Nick Stevens... under pressure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nick Stevens... under pressure

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Having seen a few instances in the finals series where it was imperative that Stevens put his body on the line, he shirked the issue, and chose to tap the ball etc.

IMO this isnt the type of guy we need for us to go forward. Much better instead to target Luke Power originally I would have had Stevens as 2nd target behind Brown and Power 3rd. Now however, I would say that Power should be slightly ahead of Brown and Stevens can go elsewhere. To my way of thinking he is like a player that we love to hate except that he hits targets more regularly. But in terms of the hardness factor maybe they are quite similar.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No surprises there Big Dog. Stevens is as soft as they come and I can not understand for the life of me why a) RFC would consider him (well, I can because they are a bunch of incompetents) and b) why other people on PRE would like to have him either.

We need a combination of toughness and skill. Not one or the other.

Ditto for Brown.

Neither of these players are what we need.

Bartel I can understand going after, but not weak bodied receivers like those two.

As if we haven't had enough of those.... geez.

Mistakes. Excuses. Forever.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Redford,
I agree, I dunno what came over me. Stevens is the kind of player who looks good in a fast skillful side, you are right, he's not someone we'd want. We'd give up an early pick to get him too, more of the same. I saw those tap-ons as well. Power on the other hand is a top player with a lot of heart who I'd love to get, (even though he's only 1 of a hundred rumoured targets) but again we shouldn't give up too much to try and get him, or anyone good. I never wanted Brown, he'd be Terry Keays all over again (maybe not that bad).

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
If, as Greg Miller says, the club is targeting an 'Inside mid-fielder', then Stevens can't be a credible target.
I still have reservations about Power, is he that good?, or is he assisted by Akermanis, Black, Lappin, & Voss and made to look better than he is. These 4 would attract attention, and he may have slipped under clubs guards this year. If he came to Richmond, without 4 quality guys in front of him, he would attract more opposition attention, and may be found out.
Interested in other peoples thoughts.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Big W,

Yep good point, but if he was at Richmond we've still got Cogs and Johnson, so hypothetically he'd only be No 3 in the line. That is if you'd rate Cogs and Johnson as better midfielders.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
bigwow,
Although this is all pointless talk 'cos we probably won't get him, I can tell you unequivocally that Luke Power is a dead set goer. He's just outside the fab four in profile, but you often see him still going into packs and kicking an important goal when those four are down. The thing about the whole 5 of them though, is that they all go in hard. Even Acker, although not as much. If Voss, Black or Power, are at a stoppage, he'll sit back and let them get the ball out to him, if they're not around, he'll go in hard. Same goes for Lappin. That's why they've got 2 flags and are going for a third. I'd bloody love to get Power.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
bigwow said:
I still have reservations about Power, is he that good?, or is he assisted by Akermanis, Black, Lappin, & Voss and made to look better than he is. These 4 would attract attention, and he may have slipped under clubs guards this year. If he came to Richmond, without 4 quality guys in front of him, he would attract more opposition attention, and may be found out.
Interested in other peoples thoughts.

Exactly what happened to Kayne Johnson this year. He became the No 1 target instead of 4th or 5th and was found wanting, especially in big games. There is also the issue of motivation especially after 2 premierships.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Bit harsh on Johnson TF - will be in our top 3 B & F I would think, even with the extra attention from taggers. And isn't that all the more reason to go after someone like Power - to spread the load and create problems for opposition midfields?
The motivation factor is a good point, but the upside of that is also that he's played in premiership teams. We could do with a bit of that winning culture around the place.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Stevens had never struck me as a receiver, but if he is, forget him. Even after Joeline's gone we've enough of those.
Definetely a hard nut required to help Cogs & Jonno, although I suspect Power's price tag will be too high.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
D3, agree, Kane Johnson & Coughlan will most likely quinella the B & F.
No question Power has class, and RFC definitely needs an injection of class.
But like TS said, it's all hypothetical as the price would be too high. Can't give-up pick 6, MUST use this on a quality kid like Tenace or Sylvia.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Agreed BW, sorry if I sound like a stuck record, the drafting good young blokes has got to be the focus.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
Bit harsh on Johnson TF - will be in our top 3 B & F I would think, even with the extra attention from taggers.
harsh but fair, Johnson was found wanting in big games, didn't provide enough leadership and was shown up by Coughlan ( a 40 odd game veteran ) in every aspect of the game. Johnson was brought to the club to provide leadership and have an immediate impact on the midfield, Richmond should expect alot more from him next year.

And isn't that all the more reason to go after someone like Power - to spread the load and create problems for opposition midfields?
Recruiting a player like Power will require a first round draft pick and a player/draft pick. This does nothing to improve depth and we'll still be stuck in the middle rungs of the ladder. Someone like Power may come into the side but will probably only replace the output of Campbell who at 32 is in decline (after and exceptional career). Still only 3 good midfielders, the same as the last 10 years!

The motivation factor is a good point, but the upside of that is also that he's played in premiership teams. We could do with a bit of that winning culture around the place.

2 words, Justin Blumfield!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Well, basically I agree TF, especially about the improvement of depth. I'm the first to advocate going after the youngsters. But you never know, if we traded a Bowden or Richo for a top 10 pick (??) then we may be able to do both - draft a good youngster or four and go after a more experienced player for immediate impact.
And you may be right about Johnson this season but I can only see that as an argument for adding class to the midfield to make us harder to match up. Obviously opposition coaches saw Johnson as the main midfielder to be tagged...maybe Coughlan benefitted from that a few times...once again showing the benefit of immediate depth in the midfield.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Because of the lack of depth in our midfield, i think Johnson was kept on the park with dicky hammies when really he should have been rested.

When he did get a week off, he came back with some real good games.

I don't think in and under players are as suspect to opposition tagging as players that fit more of an outrider role. Johnson's season with us was comparable to his form for the Crows.

I don't think Luke Power is soft, but he's not an in and under type like Johnson or Cogs. His best assets are seen when he's in space, and there's nothing wrong with that but we'd have to be mindfull of how he'd go in OUR side, considering the expense of getting him here.

On Kane johnson, I liked his first season for us, though i'd rate him as a few shades off being polished in the 'skills' dept. Power's skills are silky, which we do lack, so there's a bit to weigh up.

Des Headlands soon came back to the pack once he was out of the Brissie side.

If it looks like i'm taking an each way punt on Power, yup - maybe i am!