One more flag, or the next 10 preliminaries? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

One more flag, or the next 10 preliminaries?

You can win the 2022 flag, then finish bottom 4 for a decade, or no flag and the next 10 prelims?

• 2022 Flag, then wilderness

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • A decade of preliminaries, no flag

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
A list management dichotomy.

and no, i cant tell you who we beat in the GF, or the opponent or outcome of the prelims.

its a no brainer for me. I can do a ten year stretch, easy

Personally I'd probably take the Prelims. Have already seen the flags I'd hoped to & consecutive prelims would mean our club remains strong both on & off field for the next decade with the chance to win more premierships.

Reactions: 1 user
Cheese Sandwich

The choice is basically to be Hawthorn or Geelong.

The journey would be fun with a decade of prelims but the frustration of never saluting would be overwhelming. 4 lots of BLU Ray finals series would last a decade easily. FMD I watched the 1980 Gf probably 10-15 times and I was 7 when it happened and can’t remember a thing from that day.

I’m assuming voting for the flag that either of these choices has NO impact on the next decade. You could argue a decade of bottom four screws you going forwards whereas perennial strength sets you up better.

Another :cupgoldwould be good, but another wilderness like our last one makes me feel ill.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Why cant we have both?

This

Take the win the flag in 2022 option. We would need to add a couple of very good young mids to achieve this. They would still be around for 6/8years and we have some decent players under 24 already. We would be at the top of the ladder for some time. Especially with further good drafting and trading.

Could add a couple of flags

Reactions: 3 users
Lets create history.
2022-Premiers
23-Last
24-Premiers
25-Last
26-Premiers
Etc Etc.
Call it a rebuild on the run with the #1 pick every 2yrs. :cupgold

I’ll go A.
Content, overweight middle aged men gloating is boring.
I always preferred the draft thread over Premiership thread on here anyway.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Flag cos that puts us in the hawthorn 80s conversation

Reactions: 1 users
i dunno - it's a kind of 'how long is a piece of string?' question ...

i think we'll be thereabouts next year and for some years to come ... is that fence sitting ?

Good question

As good as being on top for 10 years sounds, don't think I could take the heart ache of 10 straight Prelim or GF losses. Leave that for Geelong.

The 2018 Prelim loss was one of the worst days ever.

2022 flag for me

after 4 flags wouldn't be the end of the world seeing a rebuild with some good draft picks. Also you would celebrate home and away wins more in a rebuild than you would when you're on top.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes Harry. Who could possibly want the ground hog day of the 2018 prelim over and over? Torture. Another flag and a beautiful rebuild to prepare for the next dynasty. No brainer.

I want Richmond to be a powerhouse club that’s always contending for a flag.

So no, I wouldn’t gamble everything on any single year knowing it would cost us 10 years of opportunities.

It’s an easy question from a list management point of view: pick the 10 years of being a powerhouse and back our culture in to take us further than our overall talent suggests.