New Rule's | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rule's

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
The Big Richo said:
I can't think of many professional sports where players are coached on the ground during the game. Not having them looks a lot better and the ground being less cluttered can only be good for the game.

There's no doubt they are used to influence visual perception of space on the ground by some teams.

Agree! Like the idea of players playing the game and older wiser heads reading the game and reacting in real time.

The way some teams used runners to guard space and coach on ground drove me spare. Nick Maxwell took it past a joke.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Twang Russell just congratulated Shocking about this triple 6 system working well....huh??

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Twang Russell just congratulated Shocking about this triple 6 system working well....huh??

The commentators gushing over the 6 6 6 rule has been nauseating. Barely made a difference.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
TigerForce said:

Yeah was saying its working a treat. Did he not watch the other 6 games of the round where it had zero impact. Agree on some comments on the kick in, it looks to actually be having the opposite effect to what they were after in some ways.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Been a good game to watch. You'd expect free scoring at Marvel at this time of year given these two teams averaged 99 and 97 points against in 2018. I think we're watching the wooden spoon battle.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The Big Richo said:
Yes and no.

St Kilda v Gold Coast is 77 v 64 and over 60 has been scored from centre bounces. I think the long term average from centre before this year was about 18.

Scoring from the centre more often would make the game as boring as continuous aces in tennis.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Funny. This from the afl site.

—-

THE OPENING round of this year's competition made unwanted AFL history, with eight scores below 70 points and only three of at least 100.

It was the second time since the League was renamed the AFL in 1990 that there were just three triple-digit tallies in round one, but that previous occasion in 1991 featured only four games.

The season that most recently resembled this past weekend was in 2014, when there were five 100-plus scores and seven sub-70s.

—-

Anyway sample size of nine isn’t enough but you have to laugh if the rule changes drive the opposite outcome.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Watching games it is obvious that once fatigue sets in the game open ups. The solution to congestion is entirely simple and KB has been banging on about it for years. Reduce the interchange.

Leigh Matthews pointed out that the 50m arc is now more congested than it was at centre bounces, with 12 players in there.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
AFL are either dumb mothers or are manipulating the game ,
These rule changes WILL NOT make for more goals and less congestion .
LOWER the interchange numb nuts ....

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
The AFL are incompetent - they wouldn't last 5mins in a competitive accountable environment - its jobs for the boys no matter how useless you are. Gill the Dill leads the charge.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The Big Richo said:
Yes and no.

St Kilda v Gold Coast is 77 v 64 and over 60 has been scored from centre bounces. I think the long term average from centre before this year was about 18.

Maybe be it gives crap teams a chance to score..against each other.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
maverick said:
The AFL are incompetent - they wouldn't last 5mins in a competitive accountable environment - its jobs for the boys no matter how useless you are. Gill the Dill leads the charge.

Yep look at whats happened to Demetriou since.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
So twang & some other knob on SEN talking about last touch out of bounds = free kick, trialled in SANFL in 2019.

Said it suits the AFL as it will also cut down on time on's so will shorten the game as they want

So another *smile* rule to counteract a previous *smile* rule

back in 1994 the time on rule was modified to stop clock for throw ins, used to be just for goals & major game stopped type injuries

heres an idea, just go back to the original time on rule pre 94 change instead of adding another *smile* rule

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
So twang & some other knob on SEN talking about last touch out of bounds = free kick, trialled in SANFL in 2019.

Said it suits the AFL as it will also cut down on time on's so will shorten the game as they want

It was trialled in the AFL pre-season comp in the 90's. Half the free kicks came down to pure luck.

I'd class it as an anti-Richmond suggestion since we try to force teams to the boundary.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

So another ***** rule to counteract a previous ***** rule

back in 1994 the time on rule was modified to stop clock for throw ins, used to be just for goals & major game stopped type injuries

heres an idea, just go back to the original time on rule pre 94 change instead of adding another **** rule
Was listening to DerWayne yesterday and dunno if its the same discussion, but he had Blight on and they were banging on about it!
What's with all these SA types ******* with the game. Ffs that how ****** dumb they are over there, Dwayne Russell is the oracle of all things south australian and they hang off every word he says and the irony is .....he's lived just outta geelong for 30 years!:rotfl1

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Was listening to DerWayne yesterday and dunno if its the same discussion, but he had Blight on and they were banging on about it!
What's with all these SA types ******* with the game. Ffs that how ****** dumb they are over there, Dwayne Russell is the oracle of all things south australian and they hang off every word he says and the irony is .....he's lived just outta geelong for 30 years!:rotfl1
yep, thats right it was Malcomn Blight ( on the game), another ex Geelong toss bag trying to ruin the game

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Last touch out of bounds free kick is silly. I remember years ago there was technically a deliberate out of bounds rule, but you'd see it paid maybe twice a year, had to be so obvious it was ridiculous. I think the change to lower the bar for deliberate out of bounds was reasonable, leave it as is, the balance is right.

DS

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
New rule to be tried in 2020 is that the previous year Premiers can't play off in the GF (trying to deter greedy dynasties).

Rule will only be tried for this year.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users