NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Chicago is also a great city esp for sports.
Yeah but none of their sporting teams that really interest me and that I'd want to watch man :LOL:

49ers, Keltics, Yankees, hmmmm, maybe Stef if he's ever fit while in SF for a Niners game, guess the Giants in baseball would be good too :eyes
But the rest nah I'll pass on them, seen them two Cowboys SB wins live and that made me sick enough watching other teams success!! :sick:

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Yeah but none of their sporting teams that really interest me and that I'd want to watch man :LOL:

49ers, Keltics, Yankees, hmmmm, maybe Stef if he's ever fit while in SF for a Niners game, guess the Giants in baseball would be good too :eyes
But the rest nah I'll pass on them, seen them two Cowboys SB wins live and that made me sick enough watching other teams success!! :sick:

Bit unfair on Chicago Riceman.

Never undersell the Chicago Bliss, now there’s a team we should all be able to get behind…….

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
And now we reach that time of year in the NFL where we hear all this super-hype about every potential first round college quarterback in the country.

Despite all their resources and endless dissection and analysis, do NFL teams and the media over there really know what they’re doing when it comes to drafting quarterbacks ? A lot of people complain about the accuracy of AFL teams when selecting first rounders, but I reckon we’re light years ahead v Americans making successful first round quarterback selections - the most important position on the team by a mile.

Go and have a look at the quarterback history of number 2 draft picks. Despite all the massive hype and wraps by all and sundry, teams moving up to select some of them etc etc it’s a train wreck history ! Add to the fact that over the years you’ve had a bunch of the best quarterbacks taken late in the Draft, then you have to ask yourself do they really know what they’re doing over there when drafting quarterbacks ?

I have this personal opinion that in typical American fashion they over analyse, get too technical, believe their own hype and yet miss the corners of genuine insight.

Tom Brady. Pick 199. Rodgers 24. Hurts 53. And on it goes. Yeah sure they have a few early pick hits eg Burrow, Herbert etc but geez….the overall results over the years look like a lottery. And you don’t want to be picking on that basis !

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
And now we reach that time of year in the NFL where we hear all this super-hype about every potential first round college quarterback in the country.

Despite all their resources and endless dissection and analysis, do NFL teams and the media over there really know what they’re doing when it comes to drafting quarterbacks ? A lot of people complain about the accuracy of AFL teams when selecting first rounders, but I reckon we’re light years ahead v Americans making successful first round quarterback selections - the most important position on the team by a mile.

Go and have a look at the quarterback history of number 2 draft picks. Despite all the massive hype and wraps by all and sundry, teams moving up to select some of them etc etc it’s a train wreck history ! Add to the fact that over the years you’ve had a bunch of the best quarterbacks taken late in the Draft, then you have to ask yourself do they really know what they’re doing over there when drafting quarterbacks ?

I have this personal opinion that in typical American fashion they over analyse, get too technical, believe their own hype and yet miss the corners of genuine insight.

Tom Brady. Pick 199. Rodgers 24. Hurts 53. And on it goes. Yeah sure they have a few early pick hits eg Burrow, Herbert etc but geez….the overall results over the years look like a lottery. And you don’t want to be picking on that basis !
Is it anything to do with High School/College games being played so differently to the NFL?

Or is it until they are part of a proper program and behind a good O-line it's difficult to compare?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Is it anything to do with High School/College games being played so differently to the NFL?

Or is it until they are part of a proper program and behind a good O-line it's difficult to compare?
The latter I reckon. Think of the even bigger difference between U/18 football and the AFL yet the AFL doesn’t f it up to the degree and regularity the NFL does.

The Americans typically get infatuated with something or someone, pump and hype the *smile* out of them, and that’s how they roll. They love the big time winning quarterbacks from big college programs but the reality is that these quarterbacks are most often playing behind the best o lines and wide receivers in the country. Ok they’re also playing against some good teams, but 80% of their games are against soft targets.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Geez what a day of sports.

Right now I’m watching my number 1 ranked Bruins bash the Sabres up. Then I’ve got the 1st round of the Arnold Palmer to watch. Then there’s the cricket. NZ Golf Open anyone ? On live right now. LPGA live from Singapore right now ? Then there’s 3 games of AFL to watch tonight. Then I’ve got the first round of the F1 season live from Bahrain. And if all of that wasn’t too much, I’ve also got the races tonight from Pakenham.

And to think, Season of Redford 2023 doesn’t officially start until 16 March ! Wow.

• Haha
  • Love

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Would love to play that NZ Open course. Looks a ripper.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Geez what a day of sports.

Right now I’m watching my number 1 ranked Bruins bash the Sabres up. Then I’ve got the 1st round of the Arnold Palmer to watch. Then there’s the cricket. NZ Golf Open anyone ? On live right now. LPGA live from Singapore right now ? Then there’s 3 games of AFL to watch tonight. Then I’ve got the first round of the F1 season live from Bahrain. And if all of that wasn’t too much, I’ve also got the races tonight from Pakenham.

And to think, Season of Redford 2023 doesn’t officially start until 16 March ! Wow.
Pick the odd one out!

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

They like us get more excited with the players measurables rather than their ability to play the sport - look how fast he runs, how high he jumps, how far he can throw, how much he can bench!! But how about 'Can he play the game?" :unsure:

Look at this Anthony Richardson at the Combine - record performances for a QB in the vertical jump, the broad jump, fastest QB run in 10 years, caps it off with a back flip!!

But his playing ability - 53.8% Completion Percentage, 105th out of 113 FBS Qb's, and just 13 starts. Picked by Mel Kiper to go to Seattle with pick 9 :censored:

Just watch his game tape and it tells you all you need to know. Still makes me sick our guys jumped up to get Trey Lance with pick 3 man, absolutely stupid decision!! :cautious:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

Over 100 FBS colleges, over 100 FCS colleges, all allowed to have 105 'active' players on the roster.

So that puts the number at around 20,000+ players on the college rosters, right.

The QB in a top team (Alabama, Clemson, etc) is let's say competing (as his teammate is on the opposite of the ball - OL v DL), against some teams who have players who could be the 10,000th, the 15,000, the 18,000 or 20,000th best player in college football, if you ranked them all on their abilities.

So that QB who had it so easy against another college team gets drafted to the NFL who have 1,500-1,600 registered players in the whole NFL.

He's not playing no more against anyone worse than at least the top 2,000 players in the game, give or take the 300-400 at the bottom end of the rosters going on and off the roster during training camps or injuries during the season.

So it's at least 10 times harder to be a success in the NFL than college football, particularly QB's which is the toughest position to play.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Are the Saints tanking for the USC QB Caleb Williams next year?

Best QB prospect in a long time according to the scouts so expecting a tankathon from the bottom 4 or 5 teams next year.
U get Carr, I don't think your tanking, and he has a lot to prove himself.

The argument for him is he has never had a defence ranked better than 19th in his 8 years.

Now he gets to play with a New Orleans Saints defence ranked fifth in total defense. Second best for passing yards conceded per game.

So now he has a chance to rewrite his story if it's been mostly the defence he has had at the Raiders or if it's mostly him :unsure:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
U get Carr, I don't think your tanking, and he has a lot to prove himself.

The argument for him is he has never had a defence ranked better than 19th in his 8 years.

Now he gets to play with a New Orleans Saints defence ranked fifth in total defense. Second best for passing yards conceded per game.

So now he has a chance to rewrite his story if it's been mostly the defence he has had at the Raiders or if it's mostly him :unsure:
Plus, the Bucs won their division with a pathetic 8-9 losing record so they only need a marginal improvement at QB to improve enough to win their div being at 7-10 themselves…..and Carr should bring a bit more than marginal improvement over the QB spuds they used this year.

Last edited:
  • Haha