NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

In baseball, sometimes I don't mind it. I can last watching a 5 setter in tennis into midnight and beyond.
Yeah if there's some runs being scored, at least in tennis a 5 setter would be like 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, 9-7.

The bazball game I went to ended up 2-1 :sleep:

It was 1-1 after 9 :sleep::sleep:

Reactions: 1 user
My divisional and playoff and WS predictions will amaze you. Must reading. Will include ‘break out’ player predictions.

On sale soon in all good book stores and newsagents.

• Wow
I worked in Oil & Gas, although my bro is a far larger expert in it than I, but I'm fine with Shell man :)
2nd rate fuel. Go with BP. They have a slightly better refinery process here in Australia V others. V…..see how I did that ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
2nd rate fuel. Go with BP. They have a slightly better refinery process here in Australia V others. V…..see how I did that ?

Just not true. I worked in refining for over two decades. The fuel ex a refinery is effectively identical.

In many (especially smaller) terminals oil companies discharge gasoline/jet/diesel they independently source from different refineries into the same tanks. The inventory is then managed ownership wise via spreadsheets and not physically since multiple companies can own a percentage of the gasoline in one tank.

Branding starts pretty much at the service station and the additives added will be different and lead to the various claims you see on TV.

Some of the smaller operators especially in FNQ blend NMA into 91 to boost octane for a 95. I’d steer clear of that personally. You need to watch out what happens at a service station and maybe at a smaller terminal.

When it leaves a refinery it is pretty much fungible and can and will be sold from one major to another. You would have no idea which refinery your fuel came from.

• Love
Geez the NFL thread has gone to the dogs.

Taken over by petrol sniffing baseball fans ??

What a sad, sorry state of affairs this is !

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just not true. I worked in refining for over two decades. The fuel ex a refinery is effectively identical.

In many (especially smaller) terminals oil companies discharge gasoline/jet/diesel they independently source from different refineries into the same tanks. The inventory is then managed ownership wise via spreadsheets and not physically since multiple companies can own a percentage of the gasoline in one tank.

Branding starts pretty much at the service station and the additives added will be different and lead to the various claims you see on TV.

Some of the smaller operators especially in FNQ blend NMA into 91 to boost octane for a 95. I’d steer clear of that personally. You need to watch out what happens at a service station and maybe at a smaller terminal.

When it leaves a refinery it is pretty much fungible and can and will be sold from one major to another. You would have no idea which refinery your fuel came from.
Being a car enthusiast I was on a Mercedes high performance forum about 9 or 10 years ago and one of the guys in there was some mumbo jumbo scientist or something or other for the CSIRO or somebody.

He said they’d conducted thousands of tests on gasoline outputs from the pumps across all brands. He said that the 91 and 95 octanes were identical across all brands but not quite with 98 octane. He said BP 98 had just the very very slightest advantage where effective combustion and minimising as best as possible carbon deposits was concerned. This dude had pictures of piston and cylinder heads and everything. He said they’d traced it back to something to do with the refinery plants. I can’t remember exactly what he said but I think he said something about BP having its own tank/s or something ? here in Melbourne ? He may have even referenced something about purchasing the 98 in the Melbourne metro area. Can’t remember. Long time ago.

It was highly negligible the difference but he was adamant there was one. He had all these numbers and things that didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Heh heh heh….maybe he worked for BP.

Last edited:
Being a car enthusiast I was on a Mercedes high performance forum about 9 or 10 years ago and one of the guys in there was some mumbo jumbo scientist or something or other for the CSIRO or somebody.

He said they’d conducted thousands of tests on gasoline outputs from the pumps across all brands. He said that the 91 and 95 octanes were identical across all brands but not quite with 98 octane. He said BP 98 had just the very very slightest advantage where effective combustion and minimising as best as possible carbon deposits was concerned. This dude had pictures of piston and cylinder heads and everything. He said they’d traced it back to something to do with the refinery plants. I can’t remember exactly what he said but I think he said something about BP having its own tank/s or something ? here in Melbourne ? He may have even referenced something about purchasing the 98 in the Melbourne metro area. Can’t remember. Long time ago.

It was highly negligible the difference but he was adamant there was one. He had all these numbers and things that didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Heh heh heh….maybe he worked for BP.
98 is probably more a niche product and may have a dedicated set of infrastructure to support it. Depending on what kit the refinery has it can be quite challenging to produce whilst also meeting the maximum benzene (which is high octane) spec. What is in it would definitely differ by refinery even though they all meet the same specification and BP sunk hundreds of millions into Kwinana before they recently shut it down. BP would have to import 98 now or buy it from Viva Geelong or ampol lytton now for home refined product. So would be 100% dependent on what those processes are. So yep I was speaking about 91 and most of 95 until the recent additives the non majors were adding that have unknown effects on vehicle maintenance (especially seals).

Reactions: 1 users
98 is probably more a niche product and may have a dedicated set of infrastructure to support it. Depending on what kit the refinery has it can be quite challenging to produce whilst also meeting the maximum benzene (which is high octane) spec. What is in it would definitely differ by refinery even though they all meet the same specification and BP sunk hundreds of millions into Kwinana before they recently shut it down. BP would have to import 98 now or buy it from Viva Geelong or ampol lytton now for home refined product. So would be 100% dependent on what those processes are. So yep I was speaking about 91 and most of 95 until the recent additives the non majors were adding that have unknown effects on vehicle maintenance (especially seals).
Yep. This was a while ago too. And 98 specific as well.

I watched a documentary on J D Rockefeller last night. The initial key to his insane success and fortune was creating a high “standard” of refining of crude oil for kerosine use.

You could have helped him back in the day and cashed in maybe !

That's what I always understood from the smarter guys than me in the industry :LOL: The govt standards are high for all of them, you pretty much can't tell which is which. The only thing is really the pricing at the bowser. By the way, them pie face servo's, United? :unsure: Damn like 30 cents cheaper than the ones across the road! o_O

The last I remember it was four refineries left in Australia, Caltex in Brisbane, Mobil in Melbourne, Shell/Viva in Geelong and BP in Perth.
I was involved in the Clyde and Kurnell decommissionings, been to Caltex in Brisbane, Shell/Viva in Geelong as well :giggle:

I just went to the Shell and worked it out V...Power!!...I'm a bit late man!! :ROFLMAO:

Geez the NFL thread has gone to the dogs.

Taken over by petrol sniffing baseball fans ??

What a sad, sorry state of affairs this is !
Hey Flopsy, NFL is back baby ;)
The Combine is on this week from tomorrow, watch RIch Eisen run!! :eyes
It's at Lucas OIL Stadium ;) :LOL:

See Wentz got released from the Commanders :p

That's what I always understood from the smarter guys than me in the industry :LOL: The govt standards are high for all of them, you pretty much can't tell which is which. The only thing is really the pricing at the bowser. By the way, them pie face servo's, United? :unsure: Damn like 30 cents cheaper than the ones across the road! o_O

The last I remember it was four refineries left in Australia, Caltex in Brisbane, Mobil in Melbourne, Shell/Viva in Geelong and BP in Perth.
I was involved in the Clyde and Kurnell decommissionings, been to Caltex in Brisbane, Shell/Viva in Geelong as well :giggle:
Well I was the tech manager at Altona which has shut recently and bp shut recently too. Also refining nz closed recently and they (nz) have food grade co2 supply issues to put bubbles in their beer now. Who knew closing a refinery could mean no or expensive beer eh?

Apologies for destroying the nfl thread.

Clear why I’m a Texans supporter though with my oilers roots. (Plus lived / worked in Houston at ExxonMobil Baytown refinery)

United are interesting. No refinery. Some terminal assets and mainly retail. Not sure how well their franchisees do. Everyone I know who has worked there hates the culture and hasn’t lasted a year. https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100195932

Last edited:
  • Wow