Our forward line is finally a strength | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our forward line is finally a strength

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I was lambasted last year for writing us out of the finals early, but I was just transcribing from the writing on the wall.

Balta, Jack, Lynch, Martin, Baker, Edwards.

This is a post 2020 forward line.

And probably the league's best.

Soldo and Nank rotating forward is a gift from the football gods. I like any combination of Jack, Lynch, Nank, Soldo, Balta (provided Jack is always there).

Our midfield is strong. Cotchin, Prestia, Bolton are as good as you'll get. Ruck division is A grade, as far as ruck divisions can be. Support is good enough. Moving Aarts into that support role helps, at least in that it's moved him out of the forward line. If we can just find somewhere to hide Castagna.

Our defensive unit is quality, and if healthy and first line, as good as you'll get in the AFL. Gibcus will be key, which is a concern. But there's enough there for luck to carry us through.

This is now a finals side. And I'll happily go early on that. I think it's a top four side. And Dusty makes any top four side a premiership side.

Reactions: 13 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Totally agree Coburg. Looks like Teague's done a good job.

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
If we stay healthy we can contend & we have a good mix of youth coming through which should keep us as a contender into the future

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I was lambasted last year for writing us out of the finals early, but I was just transcribing from the writing on the wall.

Soldo and Nank rotating forward is a gift from the football gods. I like any combination of Jack, Lynch, Nank, Soldo, Balta (provided Jack is always there).

Our midfield is strong. Cotchin, Prestia, Bolton are as good as you'll get. Ruck division is A grade, as far as ruck divisions can be. Support is good enough. Moving Aarts into that support role helps, at least in that it's moved him out of the forward line. If we can just find somewhere to hide Castagna.

Our defensive unit is quality, and if healthy and first line, as good as you'll get in the AFL. Gibcus will be key, which is a concern. But there's enough there for luck to carry us through.

This is now a finals side. And I'll happily go early on that. I think it's a top four side. And Dusty makes any top four side a premiership side.
Watching todays match I though out defence was scrappy at times and gave up the ball all too easily. Tarrant is not an Astbury but hopefully will start to gel and play the Richmond way as it must be hard after playing the Roos way for so long. Gibcus showed good signs but also some immaturity. Easy to criticise after todays match but we still have a couple of weeks to get it all set up but have to agree with your overall assessment of where we are

• Love

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Watching todays match I though out defence was scrappy at times and gave up the ball all too easily. Tarrant is not an Astbury but hopefully will start to gel and play the Richmond way as it must be hard after playing the Roos way for so long. Gibcus showed good signs but also some immaturity. Easy to criticise after todays match but we still have a couple of weeks to get it all set up but have to agree with your overall assessment of where we are
I agree.

The backline is our most delicate component.

However, it's a backline that is led by Dylan Grimes.

And remember Vlossy is a massive out.

I have absolute faith in Nathan Broad. Shorty is a best and fairest, Rioli is a three time premiership player, and Tarrant is solid, though sunsetting.

We can't really cover injuries. I'm not sure I want to rely on Biggie or Miller. Depth will be our undoing, if there is to be one, in all positions.

We have depth issues across the park.

But I haven't been this excited about our forward line at any point in our dynasty.

Seeing Soldo crash packs in the goal square opens up a whole new avenue.

He's such an interesting player. He looks like Frankenstein's Ivan Maric, and plays like an approximation of Tom Lynch built out of Cinder Blocks. With all the resulting finesse and brutality.

I can't see how you defend Lynch Balta and Jack. Especially with Nank and Soldo playing loose. None of whom will let an opponent run off them.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Taking in mind that the horks backline was *smile*, they missed their 2 best mids and the dorks will finish bottom 3, but..
A very good forward display.
3 talls working in unison. Always one to get off the chain.
Long kicks deep are contested by at least 2 talls. So much harder for oppo marks
3 smalls rotating can all play onball so great flexibility
(I'd think Shai starts forward and Dusty onball)

But
George's role isn't clear. To my mind he should be played high half forward as a link /small CHF
No 'extra midfield spot' which Lambert and Graham typically play. Does that mean our 4man forward line is dead? Will we be outnumbered around the ground? Time will tell

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

i reckon we might see more Bolton than Dusty in the f50, which is probably a better balance. it is the most dangerous looking forward 6 we have had for a long time.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
i reckon we might see more Bolton than Dusty in the f50, which is probably a better balance. it is the most dangerous looking forward 6 we have had for a long time.
Keeping in mind Dusty is the best player to ever play the game, to me it's much of a muchness whether Dusty or Shai play forward.

It looked like they split it fairly well yesterday too.