"older" but young at heart | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

"older" but young at heart

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Possibly the oldest on this site. Early seventies, but still act and look a lot younger...well I think so anyway.

Been a Tiger supporter since 6 years of age, and a member for most of those years...currently silver due to a bit of a break whilst living in NSW with my terminally ill wife.

Have 5 kids, all Richmond through and through. My son and I have seats at the G and the Dome.

All my life been keen on playing sport, cricket and footy...but not all that good...tennis, played A grade, coached for 3 or 4 years, even got to play once with Frank Sedgeman, and played once against Hoad and Rosewall socially. Currently have a golf handicap of 14, and got as low as 10 in NSW. Learned Karate for a few years, table tennis, and now also play lawn bowls as well as golf. Guess this is what has kept me fit. Went to Melbourne Boys High School...great school...and finally retired in 1990. Love reading, especially spy and adventure books.

Fit or not, I do NOT enjoy being a widower, but PRE helps keep me entertained. One day may meet another "soul mate", who hopefully will be a keen Tiger person.

Having re-read this must admit it sounds pretty much self indulgent, but heh, that's me I guess.

Love reading all the posts, except the abusive ones, and even though I have never met anyone from this board feel most are my surrogate friends. Have great respect for Rosy, who must be a very warm and friendly lady.

Thanks to those who read this uninteresting post, and may the Force be with You.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Have always enjoyed reading your posts Graystar, guessed from your more measured language you were one of our more "experienced" members ;).
Think we need a cross section of age groups here, sometimes things can go a little haywire otherwise.
Fancy playing against and with those tennis greats! Have you read the current thread that's taking Lleyton to task?
Self indulgent? Nah!

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Anduril said:
Have always enjoyed reading your posts Graystar, guessed from your more measured language you were one of our more "experienced" members ;).
Think we need a cross section of age groups here, sometimes things can go a little haywire otherwise.
Fancy playing against and with those tennis greats! Have you read the current thread that's taking Lleyton to task?
Self indulgent? Nah!

Thank you Anduril. Have wondered sometimes what the meaning of your name is?? Does not require an answer. Yes, I have now read that thread on Hewitt, and suffice to say my views differ from yours. Won't make any further comment here as it is not the appropriate thread. Some times it's good, other times not so good to be one of the "experienced" members.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Anduril is elvish for "Flame of the West". It's the name given to the reforged sword carried by Aragorn (king to be) in The Lord Of the Rings.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Really enjoyable post GrayStar. Must have missed the self-indulgent bit.

Sedgeman, Rosewall and Hoad must ahev been quite a buzz. You know, if you could meet one of them again, you might just kick the sheisenhausen out of him. ;D

Sorry about the soul mate loss, m8. On the topic of another, are you shaking your groove thing on the greens? ;D Be careful which direction. ;D

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Anduril said:
Anduril is elvish for "Flame of the West". It's the name given to the reforged sword carried by Aragorn (king to be) in The Lord Of the Rings.

How stupid can I get?? Having read all Tolkien's books...The Hobbit and three following, plus having seen all movies, plus having the three on DVD for my home theatre system, I should have known. Well, I remember the scene where the sword is re-forged. Fantastic books and movies. The movies did leave out quite a bit from the books though. Thank you Anduril, you are the "Flame of the West."

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Dyer'ere said:
Really enjoyable post GrayStar. Must have missed the self-indulgent bit.

Sedgeman, Rosewall and Hoad must ahev been quite a buzz. You know, if you could meet one of them again, you might just kick the sheisenhausen out of him. ;D

Sorry about the soul mate loss, m8. On the topic of another, are you shaking your groove thing on the greens?  ;D Be careful which direction.  ;D

Would have a bit of trouble with Hoad, as I think he is no longer part of this troubled world. Frank Sedgeman married Jean Spence, who lived just around the corner from me in Bentleigh, as did her sister Lorraine. Lovely girls and we all played tennis together. Jean's father, Arthur Spence, was pro at Yarra Yarra golf club for a long time.

Yep, have known to shake the groove now and again. Makes the ladies go wild with desire...I wish.

So much for the trivia.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Trivia about PREnders is great Gray. It's good to get to know people in our extended PREnd family better.
If only the other slackos would do a profile thread of their own before they check out of this board. ;D

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Am working up to it ;D

Graystar (Earendil?), LOTR on a home theatre system......   8))Am saving up for an LCD screen down the track.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
graystar1 said:
Frank Sedgeman married Jean Spence, who lived just around the corner from me in Bentleigh, as did her sister Lorraine. Lovely girls and we all played tennis together.

Sedgeman Senior had a Holden dealership in Centre Rd just one street away from me. Used to be in awe of Frank, Rosewall and Hoad.

Remember the fuss when Hoad was talked into turning pro? My dad was livid! Ha! And look what they're capable of earning now!

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Anduril said:
Am working up to it ;D

Graystar (Earendil?), LOTR on a home theatre system......  8)Am saving up for an LCD screen down the track.

I have an 82cm wide screen Loewe, which is just brilliant for colour and clarity. You are wise to go for a LCD, as my research shows they are, or are going to be, better than Plasma. Think that LCD will take over completely in time. IMHO the CRT sets still give the best pictures to date, especially in digital. Good luck, Anduril, you are going to have need of deep pockets.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Roar34 said:
graystar1 said:
Frank Sedgeman married Jean Spence, who lived just around the corner from me in Bentleigh, as did her sister Lorraine. Lovely girls and we all played tennis together.

Sedgeman Senior had a Holden dealership in Centre Rd just one street away from me.  Used to be in awe of Frank, Rosewall and Hoad.

Remember the fuss when Hoad was talked into turning pro?  My dad was livid!  Ha!  And look what they're capable of earning now!

Yes I do remember that era quite vividly. He earned peanuts as opposed today's mega millions. BTW, Roar, you must be an old Bentleighite as well. That time you speak of was the Jack Kramer era, and all hell broke loose over amateurs turning pro. Ken Mcgregor, Frank's doubles partner in Davis Cup also turned. As an aside, went to Warrnambool with Ken in his little Ford car, way back, to a tournament. Naturally, he won. Still have some photos of that trip. Ah, memories, memories!!

Wishiwazzaclohesy

Tiger Superstar
Aug 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
Trivia about PREnders is great Gray. It's good to get to know people in our extended PREnd family better.
If only the other slackos would do a profile thread of their own before they check out of this board. ;D

"Those in glass houses..."
Still looking for your introduction Aunt Rosy.... don't be afraid to lead from the front. :-[ :-* :-[

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
graystar1 said:
Yes I do remember that era quite vividly. He earned peanuts as opposed today's mega millions. BTW, Roar, you must be an old Bentleighite as well. That time you speak of was the Jack Kramer era, and all hell broke loose over amateurs turning pro. Ken Mcgregor, Frank's doubles partner in Davis Cup also turned. As an aside, went to Warrnambool with Ken in his little Ford car, way back, to a tournament. Naturally, he won. Still have some photos of that trip. Ah, memories, memories!!

Yep, as I said my Dad was livid. As you'll recall a player couldn't play Davis Cup if they turned pro.

I suppose the nearest thing to the effect it had then, was the so-called rebel cricket tour.

Yes, I'm an ex-pat Bentleighite. Born in Ormond, raised in Bentleigh, moved all the way to Ferntree Gully for 2 years, came back and lived in McKinnon from 73-88, when I took early retirement and moved up to Castlemaine.

I remember a Sunday market began in the car park at the railway station. Then Benn's Books opened, and supplied coffee to the browsers, and - I think - the fruit shop was next to begin Sunday mornings, and a deli and a French Bakehouse and it just escalated. Used to love wandering around the market, then a coffee and a browse at the latest books then croissants for morning tea! ;D

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Yes, I'm an ex-pat Bentleighite. Born in Ormond, raised in Bentleigh, moved all the way to Ferntree Gully for 2 years, came back and lived in McKinnon from 73-88, when I took early retirement and moved up to Castlemaine.

This is not the appropriate thread to discuss old times, but must mention Roar, that my grandmother lived in Malane St., Ormond, an Auntie and Uncle (Tiger man) lived in Fraser Street. Also my Dad's sister and her husband lived ina nearby street...forget the name...about 2 or 3 streets west of Fraser. At one stage I was a member of the Ormond tennis club. Suppose if we are to relive old times we had better find another spot!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
This is a getting to know each other board Gray so it's fine to discuss your life experiences here.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
rosy23 said:
This is a getting to know each other board Gray so it's fine to discuss your life experiences here.

Thanks Rosy.

Anduril, did you read The Hobbit first?? Glad I did as the finding of the ring by Bilbo from Gollum in the cave, sort of set the scene for Fellowship of the Ring.

Roar, re Fraser Street Ormond. My aunt and uncle, had this gi-normous plum tree. Mum used to make me ride my bike from Bentleigh to get them, and it was always at a time when I wanted to be out kicking the footy with my mates. Even though a 6 footer, I still had to climg that bloody tree to get the plums under the watchful eye of my aunty. God, I hated the plum season!! My uncle though, was a manager at Peters Ice Cream, and a very keen tiger member. Together with him and my cousin, who incidentally ended up at thr Royal Melbourne as Director of Anaethesia, went to almost every game, especially at Punt Road.

As I may have said in an earlier thread the go in those days was to take an orange with you and hoe into it at 3\4 time as did the players. For some unknown reason I used to eat peel and all. No pollution then. After the game you were allowed onto the sacred turf to have a kick, with either a proper footy or a fake one made of tightly rolled newspaper.

Nuff for now, and thank you again Rosy for allowing experiences to be posted here, and to Anduril for her support.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Graystar
Yes, I did read the Hobbit first. I was a young trainee teacher on teaching round and the Librarian at the school suggested I read it. Hooked, line and sinker! From then on it was downhill all the way- I borrowed LOTR from the College library and after finishing it rushed out and bought a paperback copy to read it again more slowly so I could savour the story.
Since then I have read it every year and as Collen McCullough says it's an old friend. I suppose it was fitting that when I finished teaching I received a boxed set in hardback with Tolkien's original drawings on the cover from the staff.
So I sit in my study surrounded by books by or on The Prof and his works. In that case are also my favourite classics that I dip into occasionally. Next to it a bookcase with volumes on my favourite composers and singers.
I also have a bookcase full of books I haven't read yet, but I digress...

PS Was born and bred in Caulfield, not far from Bentleigh.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Anduril.

I also have a bookcase full of books I haven't read yet, but I digress...

PS Was born and bred in Caulfield, not far from Bentleigh.

You are obviously quite a bookworm. I love reading, but more into adventure cum spy type books. Also enjoy saga books, and am currently into Charleston by John Jakes.

Knew Caulfield quite well, as before going to MBHS, went to Tooronga Road Central school. Also my dear departed wife was an usherette at the Crystal Palace. Used to get me in for free and sit in the lounge, which was a big deal in those days.

Enjoy hearing of others life experiences, whether footy related or not. One of the joys of being a PREnder and Tiger member.