O'Connor to Coburg? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

O'Connor to Coburg?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I read the following on onslaughts VFL Footy news site. It's well worth bookmarking.

Ryan O'Connor signs with Coburg

Tige19 reports that in a massive recruiting coup, the Coburg Tigers have signed Ryan O'Connor for season 2004.

O'Connor was also in close negotiations with Springvale.

In further 'burgers news, Leigh Carlson has signed on as a Tiger with Dean Talbot and Garth Taylor for the upcoming VFL season.

http://vflfooty.dyndns.org/

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Coburg coup!
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
6 February, 2004

Richmond's VFL affiliate club, the Coburg Tigers have pulled off a recruiting coup by signing former Essendon and Sydney Swans strongman Ryan O'Connor for the 2004 season.

O'Connor, 29, played 87 AFL games from 1994-2000, before joining SANFL club the Port Adelaide Magpies in 2001, and winning the competition's Best and Fairest award, the Magarey Medal, in his debut year. He left Port at the end of the 2002 season and moved to rival SANFL club North Adelaide in 2003.

Coburg Tigers coach, David Flood, was a teammate of O'Connor's at Windy Hill and is delighted to have secured his services for the upcoming season.

"I'm rapt that we've picked up a player of Ryan's calibre," Flood said.

"We've been after an experienced big bloke to help out with all the young, developing players we've got on our list, as well as those from Richmond who'll play here.

"He'll certainly give us a bit of presence out on the ground, and he'll do some teaching with the younger players too, so I really think he's going to be great.

"I've told Ryan that I'm not expecting him to win our Best and Fairest or anything like that, I just want him to be our best team man, and he's keen to do that. He's going to take a lot of pressure off our more senior players . . ."

In further positive news from the Coburg Tigers den, two former league players have been appointed assistant coaches at the club.

Ex-Fitzroy rover Jimmy Wynd and former Geelong and Collingwood utility player, Carl Steinfort, will assist David Flood, along with Coburg legend Vin Taranto.

Wynd, 39, played 137 games with Fitzroy from 1986-94, while Steinfort's last game of AFL football was for Collingwood in the 2002 Grand Final against Brisbane. He quit the Magpies after that and played amateur football last year.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=132646