Not good enough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Not good enough

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Even if we try our upmost (which we did tonight) we can not win the big games when we play the Frawely style of play. Plan A B C and D is bomb it long to a contest. Frawely realises that we are too Richo conscious but cannot implement an alternative game plan. Its not a matter of a weak effort or the players not trying hard enough - the players put everything into it tonight. There is no system of play where effort can be rewarded.

Solution - new coach and new, modern game plan - Simple.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
So Harry, As I unfortunately (or Fortunately) didn't get to see the game last night, If you were coach what would you have done to at least keep it a closer contest?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Its not a matter of what moves or match ups a coach would have done on the night, its a matter of how we play. Rosy put it perfectly in another thread where she said we had 18 players on the ground and NO team. Its the way we play the game that lets us down. There definately isn't enough support for the player with the ball - there is a severe lack of moving handball options for the player with the ball which creates situations where the player with the ball has to kick long to contests. This isn't about moves on match day because with this style of play you've already lost the big games even before you go out to the park. A change of style is desperately needed and this can only be implemented and refined on the training track and by a decent coach who knows where we are going wrong. It is so obvious week in week out yet nothing is been done about it. This is our main weakness and I'll go on about it until I'm blue in the face.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Bravo Harry, its comforting to know that their are such well informed and knowledgable supporters amongst the Richmond faithfull. ;D

Harry and rosy are spot on. We simply do not play as a team. I'd love to see our shepard count because IMO we never seem to protect the player with the ball especially at clearances. Brisbane at one stage had 11 straight clearances. So much for our new improved midfield.

Even at the best of times under frawley we have never played very attacking football and last night was no exception. How can you honestly expect to beat Brisbane or any other half decent side when you only kick 9 goals in ideal conditions??

If Frawley wants to save his career he has got to free the players up and get them to play more attacking and free flowing footy. But I honestly cannot see him doing that.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Our forward thrusts are very rarely continous where there is link up play and momentum is contained. We always hit a brick wall and a long kick to contests becomes the order of the day. A player gets the ball and it appears he's playing on his own and unless he takes on the opposition on his own he has no choice but to kick long. A lack of hard running from behind the play in order to create lateral handballing options is one aspect where we are the worst in the league in. Brisbane constantly did this last night - mind you Brisbane were severly off their game last night and we couldn't have played any better IMO.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Unfortunately didn't get to see any of the game, but our lack of scoreboard pressure given our dominance in the first quarter is a concern.

The Lions didn't even get their first goal until about the 20 minute mark and went into the break 1 point down.

We should have been about 7 goals up at this stage.

We seem to continually let teams back into the contest within the last 5 minutes of a quarter. Would love to know our stats on this.

Our opening must have shown some flair but what happened after that????????

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
It comes down to years of stop gap recruiting even of the feild look what they bought into the club

Leowe: Wooden Spooner and mate of the coach
Brittan: Wooden Spooner
Miller: CEO of the hammerheads

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Trust me Gus - our opening was far from having any flair - it was scraggy, tight, hard at it, intense BUT no flair, run, momentum, exciting play. The facts are that you cannot maintain that level of intensity for too long and when the level drops footy smarts and a proper game plan/style of play comes into the equation.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I haven't seen the game on TV. I will try and watch it sometime this week.

But I will say, being there at the Gabba, the first quarter in particular the first 20 minutes - it was a very fast game. Now maybe it didn't show on the TV but they certainly were running in numbers from the back half and at the end of the first quarter we should have been at least 3 goals in front. Costly turnovers and skill errors cost us those 3 Bris goals in 5-10 minutes.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
The worst thing for me was we were definately switched on last night from the bounce - the games pace was electric (even on TV KL) and after a fairly bright opening to the match, it confirmed that at our best we are no where near an 'average' Brisbane side.

I just hope not too many other clubs' coaches were watching - reason being Bowden's trade value may have taken a spiral dive as a result.