New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

That 'Standing on the Mark' rule needs to go... sorry if I'm late to the discussion, but after witnessing it last night it's got to go.

Reactions: 7 users
That 'Standing on the Mark' rule needs to go... sorry if I'm late to the discussion, but after witnessing it last night it's got to go.

Agree 100%, significantly changes the game and possible results, its anti pressure and looks like basketball

Reactions: 3 users
Kicking for goal Lynch went off line but play on call was slow and he got 4 or 5 m closer to goal than he would with a player on Mark allowed to shuffle sideways.

Kicking for goal Lynch went off line but play on call was slow and he got 4 or 5 m closer to goal than he would with a player on Mark allowed to shuffle sideways.
I see the advantage, but it will bite us too.

Reactions: 1 user
Only going by eyesight but I thought far far less players were playing on 2nd half.

I think the new statue rule will keep teams destined for ladder position 7 to 12 in the games longer against the top 6 teams. It will cause blow outs between top 6 teams vs bottom 6 teams. And for top 6 teams playing another top 6 team it will add a random result element that will come down to who is lucky with the 50 meter penalties.

I love games with congestion. Always have.

That was ridiculous....Weitering(?) just had to stand there whilst Lynch ran out an kicked a goal.....craziness. Fair play to the guy on the mark who played to the rule, but can see plenty who wont. Hate to see a game decided by that.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the new statue rule will keep teams destined for ladder position 7 to 12 in the games longer against the top 6 teams. It will cause blow outs between top 6 teams vs bottom 6 teams. And for top 6 teams playing another top 6 team it will add a random result element that will come down to who is lucky with the 50 meter penalties.

I love games with congestion. Always have.

I love the contest and agree with others that it was too open and the man on the mark has definitely impacted that.

Just looking at tackle numbers from 2 years ago, between Tiges and Blues, we had 125 tackles. Last night it was 81. Thats a significant drop.

That was ridiculous....Weitering(?) just had to stand there whilst Lynch ran out an kicked a goal.....craziness. Fair play to the guy on the mark who played to the rule, but can see plenty who wont. Hate to see a game decided by that.

May aswell lie them on the ground and tell them to play dead fish.

I‘ve often thought our attacking strategy was based on taking away the opponent’s ability to defend against us.

We go fast because it means they can’t set up defensively like they trained. So, we’re taking away their negating power, or, we’re adding from double subtraction.

This is why I see the man on the mark rule as a double whammy. It’s harder for us to defend ourselves (particularly in the midfield, which has downstream repercussions for our defence), and it encourages frantic attack from our opposition, which in itself is naturally harder to defend against with organised structures.

Last night looked like a fight of flying fists, but I trust we’ll be looking to find new ways to block and use the opponent’s weight against them.

Yeah it would be easier if nothing had changed from last year, but the reality is new problems are always going to arise. Such as:

Q1: How much, if at all, do we reorganise our defence against faster, less predictable attacks?

Q2: How can our midfield defend better when they’ve got the ball?

It won’t come easy, but if they remain hungry to solve new problems, they’ll only get better as the year wears on.

As for the injury sub rule... even though it’s going to be applied to innocuous injuries, it reduces pressure to play through injuries - which is a win for the players.

Bachar Houli in the Grand Final is a fine example. He caused damage that could’ve been avoided.

However, with only 1 injury sub, the next logical step is to have multiple injury subs.

The yearly attempt at curbing Richmond’s dominance will cement Hocking’s legacy:

A man who is off the mark.

I love the contest and agree with others that it was too open and the man on the mark has definitely impacted that.

Just looking at tackle numbers from 2 years ago, between Tiges and Blues, we had 125 tackles. Last night it was 81. Thats a significant drop.

Would be interesting to see if that reduction is skewed between the arcs.

The Blues chipped the ball from the backline to goal too easily.

This will be our problem.
We dont do this but Cats WCE and pies do.
The rule will massively favour them.
Fast short chips to players running into space will be nigh on impossible to stop.
Our defence will have to be concentrated on the d 50 arc and in preventing stoppage clearance .But the kick out from a point will be a serious concern. If we cant stop Blues then top sides will score most times.
Yes...a lot like basketball! Rubbish rule.

Would be interesting to see if that reduction is skewed between the arcs.

Across the board really. Tackles inside 50 were way down as well, only 8 registered. I'm pretty sure Carlton had those 2 tackles (we had 6 for the game) inside 50 in the 1st quarter and then had 0 for the rest of the match.

1616109410198.png

You are right, I remember looking at the tackles inside 50 stat at quarter time and it was us 3 them 2, stayed the same until 3/4 time. How can there be so few tackles inside 50? I hope this changes, Australian Football should be a more contested game than that.

DS

Hmmm - experts rabbiting on re the rushed behind free and the caddy 50. Wonder how many tv shows will highlight this and *smile*. Also wonder if such coverage and outrage if it had gone the other way??

Yp. I didn't see the preseason game. Last night was the first and it's awful

Needs to be called for what it is, (CRR) the Curb Richmond Rule

Bl00dy farce, SHocking strikes again.

• Haha