Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Balta equal first in comp for avg intercept marks and the equal 2nd best key defender for contested marks. He’s really not going that badly. Makes a few dumb mistakes and probably losing a couple too many one on ones per game but otherwise he’s been quite good. The ball is coming in hot and fast and plenty of times per game. Swans game blew out because we rolled the dice to try to win. Before that, 2nd for points against in the comp. Friday night he had 20 disposals at 80%, 10 intercepts and 3 contested marks
IMG_0115.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
People are talking about lack of smarts.....at least in defence he can follow a person to the ball, or chase a forward.
He doesn't have the nous to be an AFL forward. He definitely has the athleticism, but not the smarts. We proved that last year I thought.

I think there is an enormous amount of over-analysis of his game which creates a narrative about him that isn't correct.

He equalled the most intercept marks ever taken the other week, so there isn't too much wrong with his smarts or the way he reads the game.

People also talk like his venture forward was a disaster when he kicked 8 goals in three games last year to start the season.

I'd reverse your argument and say it's true defence is easier and it is therefore easier to find defenders, so if you have a bloke with a glimmer of hope as a forward you need to see what it can become.

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe we will start calling those Alex Rance moments, Noah Balta moments.

He does a lot right, and I love the way he tries to take the game on from defence, he uses that athleticism offensively which is great but he does come up with some massive howlers. If he gets them out of his game, then he will be 1 of the best defenders in the comp.

Reactions: 1 user
My concern is, he's not smart where he leads to the ball. So instead of one on one contests, he'll take his defender to a contest that disadvantages himself.
Alternatively instead of creating space for our other key forward, he takes himself and his defender with him.
Imagine him coming up against a smart fwd.

I have, and a smart defender.
He's going to win more defensive contests than offensive ones. I think our coaching staff have come to that conclusion too

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe we will start calling those Alex Rance moments, Noah Balta moments.

He does a lot right, and I love the way he tries to take the game on from defence, he uses that athleticism offensively which is great but he does come up with some massive howlers. If he gets them out of his game, then he will be 1 of the best defenders in the comp.
Balta's errors are very reminiscent of Rance's early on in his career. Missed punches, poor positioning/reading the flight, & decision making by foot. Hopefully he can iron these out and emulate Rance more so in a positive light

Reactions: 1 users

I don't understand these types of comments.

Where does this perception Balta is not a smart player or a reader of the game come from?

He is second in the AFL for intercept marks, level with people like Sam Taylor, Jake Lever, Jeremy McGovern and ahead of Jake Lever, Weitering and Sicily.

Reckon most people would have all of them in the best readers of the game in the backline and yet there's a perception Balta is dumb? Do people think he is just so lucky that the opposition lead him to the ball all the time, despite knowing he is our best intercept option?

Reactions: 8 users
Wasn’t great Friday but has been great 3 out of 5 games this season. Balta is not our problem.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand these types of comments.

Where does this perception Balta is not a smart player or a reader of the game come from?

He is second in the AFL for intercept marks, level with people like Sam Taylor, Jake Lever, Jeremy McGovern and ahead of Jake Lever, Weitering and Sicily.

Reckon most people would have all of them in the best readers of the game in the backline and yet there's a perception Balta is dumb? Do people think he is just so lucky that the opposition lead him to the ball all the time, despite knowing he is our best intercept option?
On the back of an outstanding game against a 50yr old Tex.
Give me a break.
Watch carefully.Time and time again he gets out positioned.

His best is truly elite down back but his worst is rock bottom. Close the gap between the two and you have a serious talent.

Buckle up, and enjoy the ride. Believe the contract extension isn't far away.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be playing him first ruck this week. Run, man, run.
I really don't want him to change position again. Our backline needs to settle.

But...

Yeah.

We're going to lose out in the ruck this week. We just are. So, let's make it a point of difference. Miller goes back, Balta plays first ruck. In the centre, he just plays as a big midfielder. Throw yourself in. Hassle. Tackle. Drive the ball forward.

Around the ground he nullifies a big man in the air, and sprints away from them at ground level.

Why the *smile* not? This game is a free hit.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't want him to change position again. Our backline needs to settle.

But...

Yeah.

We're going to lose out in the ruck this week. We just are. So, let's make it a point of difference. Miller goes back, Balta plays first ruck. In the centre, he just plays as a big midfielder. Throw yourself in. Hassle. Tackle. Drive the ball forward.

Around the ground he nullifies a big man in the air, and sprints away from them at ground level.

Why the *smile* not? This game is a free hit.
Precisely. Get him around the ball. He can follow up like Nank at the fall except he can punt it to the goal square off either foot. And maybe he breaks Oliver's ribs.

Noah's ball use out of defence is always a bit dicey. Miller is an excellent user and decision-maker.