Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I am a huge advocate not just for gender equality issues but all equity issues
Note the sleight of hand from 'equality' to 'equity'. This is full on woke-speak.

'Equality of opportunity' is totally uncontroversial, and pretty much accepted by all of us, but 'equity' in this context means 'equality of outcomes', which is completely at odds with ideas of competition and merit.

So I guess selection in their seniors will now be shared equally amongst the overall list, and all efforts must be made to ensure each match finishes in a draw.

As an aside, if you haven't heard of the 'long march through the institutions', Google it.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Note the sleight of hand from 'equality' to 'equity'. This is full on woke-speak.

'Equality of opportunity' is totally uncontroversial, and pretty much accepted by all of us, but 'equity' in this context means 'equality of outcomes', which is completely at odds with ideas of competition and merit.

So I guess selection in their seniors will now be shared equally amongst the overall list, and all efforts must be made to ensure each match finishes in a draw.

As an aside, if you haven't heard of the 'long march through the institutions', Google it.
Is she going to present participation trophies after the ANZAC Eve game on Saturday?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Wonder if that means daisy n a few of the other girls will be lining up to replace a few of the under performing boys in future weeks. Surely their new Prez is full on for gender equality.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Avg Age Adjusted = excluding substitutes who didn't actually play

ClubAvg AgeAvg Age AdjustedAge RankLadderDiff
Geel27.3227.501st8th-7
Rich26.9427.042nd5th-3
W.C.26.6026.673rd6th-3
Coll26.4626.554th16th-12
Haw25.9425.915th17th-12
P.A.25.8525.866th4th+2
Carl25.7725.827th11th-4
Bris25.7125.808th10th-2
W.B.25.6525.699th1st+8
Melb25.1825.2410th2nd+8
St.K25.0425.0311th13th-2
GWS24.7624.8512th12th-
Frem24.7824.8113th9th+4
Adel24.5524.5814th7th+7
Syd24.4524.5215th3rd+12
G.C.24.4724.5116th15th+1
Ess24.4024.3217th14th+3
N.M.24.1924.1918th18th-

Younger clubs have jumped up while Collingwood and Hawthorn have gone off the cliff. Older teams have still won 56% of games, compared with 51% to the same stage in 5 of the past 7 seasons (including 2017-19-20). Older teams have typically won 60-70% of games from this point forward in the last decade (2016 the outlier with 56%).

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

Just waiting on the participation awards ceremony too

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
John Worsfold to Carlton as a mentor for Teague. ...... for a bloke who never talked much he can sure talk himself into a job!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Is she somehow related to the goal umpire with the nice arse? Chelsea?? :peepwall

Knowledge, skill, talent, conviction, application, appetite for the role, should always be the precursors for any role. Not whether it's female or male or we need to " equalise " just because it's not fair otherwise.

Kate Roffey is an incredibly experienced sports administrator. She’s worked overseas (premier league and NFL) and in Australia in various sports. She is also the real brains behind Western United in the A-league and Wyndham Stadium. There probably isn’t a more qualified and skilled person to be president of an AFL club. I wish she followed Richmond.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

What a load of horseshit

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
John Worsfold to Carlton as a mentor for Teague. ...... for a bloke who never talked much he can sure talk himself into a job!
Heard this on tonight's news. Teaguey mentioned that he was having some in depth mentoring type discussions with Woosha while in the hub last year.
Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Woosha was still sorta almost coaching Essendrugs last year.
Essendrugs n Carlscum both pretty crap last year, both still pretty crap this year. Common denominator, Woosha had a sneaky finger in both pies n probably contaminated them both.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Why? Are our mob doing something wrong or not to your liking these last few years?

lol, i have been pretty vocal on my feelings about the board for many years. Not so much the performance of the board (obviously), but the way it is structured. anyway, I have been over this many times. i don't really wanna go over it again as I am sick of sounding like a broken record. There are plenty of posts you can go back and read on if you wanna know my view. All I way say is that when we are *smile* again and we are unable to remove anyone for incompetence, people will then come to regret the way Peggy and co have set up the structure. And I will say I told you so. But lets hope that is a long, long way away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
lol, i have been pretty vocal on my feelings about the board for many years. Not so much the performance of the board (obviously), but the way it is structured. anyway, I have been over this many times. i don't really wanna go over it again as I am sick of sounding like a broken record. There are plenty of posts you can go back and read on if you wanna know my view. All I way say is that when we are *smile* again and we are unable to remove anyone for incompetence, people will then come to regret the way Peggy and co have set up the structure. And I will say I told you so. But lets hope that is a long, long way away.
I respect you POV Ian. I have worked for an organisation with true and active governance for a long time. A new member elected board every year (often retaining former members). Elections can be stressful and poor decisions on board members really effect the day to day and can make it hellish at times but... when people work together and trust each other it really works. What do we want? A democracy or the appearance of a democracy? I like the haphazard true kind but am also mindful of how destructive rampant populism can be. It’s hard to fault our board but I agree with the sentiment of your post.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Seem to recall we spent thirty odd years constantly removing people for deemed incompetence n pretty sure all that got us was broke and a laughing stock. Also fairly sure that there was plenty around that wanted to remove the current board not that long ago as they deemed them incompetent and were desperate to replace them with another mob who showed themselves to be desperately incompetent before they'd even managed to mount a proper challenge.

Just out of idle curiosity. Hows that mob running " Victory " going at the moment? Seem to be doing a sterling job of destroying what was once a premium club. You don't happen to have any background say in the running of that mob by any chance :))?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I respect you POV Ian. I have worked for an organisation with true and active governance for a long time. A new member elected board every year (often retaining former members). Elections can be stressful and poor decisions on board members really effect the day to day and can make it hellish at times but... when people work together and trust each other it really works. What do we want? A democracy or the appearance of a democracy? I like the haphazard true kind but am also mindful of how destructive rampant populism can be. It’s hard to fault our board but I agree with the sentiment of your post.

yeah, although it's all worked out well for us, agree that the board restructure and appointments has been about minimising input from rank and file members. Maybe this is the way we have to go, but it's not that democratic.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Shut up Fagan. Banging on about the game being too long just because his game went 137. Wants to shorten it. That game had reasons for going so long eg injuries and such.

Meanwhile other games all went shorter. Some considerably so. One was 118 and two were 119.

Just shut up Fagan you AFL suck. 20 minute quarters are fine.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Just shut up Fagan you AFL suck. 20 minute quarters are fine.
Simple fix.
Just cut out all the in qtr ad breaks n stop the maggots from prancing n arse waggling every stoppage. Qtrs would instantly revert to 25 / 27 minutes each unless there's a wheely bin player injury.

Reactions: 1 users