Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Don't we all want to know.
I’m not gonna be surprised if these two desperado clubs are found to be over the cap or, at the very least, have a massive cap issue in 2 years time that makes Cwood’s issues lame in comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I’m not gonna be surprised if these two desperado clubs are found to be over the cap or, at the very least, have a massive cap issue in 2 years time that makes Cwood’s issues lame in comparison.
Cartoon might be back on the booze again.....wouldn't that be great to see.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I heard this morning that Arsendon threw a massive offer at Rankine. Seriously, where the **** are them and Carlton getting all the money every year to throw big bucks at all these players at other clubs ???
Essendon are *smile*. They should have heaps of room in their cap.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Might be against the grain here but I actually think it's quite clever how Ginnivan's milking these free kicks under existing rules for high tackles.
Read a good tweet this morning regarding the tactic..Defenders have got to start playing the game on him too & start faking the tackle so he flops to ground & then roll him. His first instinct is to flop so defenders have to be smarter to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Might be against the grain here but I actually think it's quite clever how Ginnivan's milking these free kicks under existing rules for high tackles.
Read a good tweet this morning regarding the tactic..Defenders have got to start playing the game on him too & start faking the tackle so he flops to ground & then roll him. His first instinct is to flop so defenders have to be smarter to deal with it.
Might seem like a good idea, there's an article in today's Hun about how much risk there is involved in trying to milk the system in this way though. It's been a problem ever since the AFL ruled the head to be a sacred site some years back and players started ramming head first into contests to game the system n score frees.
Old school footy was all about playing hard, putting the body / arse, not the head in n winning the contest not scabbing n ducking bleating for the umpires help. Certain players, coaches n clubs seem more concerned now about finding ways to manipulate the system however they can purely to achieve the desired result no matter what the risk over the longer term might be.
Long time ago there was Neil Sachse wound up a quad, then not so long ago there was Carrotseller who got very lucky. I'm bloody surprised that there haven't been more serious spinal injuries at the top levels of the game over the years, but since the introduction of the sacred site rules the exploitation methods have exacerbated the issues that the AFL have tried to safeguard against.
Won't surprise me at all if some young bloke hears some awful crackling sounds as he ducks for a free one day n there'll be a lot of people feeling guilty.

Couple of years ago some of our blokes were doing the shrug n I'm glad Dimma told em to stop playing that way.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There are a lot of players now deliberately trying to get a high tackle. Eventually it will end in someone getting seriously injured.

The worst thing about this is that the AFL could fix this, you duck, you bend your knees, you shrug so the tackle goes high - free and 50m penalty. Stamp it out.

The worst I have ever seen was a Port player a few years ago, very early in a game against us, literally jumped head first into a Richmond player's chest right in front of goal and got the free. Blatant, very blatant, and this is where the commentators who could see it clearly on the TV pics, should have called it out. In a pack the umps won't always see this but you can see it on the TV.

Maybe a week suspension if it is found on the video of the game.

Needs to be stopped before someone gets seriously hurt.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Norf. Starting again. What is it four coaches, five years? The complete opposite of what we did with Dimma.

Feel like this is player-driven. And the list is so bad. So much work to be done. Jason Horne Francis to ask for a trade at years end at half the price of what was offered last year. That will be the true bottoming out of Norf.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Norf. Starting again. What is it four coaches, five years? The complete opposite of what we did with Dimma.

Feel like this is player-driven. And the list is so bad. So much work to be done. Jason Horne Francis to ask for a trade at years end at half the price of what was offered last year. That will be the true bottoming out of Norf.
It's all free fall now and this could happen if we negotiate well.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Do we have another crack?

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
Channel Seven referred to Buddy Franklin as the "game's biggest superstar".
Has he heard of a fellow at Richmond, Number Four, called Dustin Martin?
He has won three Norm Smith Medals on the big day.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
GWS interested in Adam Kingsley .........get the eff out. Stop stealing our coaches.
Allister Clarkson would be asking for close to $1m to coach.
Although he's also running out of choices.

Come on down AFL with an Ambassadorial Grant.

Giants may have to at least demonstrate some type of due diligence in looking elswehere. Dont think Kingsley will be a major consideration.
If I were AK, I'd wait for either the Adelaide or Port job to become available.

Last edited:

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Not a big fan of the swans but really happy for Paddy McCartin to be not only be finally playing some consistent football, but also killing it. Looked goneski 12 months ago.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Have to say Jy Simpkin's comment: "this is for you Nobes" was rubbish.

Why couldn't they perform better under him before??

Reactions: 3 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
If I were AK, I'd wait for either the Adelaide or Port job to become available.
Port more likely this year as they still have a game to come against Richmond.

Club administrators have come to understand that the best time to sack a coach is just before they play us. We like to help novice coaches just starting out.

I doubt even Essendon would try that just before Round 23 though.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
So Gerry Gee…the great Trumpist of the AFL ….basically admits last night that he’s spoken to Clarkson about helping Norf out. What’s that gonna mean ? Soft cap concessions ? Norf are gonna apply for draft concessions so is the great Gerry Gee also looking to give them soft cap concessions too to fit Clarkson in ?

Seriously, is there any other league in the world where the administrators of the league interfere and apply contrived rules to get contrived outcomes like the AFL does ? Why is the CEO of the league talking to Clarkson at all about coaching Norf ?

What’s the point of having any rules and terms and conditions in the AFL at all ?

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
So Gerry Gee…the great Trumpist of the AFL ….basically admits last night that he’s spoken to Clarkson about helping Norf out. What’s that gonna mean ? Soft cap concessions ? Norf are gonna apply for draft concessions so is the great Gerry Gee also looking to give them soft cap concessions too to fit Clarkson in ?

Seriously, is there any other league in the world where the administrators of the league interfere and apply contrived rules to get contrived outcomes like the AFL does ? Why is the CEO of the league talking to Clarkson at all about coaching Norf ?

What’s the point of having any rules and terms and conditions in the AFL at all ?
It's becoming obvious more now that Clarko will get the lolnorf job even with links to Tassie for Clarko long-term.