Over Paid | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Over Paid

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Merv18 said:
DragicevicFan said:
Rampaging Richo said:
This is one of the areas that Greg Miller has identified as in desperate need of repair.

The previous CEO did some ridiculous contracts ie Bissiscombe $150k for 3 years

I think Biddiscombe is actually earning more than that, closer to $200,000 per year

SPeaking of contracts, apparently we are paying Kane Johnson less that Torney was earning. Not sure if thats a fact, but is what i've been told.

Jeez, hopping into Torney is a bit rich! He gave everything he had to RFC. The Club got rid of him and now he'll very likely play in a GF, if not a premiership. Good luck to him I say.

That wasnt an attack on Torney Merv, just an observation that we are paying Johnson less than we had been paying Torney. I'd love to still have Torns in the back pocket, but you gotta give something good to get something good.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Great to see in this mornings paper that approximately 2.5% of our salary cap has been paid to David Bourke via the Kangaroos for the past 2 year so the Bourkie could continue the $200,000 a year salary he was earning at Richmond. Great judge whoever signed him to that contarct in the first place. He was at best ever worth minimum wage.

TIGERARMY67

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 22, 2003
Pay the players and coaches per win, loss or draw.

MATCH PAYMENTS
Win------100%
Draw----75%
Loss-----50%

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Welcome to PuntRoadEnd Tigerarmy. :)

Interesting thought. If only we had the players who'd happily do it for nothing even because the pride in the jumper means more to them than money.

Plenty of them haven't earned the $$$ they are on that's for sure.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I disagree TigerArmy (Hello, by the way!). I'm all for performance based contracts, as long as the performance indicators are the right ones. That sort of 'incentive' is sure to create divided teams - eg. "I busted my gut to win, he didn't, we lost and I don't get my full match payment." Great for team unity.
That's been part of the historical mal-administration of the club IMO. Too much emphasis on winning alone and not enough on the structures and processes that lead to winning. For example, why not a performance based contract structured around the number of team assists, or one percenters, that you put in. Clubs keep all kinds of stats, many for this very reason.
Same with Danny's contract. His whole contract is a shambles, based around winning, finals appearances etc, instead of team development, etc etc. No wonder Miller wanted to change the emphasis on his contract. If you base the contract around such short term goals, no wonder short term decisions are made!

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
I know that the club hasnt done well in the past RE: player payments etc. But from next year onwards, Greg Miller is going to get this all under control. The exciting thing that i can see as a supporter is the extra money that is going to be available to bring new players to our club next year like a Luke Power or a Nick Stevens. We will have close to $350k extra just from not paying Daffy and Bourke. Then you can add in players such as King, Bidders, Houlihan etc and it will all add up.

GO TIGERS

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Spot on Bulluss.

Take the estimated $350K from Burke & Daffy,

Add (this not a Rogers plug but he is contracted - so I am assuming he's staying) the say $85K from 1/3 of his contract that goes on the veterans list - ditto Duncan if he plays on. = say at a minimum $185K

Add: the savings from the salaries of those to be de-listed - say Bidders, King, Houlihan, Mills for starters =
could be as much as $500k.

The above equals about $1.035 million. Staggering to say the least. I think for the first time in a long time there is actually some mone to spend on players

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
the claw said:
ben hollands the one that gets up my goat roar big bucks for very little return hes a complete dud

I believe you're a little harsh on Ben Holland.

He has just come back from a knee reconstruction.

Tell me who will you replace Holland with ? There isnt too many players that can play at both ends of the ground and play well.

He kicked 6 goals against the Doggies. He leads well, he is a strong mark.

And remember, when he was switched to Centre Half Back, he did excellently there.

In regards to two years ago, I believe it was his greedy manager whom wanted Holland to go to Adelaide. From what I've heard, Holland would of been better paid at Adelaide than at Richmond.

Give Holland a full pre-season and judge this time next year.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
nwonash said:
the claw said:
ben hollands the one that gets up my goat roar big bucks for very little return hes a complete dud

I believe you're a little harsh on Ben Holland.

He has just come back from a knee reconstruction.

Tell me who will you replace Holland with ? There isnt too many players that can play at both ends of the ground and play well.

He kicked 6 goals against the Doggies. He leads well, he is a strong mark.

And remember, when he was switched to Centre Half Back, he did excellently there.

In regards to two years ago, I believe it was his greedy manager whom wanted Holland to go to Adelaide. From what I've heard, Holland would of been better paid at Adelaide than at Richmond.

Give Holland a full pre-season and judge this time next year.
gday nwonash ben holland has been at the club since 1996 and has had 1yr that is anywhere acceptible (2001) out side of that year his stats are abysmal he cant kick hes to slow and hopeless when the ball hits the ground he kicked 6 goals against the bulliesagainst guys half his size with little experience if he was half a footballer he should have kicked 10 or 12 like lloyd did last week against them as for going to chb he can only play on big lumbering types i remember one of the softest big men going around in ben graham carved himm up not so long ago but my biggest complaint about him is he just doesnt get his hands on the footy enough. no its time to get rid of the mediocre players out of the club and holland is mediocre at best

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
The Claw - If my memory serves me correctly, Ben Holland hasnt kicked a behind all year. All goals.

Holland played 2001 in excellent form. Started 2002 in excellent form. He has only just come back into the team, in fact rushed into the team due to his importance. Cant understand how you can say he is soft.

I guess everyone has their view.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Half of the people that put most of these post should run for being a member of the football committee,or are they all ready.that is why the club has gone no where in 20 years,and still won't in the next 20 years.holland cannot handle pressure and run after fast forwards,*smile* is good if he has an hour to make a decision, bowden is a liability,pitiful will never make it,and every player that has played for coburg for the last 3 weeks will have to be delisted if we are to go any where.get real and wake up if the low life dogs can hand out a 80 point hiding to us what will bummer duds do to us? and dudspud could not motivate kids to eat lollies in a lollie factory even if they are for free.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Merv18, reply #32:
touche' Merv, let's agree to disagree on Gaspar's worth...come to think of it none of my choices would make the grade today, and at least one of them is dead!

Did you see my post to "Tiger Fleming crushed by lost Brownlow chance (The Bladder)"? I asked a question about Richo & Gehrig but nobody took me up on it. The Saints supporters were wetting themselves over it. I just wanted someone's impression of incident. Someone meaning a Tige supporter.

M

Merv18

G'day Roar34. I agree and I apologise if my comments the other night came across as smart-#%^@ like. I didn't intend them to be. Like you I'd love to see R. Clay belting out his trademark drop-kicks from full-back (come to think of it I'd just like to see the drop-kick come back into the game), or St Francis charging up the ground after out-bodying some hapless opposition forward. Mind you, Chris Newman has really developed into a solid player - and his decision making is first rate. If only we could get our half forward structure right, we might be in business.

I'm afraid I didn't see your "Tiger Fleming crushed by lost Brownlow chance (The Bladder)" post. But I will have a look at it get back to you.

Cheers and GO TIGES!!!!!!!

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Ah, don't Merv, I get all teary-eyed when I get nostalgic and I can't see the keyboard then. The FB I was thinking of was Fred Swift. I worked with him when he transferred down from the Bendigo Ordnance Factory & he was a really nice bloke, boy could he kick a footy! We used to play kick-to-kick at lunchtimes, and we would have to have 2 kicks to reach him (sometimes I took 3). His death was a terrible shock to all of us.

Interesting you should mention dropkicks as Barry Richardson wrote about them in his last Sunday Age article. He was talking about when he coached Tigers, and in particular Sheeds:
"At a time when I was encouraging players to become efficient with both left and right foot, Kevin (to my horror) had a crack at a left-foot drop kick from a kick-in. The grateful recipient kicked it straight back over his head for a goal, but it was another example of him believing that there were no boundaries in football that you couldn't cross." Actually, it's an article on Sheedy, and I might post it on PRE one day.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
nwonash said:
The Claw - If my memory serves me correctly, Ben Holland hasnt kicked a behind all year. All goals.

Holland played 2001 in excellent form. Started 2002 in excellent form. He has only just come back into the team, in fact rushed into the team due to his importance. Cant understand how you can say he is soft.

I guess everyone has their view.
nwonash given that 190cm + puts a player in the tall bracket i put 153 talls on other lists in front of holland even at rfc i place him 7th behind ottens gas kellaway hall richo staff as we have only 10 genuine talls on our list this only leaves him in front of moore vardy & schulz who looks like he might be a better player long term. also i wasnt calling him soft i cant fault his endevour i was trying to make the point that ben graham couldnt get a kick against my sons u12s yet he managed to carve up holland doesnt say much for him does it. nwonash have a look at other lists and ask your self who he would get a gme in front of im willing to bet he would struggle to get a game at any club inside the 8 i reckon he would struggle at rfc if we had any sort of depth probably explains why he was rushed in to the team the lack of depth.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Adelaide were very keen to obtain Hollands services.

Give Holland a full preseason and he'll come up thumps.

A knee reconstruction takes a lonf time to get over. Believe me, I've had two done.

Holland will return to that great form of 2001 next year, just you wait and see.