New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
they showed some footage of the the anti richmond rule where 50's were being paid for players on the mark off balance taking one step.

the umpires are gonna completely stuff this up

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Can’t believe with 2 days to go before the season opener , nothing confirmed yet with the ‘concussion /sub rule’.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
*Late last year at Steve Hocking's home*

Steve Hocking (SH) : *smile*! *smile*, *smile*, fuckety *smile*! Fukkit! *smile* I hate Richmond! *smile*!
Mrs Hocking (AKA the Competition Committee) (CC): Now, now dear. Language!
SH: *slumped down in an aging Easyboy recliner with powered massage wheels under the faux leather* *smile* Richmond won another flag.
CC: Well someone has to win, dear.
SH: Yes but it was against my beautiful, beautiful boys.
CC: Who, dear?
SH: Geelong.
CC: *Knowing what is coming* Was that the team you played for, dear?
SH: Yes.
CC: There, there. Would you like some tea?
SH: No, I would not like some tea. I want Geelong to win another flag.
CC: Well aren't you the head of the AFL or something? Go and do something about it!
SH: *stands* You know, that's a great idea. All I need to do is.... *mumbles and wanders off to the garage where he has a whiteboard and markers* *the whiteboard has a small plaque that reads "Property of the Geelong Football Club"*

*three months later at AFL House*

Gillian McLachlan - CEO of the AFL (GM): Morning Steve
SH: Morning Gill
GM: That's Mr McLachlan to you, Steve
SH: Um, what? Nevermind. Anyway... I was chatting with the Competition Committee and...
GM: *interrupting* Is this going to be another "we need to increase scoring" suggestion?
SH: *continues without a pause* she said, I mean, we reckon the best way to stifle Richmond is to make them stand the mark without moving allowing Geelong, erm..., the opposition to play on quickly to advantage
GM: Really?
SH: Yep. Gonna work a treat. Everytime a Richmond player as much flinches we'll get the umpires to pay a 50. Should see Geelong, erm...., scoring increase by about 30%
GM: 30%?
SH: Yep!
GM: That's a great idea. Wait till the TV execs hear about this! More adverts for them. More revenue for us. It's a win-win.
SH: Plus Richmond won't win the flag.
GM: What?
SH: Nevermind. Brilliant idea by you Gill.
GM: *absent mindedly* Mr McLachlan
SH: You are the best CEO the AFL has ever had.
GM: Thank's Steve.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Sub idea ...

Have 5 on the bench but ...

1 players has to wear the sub vest (yes its back) for a minimum of a quarter, (ie: cannot go on the ground for the quarter, except if ...

1. another player is out of the game (concussion or serious injury) - or
2. concussion (20 minute assessment).

In both cases the player with the vest effectively swaps with the player out of the game for 20 mins or the match.

Advantages ...

1. No player sits on the bench all day (if not required as a sub)
2. No more than 22 players can play any quarter
3. The 20 minute concussion sub does not disadvantage any team (as it currently does).
4. Difficult to game the system (no real advantage of feigning injuries etc.).

Disadvantage

1. If a team loses a player to a serious injury (eg: knee) and then has a concussion they are down a player. (Can't really see any way around this)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Disadvantage

1. If a team loses a player to a serious injury (eg: knee) and then has a concussion they are down a player. (Can't really see any way around this)
If a player is off for an assessment, does he have to be replaced by the designated concussion sub? If so then it's probably a slight disadvantage that the player undergoing the test is replaced by the (presumably) 23rd-best player instead of maybe the 19th-best, if the tested player is eventually cleared to resume.

Have to say I'm a fan in principle with a view to having fair matchups, given the current sensitivity around head knocks, although obviously the players and clubs hate the drawbacks related to sustaining match fitness.

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
If a player is off for an assessment, does he have to be replaced by the designated concussion sub? If so then it's probably a slight disadvantage that the player undergoing the test is replaced by the (presumably) 23rd-best player instead of maybe the 19th-best, if the tested player is eventually cleared to resume.

Have to say I'm a fan in principle with a view to having fair matchups, given the current sensitivity around head knocks, although obviously the players and clubs hate the drawbacks related to sustaining match fitness.
I believe the AFL are going to go for an injury sub rather than a concussion sub. They claim that there will be measures to mitigate misuse, overall I always think the AFL tend to over complicate things, (eg: ruck nominations) I just think my idea doesn't strand a player on the bench (let's face it, players hated being the sub) and doesnt require regulations around clubs playing ducks and drakes around who's injured and who's not. I mean any player can claim to have hamstring / calf tightness etc.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Well, the ironic thing is, if the standing the mark change is what's opened up play and scoring (still thinks its the interchange limits that are largely behind it but anyway), then that does not play to Geewhinge's advantage. They need the game played in a stop start and slow fashion. It's little wonder Salty Scott, Shrugwood and Clangerfield are all 'Geewhinging' about the changes.

Thanks Shocking !!!
It *smile* infuriates me how dumb these commentators are. One *smile* journo, Scott Gullan - not even a journo, he has sunk even lower than that description - a *smile* Geesook supporter at that, makes up utter *smile* about Shocking being infuriated with Richmond. How the *smile* would he know the utter moron that he is. And how utterly not true. Its the *smile* stop start nature of games that led to this rule. The Geelong 15 metre kicks, mark, stop, chip kick again style of play + Freo awful defence tactics and, at times, Collingwood's style that is why this new rule was created to open up the game.

As Minceley the sycophant even said last year during their post GF show, "thank god for Richmond and their attractive game plan".

So some non existent, minion of a 'journo' makes up crap.

But for all these other idiots to not only believe it, but to start discussing it and validating this lie as a reality is what is so infuriating. Its basically now set in stone that its a Richmond Rule can you believe it.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I believe the AFL are going to go for an injury sub rather than a concussion sub. They claim that there will be measures to mitigate misuse, overall I always think the AFL tend to over complicate things, (eg: ruck nominations) I just think my idea doesn't strand a player on the bench (let's face it, players hated being the sub) and doesnt require regulations around clubs playing ducks and drakes around who's injured and who's not. I mean any player can claim to have hamstring / calf tightness etc.
Think they always got used, the timing was a strategic play (although bad luck if you activated the sub and he got injured).

Would prefer three interchange plus an injury sub rather than four + sub.
How the *smile* would he know the utter moron that he is.
The description of the Competition Committee as a means to silence outspoken voices suggests it's coming from a disgruntled member of that committee.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
How *smile* is SHocking. 24 hours before the first game of the season and he is still trying to negotiate to bring in another new rule. FFS he is an embarrassment and should resign or be sacked immediately.

This is an absolute joke. You have 4 players on the bench. Deal with the injuries as they come; just like we did in the GF last year. We haven't had a crowd to a game of footy in Melbourne in 18 months yet SHocking has managed to hijack the return of football with his imbecilic attempts to stamp his pathetic mark on the game.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How *smile* is SHocking. 24 hours before the first game of the season and he is still trying to negotiate to bring in another new rule. FFS he is an embarrassment and should resign or be sacked immediately.

This is an absolute joke. You have 4 players on the bench. Deal with the injuries as they come; just like we did in the GF last year. We haven't had a crowd to a game of footy in Melbourne in 18 months yet SHocking has managed to hijack the return of football with his imbecilic attempts to stamp his pathetic mark on the game.

Hear ! Hear Chimpley ! One of your more bearable piffling rants.

Only the AFL with an inept executive like Hocking could find itself deliberating about the introduction of a significant rule change one day ....one ****** day before the season starts. Unbelievable. Just sheer and utter incompetence. How long have we known about and been dealing with concussion impacts, safety etc. ? Yet here we are one day out from the start of the season looking, potentially, to introduce a fundamental lever to help manage the issue.

Hocking is a complete joke of an administrator.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hear ! Hear Chimpley ! One of your more bearable piffling rants.

Only the AFL with an inept executive like Hocking could find itself deliberating about the introduction of a significant rule change one day ....one ****** day before the season starts. Unbelievable. Just sheer and utter incompetence. How long have we known about and been dealing with concussion impacts, safety etc. ? Yet here we are one day out from the start of the season looking, potentially, to introduce a fundamental lever to help manage the issue.

Hocking is a complete joke of an administrator.

Scarecrows on the mark was clearly more important than player health.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Amazing just how bad this is. What's worse is like Trump, we've become accustomed to behaviour like this from the AFL so there is no uproar. I'm just waiting to hear how allowing an injury sub will increase scoring. Or rather to their new narrative about opening up the game seeing the push to increase scoring had the opposite effect.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Amazing just how bad this is. What's worse is like Trump, we've become accustomed to behaviour like this from the AFL so there is no uproar. I'm just waiting to hear how allowing an injury sub will increase scoring. Or rather to their new narrative about opening up the game seeing the push to increase scoring had the opposite effect.

And part of the reason for that is the sycophantic media who just cow-tail to the AFL for fear of being ostracized by them should they put too much heat on their key executives when they come out with crazy situations like this.

Maybe he has, but have you heard Mince Whateley ask why this wasn't planned or catered for much earlier ? He had Gil the Dill on his show on Monday. He's always banging on about having more rule changes etc on his tv and radio shows but doesn't have the guts to ask why it is that we are going through this so late in the 11th hour.

He won't because it would reference poor management on behalf of Hocking and the AFL and he doesn't want to upset his buddies.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's here. A new rule 24 hours before the start of the season:rolleyes:. It's a medical, not just concussion, sub. And here's the kicker; the injury must be game ending but the player will be able to prove his fitness to play the following week o_O . Has to be approved by AFL medical officer. No can't see any rorting of this rule :rolleyes:. How many players who are struggling for form will come off the ground with "hammy tightness" in the second half?

Why stop here? What happens if 2 or 3 or 4 players get game ending injuries. Let's just scrap the VFL, SANFL and WAFL sides and have the whole squad sitting on the bench.

FFS this is an absolute joke. SHocking press conference at 12pm. Hopefully it is to announce his resignation. Otherwise he should be sacked. The most incompetent AFL administrator ever. No mean feat.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users