Over Paid | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Over Paid

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I cant believe that Richmond must get paid at least 97% (I think) of the salary cap to its players.
Apart from a hand full of players, whom the heck would deserve to get paid so much ?
I would really like to see which players get paid what.
Some players must feel guilty putting their hands out.
If we were to pay our players on a performance based contract, it would be fair and we may see some players putting in a better effort.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
This is one of the areas that Greg Miller has identified as in desperate need of repair.

The previous CEO did some ridiculous contracts ie Bissiscombe $150k for 3 years

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Rampaging Richo said:
This is one of the areas that Greg Miller has identified as in desperate need of repair.

Yes he has RR. He mentioned a couple of weeks back that he intends to ask some players to take a cut and others to keep their salaries as they are. It's no time to be asking for a salary increase.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Rampaging Richo said:

The previous CEO did some ridiculous contracts ie Bissiscombe $150k for 3 years

I think Biddiscombe is actually earning more than that, closer to $200,000 per year

SPeaking of contracts, apparently we are paying Kane Johnson less that Torney was earning. Not sure if thats a fact, but is what i've been told.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Can I take any of the above postings to mean that Gaspar might have to take a cut? The thought that he is getting so much more than a player of Sugar Kane's calibre really riles me.
I don't have to keep advertising that I am not a member of the Gaspar Fan Club, do I? :mad:

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
nwonash said:
I cant believe that Richmond must get paid at least 97% (I think) of the salary cap to its players.

All teams must pay at least 92.5% of the total salary cap.

For season 2003 Richmond is paying 97%. Bext season they are inteneding to pay 98% of the total cap. This % is set by the Board prior to the trade period

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Roar34 said:
Can I take any of the above postings to mean that Gaspar might have to take a cut? The thought that he is getting so much more than a player of Sugar Kane's calibre really riles me.
I don't have to keep advertising that I am not a member of the Gaspar Fan Club, do I? :mad:

Out of interest Roar, is your opinion of Gas only based on his pay packet or his playing ability?

I think Gas has been the general of our ever reliable backline the last few seasons. If we didn't have them I shudder to think how bad we would have been.

I am a bit confused about the players being asked to take a pay cut. I assume seeing they have signed contracts it would be an honour thing but couldn't be enforced if the players didn't agree to it?

I don't hold the amount of money the players get against them. It's the clubs choice whether to agree to it or not.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
I don't hold the amount of money the players get against them. It's the clubs choice whether to agree to it or not.

It's not the Club Rosy - it's Danny Frawley's - just ask Harry ::) :-\ ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Agree about Gas Rosy. He was having a very good season when injured — close to All-Australian form again.
He's been a huge loss for us — I have no doubt that we wouldn't hae lost a couple of those close ones (Geelong, Carlton, possibly others) if he'd been there.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
It's not the Club Rosy - it's Danny Frawley's - just ask Harry ::) \

Actually I wonder if Danny would have any say in it. Surely he'd be consulted at to the players value to him,
If the club were to offer a player like King for example, half a million dollars a year, surely Danny has the power to step in and say nah we'll let him go. Not worth it.
It would be interesting to know if the coach is consulted in contract negotiations. I'd be a bit surprised if he wasn't.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I think Gaspar is a good defender, however, this disposal at times is very questionable.
He is a great at containing full fowards.
However, one player doesnt make the backline.
Chaffey, Zantuck, A Kellaway and Newman have been fantastic support when *smile* was playing so well until injury hit.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Agree nwonash (that is a hard nick to shorten, ha) As I said I think Gas was the general of the backline,but he had some great support without doubt.
I think he's been sadly missed there since his injury.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Roar34 said:
ben hollands the one that gets up my goat roar big bucks for very little return hes a complete dud

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
i'm not a huge Gaspar fan, but I recognise is worth (some would say i dont recognise his worth enough). At the very least he is serviceable every week and does a good job stopping his man (even though I agree his disposal and decision making is a little wonky at times).

What I'm pissed off about is inconsistent players getting huge pay packets based on reputation and potential. You guessed it, I am thinking about the likes of Richo, Bowden and Holland. These sorts of players should be placed on performance based contracts and the club would save a fortune.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
To Rosy3: Compared to some of the great Tiger defenders I have been privileged to watch, Gaspar doesn't rate at all with me. I think it is the other players around him that hold it together. His salary is what irks me, but then RFC has made some funny decisions over contracts and salaries in recent years...

To Merv18: I never got passed school grade footy, Merv, but what's your point? I never got into Federal Parliament, either, but I still have a right to criticise decisions made by the Prime Minister (read: any PM).
By the by, I never questioned his courage, just his footy nous. If he was playing the round-ball code, I would accuse him of regularly being responsible for "own goals". Or is that too obscure for you?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Koalalill said:
rosy3 said:

It's not the Club Rosy - it's Danny Frawley's - just ask Harry ::) :-\ ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

A coach dictates how valuable his players are to the team and hence how much they get paid. Frawely knew how much freo and adelaide were offering for gaspar and holland and it was his call as to whether RFC was to match the offer based on his perception of players value to the team. Frawely definately overated them and hence the ridiculous contracts. IMO the final call is the coaches.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Actually I wonder if Danny would have any say in it. Surely he'd be consulted at to the players value to him,
If the club were to offer a player like King for example, half a million dollars a year, surely Danny has the power to step in and say nah we'll let him go. Not worth it.
It would be interesting to know if the coach is consulted in contract negotiations. I'd be a bit surprised if he wasn't.

I was told Rosy (because I asked the question) Footy Dept goes through the list but Danny naturally has the finally say on which players he wants to keep and have re-signed. But when it comes to working out the $$$$ paid - he doesn't get involved in that. I go back to the *smile* example - Danny said we need to re-sign him. The Club had the chance before the end of 2001 and the the person who was doing the contracts botched it and them we ended up paying him considerably more. I think it ridiculous to blame Danny Frawley for the amount some of the players are getting paid.

But by the same token - he is aware of the limits the Club sets regarding player payments and if the situation arose similar to the example of Kingy that you have given - then yes I believe without doubt - he would say not worth it

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
A coach dictates how valuable his players are to the team and hence how much they get paid. Frawely knew how much freo and adelaide were offering for gaspar and holland and it was his call as to whether RFC was to match the offer based on his perception of players value to the team. Frawely definately overated them and hence the ridiculous contracts. IMO the final call is the coaches.

I think it has been well documented Harry that *smile* stayed for less than was being offered by Freo but more than what he was original offered in early 2001.

As to the rest of your comments please refer to my previous post to Rosy ;)

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
The problem with the current pay system is that a club can't in practical terms pay players depending on their level of performance progressively. The deal the AFLPA has stitched up with the AFL has forced the clubs to pay very mediocre players upfront with no regard to how they will or may perform.Be good if clubs could negotiate mid-season and take money off duds & give it to rising stars. Ain't likely though.