Tigers to prowl all year (realfooty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers to prowl all year (realfooty)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers to prowl all year
By Lyall Johnson
July 17 2003

Richmond is set to launch an all-out marketing and publicity campaign in an attempt to make it the most recognised and financially sound club in Victoria.

The unprecedented push centres around using the club and its iconic Punt Road Oval all-year around, with events such as summer rock concerts and becoming involved in the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

According to Richmond's new chief executive, former Olympic triple jumper Ian Campbell, the club is already involved in talks with concert promoters and several leading rock bands for a series of concerts at Punt Road Oval over the summer.

Campbell, who before taking the Richmond job was involved in the US National Basketball Association and the Nike corporation, said the club could no longer simply rely on the seasonal nature of the football season to ensure financial viability.

"We need to offer 12 months a year marketing and promotional programs for our sponsors, and that's what we hope to do," Campbell said.

Signing members were important, and Richmond had to sign its huge untapped supporter base as well as keep its present members.

But Campbell said football clubs needed to provide "value adds" that ensured the club had recognition and coverage outside the football season and also provided a focus for activities that kept people rewarded and interested in the club.

Campbell said that while Richmond was looking only at a break-even balance sheet situation this financial year mainly because of the slump in poker machine revenue as a result of Victoria's new smoking laws, the club is aiming to have $3 million in the bank within three years.

To launch the new promotional campaign at tomorrow night's match against Collingwood, the club will roll out a new mascot and what the club has named a "Tiger Patrol" vehicle that will roam Melbourne and Victoria for promotional purposes.

Campbell said Richmond was keen to capitalise on Punt Road Oval's location, with more than 100 million people a year passing by either in cars or on trains, and has negotiated a major agreement with Cody Outdoor Advertising.

Massive advertisements promoting the club and its sponsors will appear both at the Punt Road Oval as well as around Melbourne.

"And being next to the main Commonwealth Games stadium and the Vodafone Arena, traffic will stop at Punt Road - so it will be essentially a giant pedestrian mall for X number of weeks. I think clearly we can offer opportunities for the community and maybe the games organisers to use us as a facility," he said.

Campbell is also keen for Punt Road Oval to be linked in with other sports, such as the Boxing Day Test.

"During the Boxing Day Test, why isn't Punt Road being used as an interactive site for cricket and for kids?"

The Tigers have also recently received an in-principle verbal agreement with its major sponsor, the TAC, to re-sign.

Campbell said the club, had a massive untapped and under-used supporter base, but needed also to reward members who continued to support the club.

He said football clubs were getting carried away trying to get new members but were failing to realise they must recognise the present ones.

"You know we have 90 members who have been members for 50 years or more. We have to realise the importance of that."

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
A new mascot? Does this mean Tigger has been Capuanoed?:eek:

All good noises coming from Punt Rd ATM. A win would be nice too.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
On the sponsorship front - expect some big announcements in the coming months.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
About time we got a new mascot, it's fair to say Tiggy has seen better days.

Maybe this one will be big enough to win some of the fights with the other mascots.

GO TIGGY!!

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Although it's early days, Ian Campbell seems to be a good acquisition. Coming in from the States, one would think that he'd have a lot of marketing ideas that are unheard of in the lowly world of AFL club admins. I mean, I'm not much of a fan of the yanks, but one thing they can definitely do well is market stuff.

I also like the fact that he's got form on the sporting field.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's a pity if rumour is correct, that the club didn't stand by the fat, cuddly old Tiggy. Kids loved him, and surely mascots are for the kids after all..
A bit of a face lift could have come in handy and he'd be right up there with the best mascots.
Apparently despite the fact the guy who did Tiggy volunteered his time the club refused his request to give him a membership so he could get into the games for free.
I don't know that for fact but respect the person who tells that story and trust it is true.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Tigerblood said:
Although it's early days, Ian Campbell seems to be a good acquisition. Coming in from the States, one would think that he'd have a lot of marketing ideas that are unheard of in the lowly world of AFL club admins. I mean, I'm not much of a fan of the yanks, but one thing they can definitely do well is market stuff.

I also like the fact that he's got form on the sporting field.
TB campbell is a aussie he represented australia at the olympics or commonwealth games.

some good positive fwd thinking by the club and about time i must say.
i dont expect any post,s from diggler.laff,fud or harry this is way to much of a positive thread about the club ;D

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
J2R, I know he's an Aussie but he's spent a heap of time learning his craft in the States, so I expect he'll bring a lot of ideas in from the NBA, NFL etc. I don't actually like those leagues, but there's no doubt they've done an amazing job selling themselves around the world.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Ian Campbell sees the big picture. I thought it was interesting in his column in the latest FTB he made comparisons to Jack Dyer/Richmond and Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees. I follow ML Baseball and the Yankees and his comparison was right on the money. The Yankees to this day still use the "awe" and legend of Ruth to promote their Club, their Stadium.

I think Ian is saying we have great heritage and history we need to use it to promote the Club but not only that use it to build our future.

Also, if people can get to the pre-game BBQ's he is usually there and he is good bloke to speak to. Believe me he does listen and he does value ALL members and supporters

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Lil I am an Oakland Athletics supporter and hate your mob from those two seasons we were 2-0 up and you came back to win the playoff series 3-2. Will never forgive Art Howe for not pinch running for Jeremy Giambi either so that Jeter would not have made that unbelievable play to totally ruin us.

rosy: If that story is true about hat volunteer kid not being given a membership i think that is sad depending on how much time he spent.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Wasn't a kid shawry, but an older man I think. He was there all games.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
Lil I am an Oakland Athletics supporter

I envy the A's Shawry. Best young pitchers in the majors I reckon and the Yankees strengthened them by trading Ted Lily :-\ I think Mark Mulder is just sensational

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Mulder is great no doubt. Zito not the same this year but stil lgreat and Hudson ever reliable. Verdict still out on Lilly.

WE'd be ok if we could jsut get past 1st round of playoffs for once before Schott gets rid of all our farm and we will have nothing left to trade or bring up of worth.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I've got an idea, why don't they use Punt Rd oval as a circus 365 days a year? During football season we can have Danny Copperfrawley the master illusionist and his star pupil Richo turning tricks, whilst in the off season they can replace the Richmond circus with Silva's circus. Great for the kids I reckon.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Why don't they sponsor a real tiger to act as mascot? That could really scare the bejesus out of the opposition. I know Richo was a bit nervous when Mohan the white tiger at Dreamworld came over to have a closer look at him that time him and Rogers were up there.

Eat 'em Alive!!!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
JohnF said:
.....we can have Danny Copperfrawley the master illusionist and his star pupil Richo turning tricks, .....

You can add rogers there also in the "turning tricks" department. ;D ;D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
gustiger12 said:
SHAWRY and KL will you two talk English.

Sounds like a few of Kevin SHEEDY'S martians have landed.

(Excuse my ignorance)

:D Gus,

MLB - Major League Baseball. My team the New York Yankees and Shawry's the Oakland Athletics. Aka: the winning teams we follow. ;D