NRL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NRL

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I like the game and have followed it for 40 odd years, not as closely since Super League😡
Vegas was a good marketing ploy, they sure do need it, because when they get back to Australia they’ll be playing in front of 10,000 people at Leichhardt, Belmore and Brookvale etc.
I'd like to go watch a game at Leichardt lovely boutique traditional ground.

Home of Balmain Ryde Tigers.

Campbelltown not so much :mhihi

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'd like to go watch a game at Leichardt lovely boutique traditional ground.

Home of Balmain Ryde Tigers.

Campbelltown not so much :mhihi
Yeah, I’m a Balmain tragic. They’ve really tested me over the years. Sacking Madge McGuire a couple of years back was almost the last straw. I was very temped to start following the Redcliffe Dolphins.
A good neck of the woods is Redcliffe.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just watched a bit of that Vegas game. Geepers. Seemed like a decent crowd.

Can they capitalise on that, is the question.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Just watched a bit of that Vegas game. Geepers. Seemed like a decent crowd.

Can they capitalise on that, is the question.

Hard to say what there really is to capitalise on.

Huge number of Aussies flew over for the game, and this whole event has been hyped to the absolute max.

But you’d have to admit, if the substance isn’t there, the NRL have done a hell of a job putting a veneer over it.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Huge number of Aussies flew over for the game, and this whole event has been hyped to the absolute max.

But you’d have to admit, if the substance isn’t there, the NRL have done a hell of a job putting a veneer over it.
Well, I suppose US tv ratings will provide a clearer picture.

Rugba V’landys reckons they’re committed to at least another 3 years there.

They did a better job of it than any AFL attempts in the US, that’s for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Well, I suppose US tv ratings will provide a clearer picture.

Rugba V’landys reckons they’re committed to at least another 3 years there.

They did a better job of it than any AFL attempts in the US, that’s for sure.
They are trying to get into bed with the broadcast/betting companies - if they can make it a gambling target in the US they could reap huge dollars. Ultimately they are not about getting people to the game, it's never been a big attendance sport and always been a big TV game here.

Personally I think their game is getting better to watch. It's getting the balance between speed/skill/aggression right. Great athletes, great skills (they kick it so much better than they ever did) and entertaining commentary.

They are way ahead of the AFL in trying new things. Far less secertive about stuff like rule changes. They still get stuff wrong - the bunker/review system still makes errors - but Vlandys has the golden touch.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I like the game and have followed it for 40 odd years, not as closely since Super League😡
Vegas was a good marketing ploy, they sure do need it, because when they get back to Australia they’ll be playing in front of 10,000 people at Leichhardt, Belmore and Brookvale etc.
They've never drawn big attendances. It's just not what sydneysiders do. But they get big TV ratings.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They are trying to get into bed with the broadcast/betting companies - if they can make it a gambling target in the US they could reap huge dollars. Ultimately they are not about getting people to the game, it's never been a big attendance sport and always been a big TV game here.

Personally I think their game is getting better to watch. It's getting the balance between speed/skill/aggression right. Great athletes, great skills (they kick it so much better than they ever did) and entertaining commentary.

They are way ahead of the AFL in trying new things. Far less secertive about stuff like rule changes. They still get stuff wrong - the bunker/review system still makes errors - but Vlandys has the golden touch.
Yeah. They get big tv numbers. And they’re not as clandestine as the AFL as you say. Still think the AFL has broader penetration (now there’s a door opening for a quip or two) and NRL still has a bogan schtick to it and all the politically incorrect baggage that comes with it (that Manly LGBT thing was disgraceful quite frankly), but yeah. If I was Dillon I’d be more worried about NRL’s growth and subsequent threat to the AFL than soccer - the great 50 year “gonna be’s”.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Saw V'Landys interviewed prior to the game..... basically the real focus is the punting dollar and to drive the yanks towards the WatchNRL app. Regardless of what people think of the game itself, not a bad strategy I reckon.
I do wonder how many real paying customers were there though? Maybe a touch of the early Brisbane Bears days when you got half a dozen freebies with a big mac...... even if you didn't want them!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yet we keep hearing about the massive growth of AFL at the grassroots in the traditional Rugby League states, particularly Qld & the success of the Academies.

Who'd honestly know what was going on. Both Leagues love to shout their data sheets & success from the rooftops.

That said the Vegas experiment was very well done.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They've never drawn big attendances. It's just not what sydneysiders do. But they get big TV ratings.
Yes that's true, the AFL have well and truly got a foot hold in NSW and Queensland, and that's why Vladimir has gone to the states, he's chasing money.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yes that's true, the AFL have well and truly got a foot hold in NSW and Queensland, and that's why Vladimir has gone to the states, he's chasing money.
Yeah the AFL has been better at growing their game at junior level than Rugba League.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
In NY and the East coast I think it started at 11pm. In LA and west coast it was 8pm start.

I don't think they expected massive ratings. They have a long term plan, I don't doubt they will do better next time.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Whatever successes the NRL had managed to obtain the alleged "racist remark" just sunk the whole week.

Rather talking up the successes and also the remainder of the Round 1 fixtures back home this week, the media have all been squawking nonstop over the allegations.

I know its all about the US network and viewership but it still ended a showcase with a clusterf!@#

NRL just cannot seem to negotiate the off season abyss or season kick off without incident.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Great win by the Storm.

Did everything they could to invite the Pathers over the line in that last 10 minutes handed the ball over for 5 consecutive sets with simple handling errors.

Ref as usual gave them a bit of a helping hand a couple of times as always seems to be the case with Penrith.

I tipped the Panthers but geez I'm glad the Storm beat them arrogant wankers.

Favourites have lost every game so far.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Parramatta the only favored team to get a win the entire round apart from them was won by the outsiders.

Early rounds of NRL are horrendous for tipping/

Go with your instincts and reason then tip the other side.