Our list | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our list

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
What does Stack need to do to replace Short? Or is it more of a , what does Short need to do/ not do to be replaced?

For me, Short has not only dropped his haircut game, his on-field performances have also taken a dive of late.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
What does Stack need to do to replace Short? Or is it more of a , what does Short need to do/ not do to be replaced?

For me, Short has not only dropped his haircut game, his on-field performances have also taken a dive of late.
Bit harsh on Shorty, very few players maintained their standards of previous seasons, there is quite a few players under the pump before him I would of thought.

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
What is de Goey’s contract status? Is he a Free Agent at the end of next year?

He might present an interesting opportunity for us if he is. At the right price, of course.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
What is de Goey’s contract status? Is he a Free Agent at the end of next year?

He might present an interesting opportunity for us if he is. At the right price, of course.
:poop: :vomit

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Outs- Astbury, Houli, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Naish, Garthwaite, Eggmolesse-Smith
ins- Tarrant, Parker, Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke

Out 4 talls and 3 small/mediums, in 2 talls and 5 small/mediums. Can't see how that makes us stronger in 2022, hopefully it will longer term. I do think however our list is better balanced now with the only glaring deficiency being a young KPF

What we need is the natural growth of the 1-3 year players to outstrip the drop off in the older guys and have far less injury issues

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
What we need is the natural growth of the 1-3 year players to outstrip the drop off in the older guys and have far less injury issues
More realistically need them to reach AFL level. Going to be hard to replace 3x premiership players.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I'm sure you'll remember people saying George and Kamdyn will be phased out of the side since the 2017 post-season. Everyone gets phased out eventually, but will these guys be phased out because kicking has become a premium?

The kicking quality of this crop could be by design. Maybe we are shifting to a more controlled game plan? We did trial one this year.

It could also just reflect a strong draft hand. A welcome bonus that we didn't need to compromise on like we usually would.

We still drafted for all the other typical Richmond traits, so I'm inclined to assume our recruiting this year doesn't represent a shift in thinking about how we will play in the near future. We can't know for sure either way, because we never needed to compromise on kicking or Richmond traits at our picks this year. We got both. Lucky us!

One question I'd like to put forward is:

Can kicking ever be considered a premium when you play fast?

The reason I think it can't is because unlike Geelong's controlled approach that relies on precision kicking through a stable defence, fast play relies on turning it over to quickly get it in before the opposition's defence is ready, so there's more space available, and their defensive systems are in chaos.

The faster you move, the faster you pull the trigger, the more space available... so more room for error.

The slower you move, the slower you pull the trigger, the less space available... so there's less room for error. (Kicking premium)

I'm very happy to draft quality kicks, but we could've drafted even better kicks if we really wanted to and we chose not to.

From that line of thinking, I'd say we're doubling down on what we already do, but using better kicks to replace to rookies and late picks we've done it with before.

I still see us playing a fast, instinctive brand that has a place for players like George, Pickett, and Kamdyn, who still bring a lot of important qualities to the table, especially in finals. Grand Finals. Big contests. At this stage, I don't see kicking as a premium at Richmond with role players being phased out because of it, but I am biased, so I'll probably find any way to defend these guys lol.
When I mentioned Clarke couldn’t have been any clearer about the premium placed on kicking skills, I was being literal.
He actual came out after the draft and specifically said that we recruited players with strong kicking skills ( and great athletes) as the new rules have changed the game to launching back half transitioning rather than one of locking the ball inside our forward half.
He used Melbourne’s game plan going through Christian Salem at HB as a clear example.
No secret that the stand rule was designed to thwart our game style. We have to adapt and tweak.
I believe we’ve spent a lot of time analysing where things went wrong and have recruited accordingly.

Reactions: 5 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Outs- Astbury, Houli, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Naish, Garthwaite, Eggmolesse-Smith
ins- Tarrant, Parker, Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke

Out 4 talls and 3 small/mediums, in 2 talls and 5 small/mediums. Can't see how that makes us stronger in 2022, hopefully it will longer term. I do think however our list is better balanced now with the only glaring deficiency being a young KPF

Soldo back will be huge :)

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
When I mentioned Clarke couldn’t have been any clearer about the premium placed on kicking skills, I was being literal.
He actual came out after the draft and specifically said that we recruited players with strong kicking skills ( and great athletes) as the new rules have changed the game to launching back half transitioning rather than one of locking the ball inside our forward half.
He used Melbourne’s game plan going through Christian Salem at HB as a clear example.
No secret that the stand rule was designed to thwart our game style. We have to adapt and tweak.
I believe we’ve spent a lot of time analysing where things went wrong and have recruited accordingly.
What's a little strange about the draft is that this is exactly what we identified and improved by the end of the season.
Rioli, Stack, Short.
Fast, skilful and brave to attack.
We adapted and seemed to have this area covered.

We then drafted Brown and Banks.....

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What's a little strange about the draft is that this is exactly what we identified and improved by the end of the season.
Rioli, Stack, Short.

I'm hoping that Syd gets fit enough to play in the midfield. His clearance work is very good, especially at stoppages.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Rioli, Stack, Short.

I reckon Banks has been recruited as a midfielder.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
That gives the batch new meaning but developing his inside game still a work in progress. I like the idea though, 2 mids from the group gives it way more balance.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Is he good enough to play onball?
Or wing?

One thing Banks said on the Tiger time radio is that he went outside because he was a good kick. That its been a couple of years not playing onball and playing the designated kicker role.
I found it illuminating. So it doesn't mean he is too uncontested or too soft. He,s not outside because he can't go inside. It just suited the junior team.

This could apply to Sonsie and Brown too.
All our draftees are fast, hard and good kicks. They've played out wide but could develop to be balanced footballers

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Is he good enough to play onball?
Or wing?

One thing Banks said on the Tiger time radio is that he went outside because he was a good kick. That its been a couple of years not playing onball and playing the designated kicker role.
I found it illuminating. So it doesn't mean he is too uncontested or too soft. He,s not outside because he can't go inside. It just suited the junior team.

This could apply to Sonsie and Brown too.
All our draftees are fast, hard and good kicks. They've played out wide but could develop to be balanced footballers

I think thats the thing, he could be anything. Many have pegged him purely as a hbf but it seems we've been watching him for a long time and have him down as a lot more than that. Its why we had him rated so much higher than others. Take Doerre for example, rates us down for the Banks pick but he has him pegged purely for a hbf.

I think he played twice through the midfield this season and got like 29 possessions in both, so it seems he knows where the ball is and how to win it. Whether he's the 1st possession winner, I don't know, but as a 2nd possession winner he could be very damaging.

Already has plenty of muscle mass to him too, looking at the pic of him at PRO today and his upper body size compared to say Brown next to him was clearly evident. Sonsie also has a similar good build about him too.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think thats the thing, he could be anything. Many have pegged him purely as a hbf but it seems we've been watching him for a long time and have him down as a lot more than that. Its why we had him rated so much higher than others. Take Doerre for example, rates us down for the Banks pick but he has him pegged purely for a hbf.

I think he played twice through the midfield this season and got like 29 possessions in both, so it seems he knows where the ball is and how to win it. Whether he's the 1st possession winner, I don't know, but as a 2nd possession winner he could be very damaging.

Already has plenty of muscle mass to him too, looking at the pic of him at PRO today and his upper body size compared to say Brown next to him was clearly evident. Sonsie also has a similar good build about him too.
Good size for a mid too.
What is he 187?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Rioli, Stack, Short.

Clarke actually used the word depth a couple of times during different post draft interviews. He said we filled a few gaps in our depth of certain positions.
I think we may get caught up thinking that these young players are recruited for the now but that only applies to the gifted few.
Realistically these boys will be physically developing whilst playing twos and learning the Richmond game plan.
Sonsie probably the most developed and a chance for an early birth.
And those getting excited about Gibcus need to remember how long Balta took to cement his position in the ones. And that was more out of necessity due to injuries than knocking the door down.

Reactions: 4 users