New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It baffles me reading about what is happening at VFL level, particularly as team structure is so important at AFL level.

It's a massive disadvantage if the lower leagues interstate are not handicapped by this rubbish.

How the hell are we to seemlessly plug a kid from the VFL into our game plan when they are playing basically 'some other sport' every weekend?

Plus, it is just a s*** rule.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Well the new rules worked a treat last night - that pies lions game was as boring as bat sh!te.

A game between these two would normally be a hard fast highly contested game - not looking good.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Well the new rules worked a treat last night - that pies lions game was as boring as bat sh!te.

A game between these two would normally be a hard fast highly contested game - not looking good.
Well...... according to Gil, who was just on radio....... "it was a cracking game":rolleyes: (then again, if your chosen leisure sport is polo, I suppose anything else would look exciting!)

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004

Could not agree more. Watched a fair bit of it, against my better judgement, as I hate watching Collingwood, but hoping for a Lions win.

The statue new rule is making a mockery of the contested game it once was, in my opinion. I do not find watching uncontested marks from a short kick very enervating in any way. Just boring.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Interesting to hear what they said on First Crack just now. Probably mentioned before on this thread, but was Scott Gullan of the Hun right in saying SHocking's main reason to bring this rule in was to stop our dominance???

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Interesting to hear what they said on First Crack just now. Probably mentioned before on this thread, but was Scott Gullan of the Hun right in saying SHocking's main reason to bring this rule in was to stop our dominance???
This was the quote.
Word has it [Hocking] studied Richmond closely while in the hub in Queensland and grew increasingly angry at how the Tigers pushed the envelope when they stood the mark.

Captain Trent Cotchin is said to have been the No. 1 culprit, or expert depending on which way you look at, when it came to shutting down the corridor by encroaching on the mark.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/5bfd3cb5621aceb115cb44207d08afcb (paywalled)

Instead of the premier being the benchmark and all the other clubs trying to emulate it, they have levelled the playing field by altering the fabric of the game and forcing every club to adjust. There are winners and losers, and under this arrangement the premier is automatically a loser. If the club was prepared to call it out for what it is, I could walk away tomorrow having seen my share of premierships and knowing we got there under our own steam. No AFL bailouts, no academy gifts, no insiders manipulating things in Richmond's favour. We beat the world.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
....and grew increasingly angry at how the Tigers pushed the envelope.

Increasingly angry......what a *smile* this bloke is.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Watch the show First Crack on Kayo or Fox Footy.

Slow inside midfielders are under real threat with the new rules..

Who have we got in that category?
That's why it's best to release Ross, RCD and Martyn.

Glad I heard King and Dixon say what we all know is going to happen. Swans won't be this fiery at business end of season. It's only Round 3. Dimma's words in the presser satisfied me with this loss. "Gift".

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
This was the quote.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/5bfd3cb5621aceb115cb44207d08afcb (paywalled)

Instead of the premier being the benchmark and all the other clubs trying to emulate it, they have levelled the playing field by altering the fabric of the game and forcing every club to adjust. There are winners and losers, and under this arrangement the premier is automatically a loser. If the club was prepared to call it out for what it is, I could walk away tomorrow having seen my share of premierships and knowing we got there under our own steam. No AFL bailouts, no academy gifts, no insiders manipulating things in Richmond's favour. We beat the world.
Great post Lee. If it true, it really is a disgrace and more should have been made of it but I suspect the rest of the footy world is sick of us so is happy to go along with it hoping the changing of the status quo favours the team they support.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Great post Lee. If it true, it really is a disgrace and more should have been made of it but I suspect the rest of the footy world is sick of us so is happy to go along with it hoping the changing of the status quo favours the team they support.
agree. But it won't be. More should be made of a lot of the incompetent, mal-administration, nepotism and overall bad governance of the AFL, but it never is. Unaccountable closed shop.

If its true Hocking became 'increasingly angry', that is outrageous. One Geelong idiot in a suit has a bug up his arse, and about something that is plain wrong at worst (my personal biased view) and subjective at best (I could sit him down with videos and prove this), and can have this big an impact.

One mans 'pushing the envelope/ encroaching' (read cheating) is another man's defensive discipline and vigilence. Geelong suckhole.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
....and grew increasingly angry at how the Tigers pushed the envelope.

Increasingly angry......what a *smile* this bloke is.
It was the Dorks who really introduced this stuff with the man-on-the-mark roaming sideways but especially aiming to make the quick kick into the corridor much harder/riskier. I know this because I remember initially resenting it as my thinking was they should be manning a spot where the kick was won. It was years ago, in the Dorks latter premiership years.

Soon all teams were doing it, of course, and you could see what the reasons were and just came to accept it as part of the modern game. For Shocking to blame this evolution on RFC or Cotchin as a recent innovation is complete nonsense.

When all teams can and were able to do it, there's nothing unfair. So it seems apparent that Shocking is acting very likely for a partisan interest that has not been able to cope with that evolution - unlike nearly all other teams.

After all, who was or would have been, objecting to this when it had become part of the game for maybe the last 7/8 years (can't even remember exactly)?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
True Leon, SHocking got a bee in his bonnet over something Richmond was doing, while every other team was also doing the same thing.

How this F***wit can have anything to do with the rules of the game when he says things like that is beyond me. Clear conflict of interest when you target one team.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
If stoppages "are the lowest on average since 2007" then it's hard to see us bringing in a second ruck (Chol/CuJo) going forward, and our list is now ruck-heavy (Mate/Samson + Soldo).

What a garbage article. Apparently football was on its knees and the public disinterested in the game until this tweak of the rules has made everyone fall back in love with it again. Pigs arse. What was wrong with making the player kick over the man on the mark?

I agree with what you say TBH and were just going to have to accept it and deal with it as best we can, meaning we can't be too top heavy and slow.

But Wayne Campbell describing SHocking as the saviour of football really grinds my gears. Wish comments on that article were turned on as i reckon there would be quite a bit of dissent.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I am already missing the contested footy. Too many chip-chip kicks. Teams flood back. Soon the crowd will be chanting “De-fence“ like a basketball game.

Reactions: 3 users