Pat McAfee Show/ Mike Lombardi | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pat McAfee Show/ Mike Lombardi

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
So, a few years ago I got bored during off-season and started getting into the NFL, since the timing fits with seasons alternating.

Recently I started noting the Pat McAfee Show, starting with him (a former NFL punter) raving about how much he loved AFL. This led to me now watching the show on ESPN each day it's on. I find it funny and informative as per the disclaimer they regularly air.

The show mostly focuses on NFL but there are other sections on other sports like basketball and Ice Hockey. The guests are usually very interesting and the one I really listen closely to is Mike Lombardi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lombardi_(American_football)).

Lombardi has been involved with many NFL teams on the management side - the Benny Gale type role - and now is an analyst on media forums.
Two things Lombardi has stressed the last few days caught my attention:

"Accountability is THE foundation of any successful team."
and
"Remember when"

The first is self explanatory but the second was talking about the new NE Patriots coach taking over from the legendary long serving coach Bill Bellichik.
Lombardi was talking about the problem that the new head coach, surrounded by line coaches who had been there for a long time under the former head coach, may be getting "remember when" responses from the line coaches when faced with a problem that appears similar to one from the past.

I was struck by how much this aligns with Richmond's current situation where Yze is surrounded by Rutten, Teague, Lambert, Maric and Morris.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
So, a few years ago I got bored during off-season and started getting into the NFL, since the timing fits with seasons alternating.

Recently I started noting the Pat McAfee Show, starting with him (a former NFL punter) raving about how much he loved AFL. This led to me now watching the show on ESPN each day it's on. I find it funny and informative as per the disclaimer they regularly air.

The show mostly focuses on NFL but there are other sections on other sports like basketball and Ice Hockey. The guests are usually very interesting and the one I really listen closely to is Mike Lombardi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lombardi_(American_football)).

Lombardi has been involved with many NFL teams on the management side - the Benny Gale type role - and now is an analyst on media forums.
Two things Lombardi has stressed the last few days caught my attention:

"Accountability is THE foundation of any successful team."
and
"Remember when"

The first is self explanatory but the second was talking about the new NE Patriots coach taking over from the legendary long serving coach Bill Bellichik.
Lombardi was talking about the problem that the new head coach, surrounded by line coaches who had been there for a long time under the former head coach, may be getting "remember when" responses from the line coaches when faced with a problem that appears similar to one from the past.

I was struck by how much this aligns with Richmond's current situation where Yze is surrounded by Rutten, Teague, Lambert, Maric and Morris.

I'm pretty sure Watson and Lyon used to have him on their show as a kind of semi regular guest.
Yeah, he was a pretty interesting bloke.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Interesting.
I thought a fascinating part of Jack’s book was him talking about the Graham Richmond room at Punt Road being adorned in images of the recent Richmond Premiership teams & how he wondered what impact that had on the young players that hadn’t tasted that success & whether it even had a negative impact as they couldn’t connect to it.
Similarly Yze will be good for the young players as a fresh voice with zero pre conceived notions or having not tasted any success as a snr coach himself thus driven. Newman probably will too assuming he’s hungry still as a potential snr coach.
The other assistants were probably on contracts that couldn’t be broken easily but for the reasons you mention I reckon Yze will be scoping new talent & continue to rebuild post the Hardwick era.
It’s going to be a very interesting phase for our footy club. To use a Hardwick analogy we’ve come of the peak & working our way down but not quite a base camp. Fresh climbers required to go again..

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That’s one perspective. The other perspective is that having coaches who know the players and the organisation well is a massive benefit to Yze.
The key is to have both and the for the ones who have been there to have open minds to change.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got Ouzo, Newy n Ziebell bringing in some new thoughts n processes so it won't be all remember what we used to do. Pretty sure probably 85% of the core stuff that gets done is the same at every club in the land anyway n then there'll be little tweaks n variations that suit the senior coaches mind set or playing lists capabilities.

Reactions: 1 users