rule change: Carlton will always be humiliated in prime time night footy.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Re: New Rules

We trapped it in the F50 after a behind quite easily... How many times did they have to kick "into touch" aka out on the full due to pressure and no options.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It will be telling how the teams with a dominant ruckman go - that will be where we will see the most change I reckon.

Nank looked more dangerous for us last night but whether that was the result of the rule changes who knows

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
TOT70 said:

So what changed?

Quite a lot I reckon.

When Lambert was doing that last year (and BTW he probably stood on the line of the square rather than on the 50m line - so he was closer to bounce last year) - he was typically one of 7 Tiger "defenders" behind the ball and they only had 5 forwards (assuming they were doing likewise at the other end.
Last night Lambert was technically one of 6 defenders and if he ran hard to the bounce that immediately left 6 Carlton forwards to the remaining 5 Tiger defenders (until Houli gets back).
That's a risky strategy if the other side gets an immediate clearance from the bounce.

So I reckon it's a change that will improve the game.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Kick outs were good.
Have to say I was critical of it but it really opened the game up.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
se7en said:
Kick outs were good.

Agree.

Noticed the ball not getting held in defensive 50's for long periods after points.

Although this was a major strength of ours, now gone. But the game does benefit from the opening up

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The 6 6 6 rule made little difference. The kick in rule is interesting watching how the teams used it and also defended it. Nank was all over the new ruck rule.

Not doing much to increase scoring in tonight's game.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
se7en said:
Kick outs were good.

That seemed to work fine and it certainly is a relief they did it without making the goal square look totally ridiculous.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Too early to call. First three rounds average 13.5 goals per team over the past decade, then it declines. 10.5 isn't a great start, but both games were played in humid/greasy conditions.

Teams press back a little deeper on the kickouts; certainly, Carlton was able to maintain a barebones defensive structure most of the time and weren't often caught out over the top like last year. Haven't seen many "coast-to-coast" goals and suspect these will decline.

As the rules are tinkered with, so are gameplans. Jury out.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Too early to call. First three rounds average 13.5 goals per team over the past decade, then it declines. 10.5 isn't a great start, but both games were played in humid/greasy conditions.

Teams press back a little deeper on the kickouts; certainly, Carlton was able to maintain a barebones defensive structure most of the time and weren't often caught out over the top like last year. Haven't seen many "coast-to-coast" goals and suspect these will decline.

As the rules are tinkered with, so are gameplans. Jury out.

In JLT games they said the average Coast to Coast goals had halved from previous year. As you say too early to call but signs are there that scores will be lower this year.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Well the new rules have certainly had the desired impact of opening up the scoring. Geelong 72 Pies 65 - a real shootout. :hihi