Richmond's Premiership Window? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's Premiership Window?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Am interested in what the fair minded/impartial people;) on here believe our Premiership Window remains open?

IMO opinion we may only have 2 more years at our Zenith, (2022 Edwards, Houli, Cotchin, JR8 will be gone), we may find replacements nearing the same talent but miles off in footy IQ.

Reactions: 1 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Been open a fair while. We have done well replenishing the support cast when we lost Maric, Newman, Foley King, Jackson and lids.

The one big addition which has made us more formidable is the second class forward tall which Jack had never had to assist.

Rancey a big loss and Jack and Shed will be also. Cotchin's output is slowly diminishing but he still impacts games at vital moments.

If our big three plus Shed play well another three years, no reason we cant contend for that period. We have some top line A grade replacements in Prestia and Lynch and some promising kids but it will be near impossible to replace what Dusty and Jack provide.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The big players are around for roughly 4 more years. So that is our immediate premiership window.

We have a bucket load of under 25s who are already premiership players or have shown very good potential. Graham, Rioli, Baker, Ross, Bolton and Stack. Continuing at the top will require the likes of CJJ, Balta and RCD to come on

We will also need to pinch some quality midfielders like young Green (not the Toby type one) from GWS

Proper development and adding free agents we could extend the time at the top to 10years. Will require smart drafting and trading but our guys are on top of their game at the moment

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Am interested in what the fair minded/impartial people;) on here believe our Premiership Window remains open?

rephrase the question and I may choose to participate in the thread

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Proper development and adding free agents we could extend the time at the top to 10years. Will require smart drafting and trading but our guys are on top of their game at the moment

Having reached the point in my life prior to 2017 where I believed I'd never witness another flag.... the sustained success you describe @TigerPort would be a more than fitting finale ... after that they can wrap me up in me tiger blanket and chuck me in a hole!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Having reached the point in my life prior to 2017 where I believed I'd never witness another flag.... the sustained success you describe @TigerPort would be a more than fitting finale ... after that they can wrap me up in me tiger blanket and chuck me in a hole!

Surely you would want a screen playing the premierships on loop including in the box with a solar panel as a headstone to provide the power

• Haha

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I remain hopeful it never closes (at least not all the way). Picking up the point on another thread, in our premiership 22, we have Bolton and Baker as 21 yo's. Soldo, Castagna, Short, Rioli as 22/23 yo/s, Nank, Broad and Vlastuin as 25/26yos, Prestia, Caddy and Lynch as 27 yo/s, Grimes, Astbury, Lambert, Pickett, Dusty and Cotchin as 28/29 yo's. Only Jack, Houli and Shed as 30+ yo's. Behind that we have Graham, Higgins, Ross as bona fide best 22 players and CCJ, RCD, Turner, Naish, Garthwaite as good money replacements. I think the age profile and balance of the list is such that we have 5 to 10 years in the top echelon of the ladder,

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I think we've recruited brilliantly over the last few years. I expect that we will be planning for the retirement of the champions mentioned and look forward to a another Presia, Caddy, Lynch etc joining our "Destination Club".

We need to be like Hawks, Swans and Cats, and be contesting finals most years.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I remain hopeful it never closes (at least not all the way). Picking up the point on another thread, in our premiership 22, we have Bolton and Baker as 21 yo's. Soldo, Castagna, Short, Rioli as 22/23 yo/s, Nank, Broad and Vlastuin as 25/26yos, Prestia, Caddy and Lynch as 27 yo/s, Grimes, Astbury, Lambert, Pickett, Dusty and Cotchin as 28/29 yo's. Only Jack, Houli and Shed as 30+ yo's. Behind that we have Graham, Higgins, Ross as bona fide best 22 players and CCJ, RCD, Turner, Naish, Garthwaite as good money replacements. I think the age profile and balance of the list is such that we have 5 to 10 years in the top echelon of the ladder,

Excellent summary, although I remain unconvinced by Garthwaite.

I still think we would need a couple of quality free agents to stay near the top for another 10 years but we certainly have the basis to do this.

Keeping the off-field ticking along well and the membership numbers high, as well as redeveloping Punt Rd, are also factors.

Can't believe how young some of our premiership players are, scarey . . . for the opposition :cupgold

DS

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Maybe another 1 or 2 years.
Down falls usually come swift and fast.
Nobody sees it coming but everyone is an expert after it happens

Reactions: 2 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Reckon we have 2 more years of utter dominance and the window is open for another 4.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Hopefully we are able to stagger the retirements of our stars. Don't want to see Jack & Cotch or Jack & Shedda or Cotchin & Shedda go at the same time.
Houli is likely to go after this season.
I see 3 really good years ahead but could be more with astute recruiting and FA.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
2 years, our list will be competitive for a while... but another club will come from somewhere....

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon we're in a 'super window' until Dusty turns 32, so 4 more seasons, then we'll just drop back to a regular premiership window for 10 or 15 years after that. So 20-odd years. :cupgold

Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Probably 20 and 21 left for another realistic run at a flag as of right now.

Finals contenders for a few more after depending on what we bring in and how many kids step right up.

One or two high quality Free Agents could make a big big difference over the next 2 -3 years.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Rance is a big loss no matter whether we won last year or not.
Jack, Cotch, Bachar, Shedda all another year older..
Can we maintain the rage? The complete buy in? The togetherness?
So many intangibles.

It's not just about our list though.
Who knows how much other teams will improve?

The comp is so even I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a 'window'.
You need a hell of a lot to go right to win flags in an equalised 18 team competition & we've done exceptionally well to win two of them already.
I've really no idea what's around the corner. Just hope for the best & enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Could be over already and we don't realise it. But if the young talent realises its potential and is skilfully managed, that thing could be chocked open for years.