On the market (realfooty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

On the market (realfooty)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
On the market
July 16 2003

Jason Akermanis is out of contract at the end of the season.

Jason Akermanis, Anthony Rocca and Nathan Brown head a list of around 250 players coming out of contract at the end of this season. Stephen Rielly looks at some of the big names, and what sort of player each club needs most.

Jason Akermanis, Anthony Rocca and Nathan Brown head a list of around 250 players coming out of contract at the end of this season. Stephen Rielly looks at some of the big names, and what sort of player each club needs most.

ADELAIDE
UNCONTRACTED
Ian Perrie Andrew McLeod Bhett Biglands Brett Burton Brent Reilly
NEED
A dominant 192cm defender.

BRISBANE
UNCONTRACTED
Jason Akermanis Daniel Bradshaw Mal Michael Luke Power, Nigel Lappin.
NEED
A player for the post-Lynch future.

CARLTON
UNCONTRACTED
Andrew McKay Brendan Fevola, Matthew Allan Darren Hulme Jon McCormick Adrian Hickmott.
NEED
A reconstruction worthy of the IMF. In short, anyone.

COLLINGWOOD
UNCONTRACTED
Josh Fraser Anthony Rocca Leon Davis.
NEED
Midfield speed and carry

ESSENDON
UNCONTRACTED
Joe Misiti Scott Lucas Mark Johnson Sean Wellman Dean Rioli Dean Solomon.
NEED
A class centre square warrior.

FREMANTLE
UNCONTRACTED
Troy Longmuir Paul Medhurst Anthony Jones Dion Woods Robert Haddrill.
NEED
Quick, robust midfielder.

GEELONG
UNCONTRACTED
James Bartel David Clarke Darren Milburn Peter Riccardi Matt McCarthy.
NEED
A power marking forward.

HAWTHORN
UNCONTRACTED
Jade Rawlings Mark Graham Adrian Cox Angelo Lekkas Tim Clarke.
NEED
Centre-square animal.

KANGAROOS
UNCONTRACTED
Corey Jones Leigh Colbert Shane Clayton Shannon Watt.
NEED
Fortress players at both ends.

MELBOURNE
UNCONTRACTED
Brad Green Nathan Brown Peter Vardy Daniel Ward Peter Walsh Steven Armstrong Ryan Ferguson.
NEED
To clone Graham Polak.

PORT ADELAIDE
UNCONTRACTED
Gavin Wanganeen Nick Stevens Dean Brogan Michael Wilson Brendon Lade Adam Kingsley.
NEED
Next generation key back.

RICHMOND
UNCONTRACTED
Andrew Kellaway Joel Bowden Mark Chaffey Greg Tivendale Aaron Fiora
NEED
Strong-bodied tall defender

ST KILDA
UNCONTRACTED
Steven Milne Leigh Montagna Steve Lawrence Nick Dal Santo Matt Maguire Andrew Thompson.
NEED
A ruckman x 2.

SYDNEY
UNCONTRACTED
Ryan O’Keefe Michael O’Loughlin Jason Ball.
NEED
Menacing full-back.

WEST COAST
UNCONTRACTED
David Wirrpunda Chris Judd Ashley Sampi Adam Hunter Dean Cox.
NEED
Replacement key back for McIntosh/Jakovich

WESTERN BULLDOGS
UNCONTRACTED
Luke Darcy Nathan Brown Robert Murphy Daniel Giansiracusa Mitch Hahn
NEED
Monstrous, meaty defenders.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Andrew McLeod would be nice, but no way he leaves the Crows.

I would have thought tall defender was lweast of our weaknesses. MAybe they are jsut going by Saturdays game and having Gas out injured.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Players who could help us from that list.

Brett Burton
Luke Power
Dean Solomon
Paul Medhurst
Robert Hadrill
James Bartel
Nick Stevens
Dean Brogan
Chris Judd
Nathan Brown
Robert Murphy
Daniel Giansiricusa

Trades to be looked at:

Richo to either Geelong or Bulldogs for high picks/young talent

Bowden to Bulldogs for high picks or Brown

Gaspar back to West Coast to replace McIntosh/Jakovich and join his brother for Judd

A player who isnt out of contract, and through injury has probably lost his place in the Essendon side is Aaron Henneman, maybe one to look at.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Interesting that we have 4 1-sided, 1-dimensional blokes out of contract. This is our big chance.
Bye-bye, Joel and Aaron.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
The Boss,

This list from the Age was looking at the "big names" at all Clubs. I know the number of Tigers out of contract is a big one. We seem to be like a few other Clubs with more that half out of contract eg The Doggies.

But must say personally, I like the look of that kid Hadrill from the Dockers - if you were looking at a "no name" player

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
This is where I can't get my head around this new rule that says you can't trade a player in the first year of a new contract. If we have a lot of players coming out of contract, then we can't resign them now, because then we're restricted in how we can trade come year's end. But if they're out of contract, then it is possible that they could just walk, nominate for the draft and we get nothing. Just seems like an unworkable Catch 22 to me.

Is this why we're suddenly seeing 4 year contracts rather than the standard 2 or 3 year deals? And what about 1 year deals?

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Koalalill said:
But must say personally, I like the look of that kid Hadrill from the Dockers - if you were looking at a "no name" player

Agree there KL

He has really impressed me this year, good skills, good solid build and good overhead.

Is he a Melbourne boy originally??

P

PuntRoadRoar

not only hadrill but also dion woods would be an ideal replacement for cameron, running off a half back flank.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
This is where I can't get my head around this new rule that says you can't trade a player in the first year of a new contract. If we have a lot of players coming out of contract, then we can't resign them now, because then we're restricted in how we can trade come year's end. But if they're out of contract, then it is possible that they could just walk, nominate for the draft and we get nothing. Just seems like an unworkable Catch 22 to me.

That seems to be what the Clubs and now the Players association are saying Deano. I read a few reports that said they are reveiwing that part of the CBA. It seems the theory behind it good but the logistics of it are a nightmare

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
PuntRoadRoar said:
not only hadrill but also dion woods would be an ideal replacement for cameron, running off a half back flank.

Not so sure on Woods PRR. He is very light on - where we need bigger bodies. No doubting his skills - silky but I worry about his strength especially upper body

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The Boss said:
We've actually got over 20 players out of contract at the end of the season.

So there must be 16 still contracted then? Anyone know for sure who they are?

We have the following on our list, but it is really a compilation of guesswork not fact.

Campbell Ottens Holland Coughlan
Stafford Rogers Bowden Schulz
Fleming Nicholls Sipthorp

Richo Johnson Blumfield

Gaspar

Would Pettifer have another year?

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
PRR

Exactly what I was going to say PRR, both Hadrill and woods would be welcome at Tigerland in my book.
Woods could free up a bloke like Newman for example into the midfield, its always good to have options!!

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
we also need two tall defenders capable of playing forward two tall forwards capable of playing back two medium sized but quick guys capable of running the lines of half back an in and under on baller to help out cogs agrease lightning small forward (a bit like matera) and a couple of mongrels who dont mind dishing out a bit of rough justice ;yeah we only need half a football team travelling pretty well arent we ;D

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
holland to adelaide for burton richo to dogs for 1st pick which hopefully would end up being cooney but knowing beck & frawley they would pass him up for some dud

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
holland to adelaide for burton richo to dogs for 1st pick which hopefully would end up being cooney but knowing beck & frawley they would pass him up for some dud

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
How about this idea - its a bit from left field but I kinda like it - lets try and develop our own champions instead of looking for quick fixes.

Agree with the claw - cry baby Richo for bulldogs first round pick. Also Bowden for a first round pick. Get rid of the hacks and possibly look for some other high picks.

We say we've got salary cap problems yet we want big name players. Can't do it that way I'm sorry.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
And another thing - if RFC go and recruit some big name players this only indicates further that RFC and Fraudly have no confidence in Fraudly's ability to develop players.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I agree Harry. Let's stop looking for quick fixes and grow our own talent. Increasingly this is a young man's game. Not many veterans are going to play beyond 30 any more, and these days a 27 year old is looking at signing his last contract rather than being in their footy prime.

I'd be disappointed if we did another Kane Johnson deal this year. Even in trading, we must go for the under 21s.