Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

Wow, 400m hurdle final, just wow - world record trashed.

DS
Just unbelievable. First two under Karsten's own WR from 3 weeks ago, first time under 46 sec and the time is equivalent to about 44.0 sec for a 400 flat! I used to do this event at club level and Vic champs but 45.94 is just insane. Getting the steps right between the hurdles is tough, you have to be a long strider. I'd be 7 sec behind him!

Wow, 400m hurdle final, just wow - world record trashed.

DS
Fancy smashing the existing world record by an incomprehensible amount and getting a silver. Even 3rd place was only 0.02 outside the world record. 999 races out of 1000 that 3rd place getter wins the race, let alone the silver medalist.

Reactions: 2 users
Fancy smashing the existing world record by an incomprehensible amount and getting a silver. Even 3rd place was only 0.02 outside the world record. 999 races out of 1000 that 3rd place getter wins the race, let alone the silver medalist.
Very similar to the 400m final in Mexico 1968. Larry James (US) broke his own WR of 44.10, that he set a month before, by running 43.97. But he came second to Lee Evans (US) who ran 43.86.

Reactions: 1 user

I heard them on the TV saying that 7 of the 8 runners broke either a world, region or country record in that race. It was pretty damned good!

Cycling is fun to watch, I ride a fair bit so like watching the cycling. The track cycling is fairly insane and this is apparently a quick track. World records are going all over the place.

The broken handlebars yesterday was ridiculous, I know a little about this as I remember breaking forks on a bike once when I was a kid, front wheel locked and over I went - sans helmet of course but that's the way it was back then in the good old days.

DS

Yeah, very close. Garside will be our first boxing medallist since Spike Cheney in 1988. I think he'll have to settle for bronze though, he's got the two-time world champ Cruz from Cuba in the semi. Cruz looked another level above in his fight.

Harry Garside wins in a wafer thin split decision. Seriously could have gone either way. Cracking fight from both lads.

i dont understand the points, but i gave red the first and third rounds and our Harry the middle round.

but yeah very even fight.

i cant see our harry beating the cuban either

i dont understand the points, but i gave red the first and third rounds and our Harry the middle round.

but yeah very even fight.

i cant see our harry beating the cuban either
Fair comment. I agree, the Kazakh bloke was probably a bit stiff to just miss out on the decision. I had him ahead, just.

I heard them on the TV saying that 7 of the 8 runners broke either a world, region or country record in that race. It was pretty damned good!

Cycling is fun to watch, I ride a fair bit so like watching the cycling. The track cycling is fairly insane and this is apparently a quick track. World records are going all over the place.

The broken handlebars yesterday was ridiculous, I know a little about this as I remember breaking forks on a bike once when I was a kid, front wheel locked and over I went - sans helmet of course but that's the way it was back then in the good old days.

DS
Olympic record for the men’s team pursuit was broken six times this afternoon. Twice by the aussies and we still couldn’t get a medal!

Agree, good fun to watch

Hah hah hah….cocky American Lyles really stuffed that 200m up easing down near the line. Even he gets through he’s maybe disadvantaged himself with his lane.

Last edited:
How funny was the 17 year old Yank in the 200m. Spent the whole straight looking at his opponents even when he was behind them and strolled across the line to win in a canter in a time of 20.02. Hilarious stuff and he looks to have outrageous talent.

Reactions: 1 users
A coupe of blistering runs. Degrassis Junior High 19.72 with the brakes on. The 17-year-old 20.02 while looking around for the last 60m.

How good's this Thybulle fella! Best defender the Boomers have ever had.

A coupe of blistering runs. Degrassis Junior High 19.72 with the brakes on. The 17-year-old 20.02 while looking around for the last 60m.

How good's this Thybulle fella! Best defender the Boomers have ever had.
I still can’t work out how Thybulle is an Aussie. Born in USA. Lived here from age 2-9 then went back to the States.

But he’s a bloody good player so we’ll take him!!

I still can’t work out how Thybulle is an Aussie. Born in USA. Lived here from age 2-9 then went back to the States.

But he’s a bloody good player so we’ll take him!!
Yeah, maybe he got citizenship when he was here? Kinda reverse of when we had the likes of Scott Fisher and Lanard Copeland in the team.