Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
With Richmond to play, great opportunity for Essendon to sack their coach this week.
Latest word is that Rutten has full support of the board.
Or should this be shifted to Rumour board?
Let em sack him and he can come back to Tigerland to sort our defence back to how he helped set it up in 2017.

We brought Leppa back after he got sacked and it worked wonders.

Reactions: 1 users

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
You can see it a mile away. Bombers play one out of their skins, knock us over, media proclaim premiership favourites for 2023

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The club that has really stuffed up in all these coaching shenanigans is St Failure. If you think Clarkson is the messiah (personally I don’t) but if you did, then they are the club that suits Clarkson perfectly. They’re screaming out for another autocrat who knows what he’s doing and isn’t going to receive any resistance. Just as they did with Thomas and Lyon.

Whatever, Ratten won’t see out 2023.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, earlier in the season there were a lot of people on PRE talking up Nonfinals-ton. Certainties to make the 8, big top 4 chance. Best midfield in the comp etc etc.

Sorry brothers, but hopefully they miss yet again this weekend. Hope the Filth do a number on them.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Ye
Curnow to 2029? That's a big risk for a guy who's done 3 knees.
Yep, long deal.
Clubs - all clubs, incl ours - are really having to sign much longer deals than they should given the pressure to hold onto even half decent players. 6 years for Curnow seems overs to me. I wonder if they had to stagger the $ longer, they sure do have some highly paid duds if the media is to be believed.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ye

Yep, long deal.
Clubs - all clubs, incl ours - are really having to sign much longer deals than they should given the pressure to hold onto even half decent players. 6 years for Curnow seems overs to me. I wonder if they had to stagger the $ longer, they sure do have some highly paid duds if the media is to be believed.
Unfortunately clubs all like to follow one another round and round in circles trying to make sure they don't miss out whenever one does something right.
Plenty of these mega long term deals fraught with danger as all sorts of *smile* can come raining down over the years and clubs can get stuck with very expensive lame ducks for many years.
Lynch at Brisvegas.
Budwah at Sydaknee.
Grundypants at Colonwood.
Dusty at Tigerland.

Long term deals on big big money then all of a sudden things get a bit dodgy n the player hardly plays for a year or two n everyone gets antsy as the list growth n development gets strangulated. Reckon 3 to 5 years should be more than long enough deals for anyone.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You pay what you need to pay to secure the player you want. When Collingwood signed Grundy they knew it was the length of contract and the price they needed to pay or he would go elsewhere. If I was Collingwood I would chalk it up to bad luck, because they clearly wanted to keep Grundy, they knew what it would cost and they paid the price. It was a reasonable decision at the time because other clubs were willing to offer Grundy a long contract.

Same applies to Dusty, if we didn't offer him 7 years he may well have gone somewhere else, where would we be then? The price was a 7 year deal and a high salary or you miss out.

DS

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
You pay what you need to pay to secure the player you want. When Collingwood signed Grundy they knew it was the length of contract and the price they needed to pay or he would go elsewhere. If I was Collingwood I would chalk it up to bad luck, because they clearly wanted to keep Grundy, they knew what it would cost and they paid the price. It was a reasonable decision at the time because other clubs were willing to offer Grundy a long contract.

Same applies to Dusty, if we didn't offer him 7 years he may well have gone somewhere else, where would we be then? The price was a 7 year deal and a high salary or you miss out.

DS

You give a Franklin or a Dusty a deal like that. A ruckman? I couldn’t believe they did that deal. Glad they did though haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You give a Franklin or a Dusty a deal like that. A ruckman? I couldn’t believe they did that deal. Glad they did though haha

Yeah, I understand a ruck is a bit of an outlier, but Grundy is pretty damned good when fit and also can do more than just ruck. Add in the fact that without Grundy their ruck would have been some tall yank and I reckon you have to pay if other clubs are making offers.

DS

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, I understand a ruck is a bit of an outlier, but Grundy is pretty damned good when fit and also can do more than just ruck. Add in the fact that without Grundy their ruck would have been some tall yank and I reckon you have to pay if other clubs are making offers.

DS

I can see that argument too. But it stuffed their cap and they’ve been trying to rectify it ever since. Sometimes you just have to let players go. They panicked and gave him what he wanted. Totally different ball game now with Wright as their GM of footy.

He may come back and have some AA quality years - he bloody owes them that’s for sure. But they’ve been doing ok without him too.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
It just dawned on me .........................................

There is every chance that North Melbourne with Clarkson are as of right now more of a chance of winnning a flag before Essington .....................................

With Clarksons arrival the Kangas will help stop the bleeding of talent that was on the cards.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It just dawned on me .........................................

There is every chance that North Melbourne with Clarkson are as of right now more of a chance of winnning a flag before Essington .....................................

With Clarksons arrival the Kangas will help stop the bleeding of talent that was on the cards.
Yep. For sure.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can see that argument too. But it stuffed their cap and they’ve been trying to rectify it ever since. Sometimes you just have to let players go. They panicked and gave him what he wanted. Totally different ball game now with Wright as their GM of footy.

He may come back and have some AA quality years - he bloody owes them that’s for sure. But they’ve been doing ok without him too.

That's the risk you take, the fact they have been doing well without him would be p!ssing Collingwood off, but at the time they saw a need to keep Grundy and with good reason.

There's never a clear correct answer . . . except maybe in hindsight.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Has any one ever been suspended for using inappropriate language?
Racist, sexist, umpirist??? No idea of what the Zork might be in trouble for, only got a couple of score checks of the game. Pretty sure if he's launched n it's been over heard he could be in some serious strife depending on the context.