New Rules | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New Rules

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
after 2 rounds, and admittedly really only watched the tigers games, i still hate it. since when have footballers been forced to stay out of the play? it is a fundamental shift to the way the game is played, albeit a small
It just always feel like tinkering for the sake of tinkering. Like AFL House think THEY are the game. Any manager worth their salt will tell you that when they are doing their job right they should be virtually invisible. Only insecure managers feel the need to impose themselves. Given that mini-rant I think I saw a player today left stuck on the mark when the ump forgot to call play-on and gave the attacking player an extra 15m under no pressure. Stupid *smile* rule.

Attachments

• d83a72f16cc721524c5b82a4b0542f69.jpg
    d83a72f16cc721524c5b82a4b0542f69.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 27

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Centre square for one
once the ball is in play players can move into the centre square, they are also free to move around outside the centre square, following their opponent.
players are forced to stand still while the ball is live, and are forced to watch opponents run straight passed them.

very different situations.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It just always feel like tinkering for the sake of tinkering. Like AFL House think THEY are the game. Any manager worth their salt will tell you that when they are doing their job right they should be virtually invisible. Only insecure managers feel the need to impose themselves. Given that mini-rant I think I saw a player today left stuck on the mark when the ump forgot to call play-on and gave the attacking player an extra 15m under no pressure. Stupid *smile* rule.
we were gifted another goal on Sunday because the Hawks player was momentarily indecisive about whether to follow another player or man the mark, before taking a few steps forward to go on the mark. he did something he has been able to do his entire career, that had no impact on the play and it cost his team a goal.

while Buddy is now being called play on for something that previously he was told would not be called play on for- his 'natural arc'.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
after 2 rounds, and admittedly really only watched the tigers games, i still hate it. since when have footballers been forced to stay out of the play? it is a fundamental shift to the way the game is played, albeit a small one.
Spot on Brodders. Looks ridiculous them trying not to overbalance on the mark and stand there as their opponent almost strolls past.

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
once the ball is in play players can move into the centre square, they are also free to move around outside the centre square, following their opponent.
players are forced to stand still while the ball is live, and are forced to watch opponents run straight passed them.

very different situations.

Yep and look I do understand your point.

At the same time the centre square (or diamond initially) is an example of a rule change that restricted players from moving as freely as they had done for decades beforehand. And yet now it’s pretty much accepted as part of the game.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
next they'll make tackling illegal

the scarecrow rule is rubbish - the AFL wants free flowing AFLX type end to end free flowing bruise free football to increase scoring for their corporate sponsors. It goes against what makes this game great - contested football.

and another thing, how far is the player kicking out from a behind allowed to run without bouncing? Players have been running 30 meters without the ump blowing the whistle.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
we were gifted another goal on Sunday because the Hawks player was momentarily indecisive about whether to follow another player or man the mark, before taking a few steps forward to go on the mark. he did something he has been able to do his entire career, that had no impact on the play and it cost his team a goal.

while Buddy is now being called play on for something that previously he was told would not be called play on for- his 'natural arc'.

What I understand is that Buddy can still use his "arc" without being called "played on" if he starts his run at goal further away from the goals and runs his arc so that he is kicking over the mark. Once he runs further he is called to have played on.

More grey areas

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I still don't understand why Buddy has his own rule. Should learn to run strait like everyone else

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What I understand is that Buddy can still use his "arc" without being called "played on" if he starts his run at goal further away from the goals and runs his arc so that he is kicking over the mark. Once he runs further he is called to have played on.

More grey areas
Can't be right. If he decides to kick straight he won't have anyone directly in front of him.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I heard what Dimma said in the presser after our game on Sunday but can someone confirm this for me?

We have the VFL playing under rules that are different to the AFL. (Basically netball.) But we have other major development leagues (WA/SA/NSW/QLD) playing under the SAME rules as the AFL.

So a major advantage to sides in those states who can have AFL-like conditions for their depth players, whereas the VIC clubs cannot.

Thanks.
I think he was inferring that the umpiring was rubbish with frees for sneezing

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What are you blokes on about? According To Flobbo and Mince everyone loves the new rule.
Only issue with that is, Flobbo n Mince are imbeciles n spruikers for H.Q. Their " opinions " are merely arse dribble.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Mark Robinson has gone the early crow asking for the identification of the person who has "Saved the Game" with the new standing the mark rule.

Need i point out that history tells us teams take 4 to 6 rounds to get their defensive structures in place. Also bear in mind that a lot of teams are coming off extremely short pre-seasons, and all off shorter games last year. As fitness levels pick up, scores will drop. Deteriorating weather conditions into winter will also impact scores.

The average score over the first 2 round this year have been 84.35
In 2017 the average was 101.25
2018 = 90.3
2019 = 79.3

Worse still is the prospect that teams will start to employ the flood against the faster ball moving teams. Round 2 last year Richmond v Collingwood was a sign of things to come for the Tigers when Buckley employed a 'park the bus' strategy, flooding the Richmond forward line with players. The result was a virtual nil all draw. Most other teams employed the same strategy against the Tigers in an effort to contain their chaotic forward ball movement.

Expect that to become the norm for a lot of games this year, simply because a lot of teams can't attack without getting cut up on the turn over.

The reality is that the more they have changed the rules, the lower the scores have got.

Maybe the answer is to award TV time to teams that score the most. If you want to play a flooding game, then you can get the crap time slots with bugger all TV exposure which = no sponsors

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
and another thing, how far is the player kicking out from a behind allowed to run without bouncing? Players have been running 30 meters without the ump blowing the whistle.
Yeh, they don't enforce some rules when it suits. Players run too far all the time and it just gets ignored like throwing. As long as the ball keeps pinging end to end shocking is happy.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Mark Robinson has gone the early crow asking for the identification of the person who has "Saved the Game" with the new standing the mark rule.
Yep, best to wait and see, although superficially the style of play has been more attacking this year. Hocking has had an early win, but there's a lot to play out. Crowd numbers are yet to reflect media enthusiasm for the style of play.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Yep, best to wait and see, although superficially the style of play has been more attacking this year. Hocking has had an early win, but there's a lot to play out. Crowd numbers are yet to reflect media enthusiasm for the style of play.
It baffles me reading about what is happening at VFL level, particularly as team structure is so important at AFL level.

It's a massive disadvantage if the lower leagues interstate are not handicapped by this rubbish.

How the hell are we to seemlesly plug a kid from the VFL into our game plan when they are playing basically 'some other sport' every weekend?

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
It does appear most like the new statue rule. OK, but one thing I don't like is the chipping around to a player on his own. Bit like netball I reckon.
There is a lot of it and I don't find that all that interesting seeing a short kick to a non contest.