Petition Timetable. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Petition Timetable.

Why doesn't Casey do the supporters and the Club a huge favour and come out and say he will call a spill of all positions at the completion of the home and away season. The Club is not going to make the Finals.   And that is only one week later than Phantom's Timetable. It will save the Club $60,000 by his own estimation.  I think most supporters would be happy to see Miller continue on and handle the Review of the List, Trade and Draft Negotiations and negotiations to appoint a new coach.

If both sides of the argument agree to that we could achieve a win/win.   If Casey can't see the wisdom in this then I think the process should continue and the positions be thrown open via the petition. 

Casey says he wants people to help the Club and that the timing of the petition is harmful.   If that is the case why doesn't he meet with the Phantom and tell him why it is harmful and what advantages other than saving $60,000 there are in delaying the spill till later in the year?

miastar said:
Why doesn't Casey do the supporters and the Club a huge favour and come out and say he will call a spill of all positions at the completion of the home and away season. The Club is not going to make the Finals.   And that is only one week later than Phantom's Timetable.

Sanest idea yet.

Certainly better than this petition with no plan attached.

If only Casey cared enough to agree with approach. C'mon Casey. Agree to a spill for the sake of the Club

TigerForce said:
Can someone refresh my memory about the 1999 season when Gieschen and Daphne were in the same situation ?

I remember that members wanted a new and better board of directors and were happy when Casey came in

Were we as bad as Beck's recruitment ?

If so, I just hope that we don't continue running around in circles every 4 or 5 years by wanting to sack, sack , sack all the time.

For those who can't remember back to 1999, during the season Leon Daphne had tried to take the (increasing) pressure off Gieschen by saying that if Gieschen went (he still had a contract until the end of the 2000 season), he would also go.

When it became clear that Gieschen wasn't up to senior AFL coaching and was persuaded to "quit", Daphne did the honourable thing and stuck to his own committment to leave.

Quite a few Richmond people asked him to break his word and stay, but he didn't.

At the same time, a group of influential Richmond supporters, somewhat tired of the club's financially conservative path throughout the 1990's thought it was time for a more agressive, risk taking Richmond Football Club to take us back to "our rightful place as a football power".

They then threatened to overthrow the existing board, and in the end a deal was done to prevent outright turmoil with most of that previous board leaving within a couple of years to be replaced by this new mob.

You may remember that they threatened to overturn the existing board's selection of a new coach, and then publically bagged the choice of Frawley (and only 18 months later extended his contract mid-way through the 2001 season....).

These people "recruited" Casey to be President - he wasn't even a Richmond member at the time! - and today we see the results of their actions since that time.

At the time the vast majority of Richmond people didn't want a new board, they just wanted some more success and didn't have any say whatsoever in the "coup" which replaced the board back them.

The situation is very different now.

Lets mount a real challenge and have coaches, administrators and potential board members queuing up to join us once more. Lets do it in a professional and business like way and lets see if we can step into the 21st century, and bury the witch hunt mentality once and for all.

I'll post a question here. Has anyone in this forum any real knowledge of a prospective new President and\or propective board members??

All this talk about we cant be worse off than we are now, act now before its too late etc...

I would love to see the reaction of Motorola if we sacked the current board and had a bunch of unknown's in. I’m sure they would be delighted to spend their money on our club then…Not! Oh yes, we could well and truly be worse off!

The spirit of the idea is noble and well meaning but I believe it would be a disaster. If it were coming from someone with some sort of track record then I would give it a fair hearing, but not this.

I think it all stems from a lack of communication from the current board with the members about what the hell is going on, and hear in lies the paradox of modern football.

Although on face value these are football issues, the harsh reality is they are COMMERCIAL ISSUES and thus confidentiality overrides the need to communicate with the supporter/member base.

Yes Frawley needs to go, and will

Casey has said himself if there is anyone better qualified for his position then he will go, but where is that person? Who will take on the "poison chalice"? Casey seems to be taking on a caretaker role until someone who can actually be a leader comes forth.

Dave c, you seem to be hinting at something other than what Mr Phantom is attempting is afoot?

sean pean said:
All this talk about we cant be worse off than we are now, act now before its too late etc...

I would love to see the reaction of Motorola if we sacked the current board and had a bunch of unknown's in. I’m sure they would be delighted to spend their money on our club then…Not! Oh yes, we could well and truly be worse off!

The spirit of the idea is noble and well meaning but I believe it would be a disaster. If it were coming from someone with some sort of track record then I would give it a fair hearing, but not this.

I think it all stems from a lack of communication from the current board with the members about what the hell is going on, and hear in lies the paradox of modern football.

Although on face value these are football issues, the harsh reality is they are COMMERCIAL ISSUES and thus confidentiality overrides the need to communicate with the supporter/member base.

Yes Frawley needs to go, and will

Casey has said himself if there is anyone better qualified for his position then he will go, but where is that person? Who will take on the "poison chalice"? Casey seems to be taking on a caretaker role until someone who can actually be a leader comes forth.

Dave c, you seem to be hinting at something other than what Mr Phantom is attempting is afoot?

Track Record?...so the blokes a "maiden". You have to start somewhere. He may turn out to be a champion stayer. Or else he may entice a Melbourne Cup field.

graystar1 said:
Lets mount a real challenge and have coaches, administrators and potential board members queuing up to join us once more. Lets do it in a professional and business like way and lets see if we can step into the 21st century, and bury the witch hunt mentality once and for all.

I'll post a question here. Has anyone in this forum any real knowledge of a prospective new President and\or propective board members??

George PELL. He has contacts.

It is great to 'be a passionate supporter' and want change but there needs to be a 'ready made replacement' to the board who are being 'outed' with a no-confidence vote.

The press showed only 'one' passionate supporter with no support from 'a new board in waiting' and no plan after the petition other than 'hope'.

60 signatures do not show me that 'the majority of members want change NOW'. The club is is enough trouble without further 'turmoil' for the sake of 15 minutes of fame for another 'Elaine Canty'.

David C said:
TigerForce said:
Can someone refresh my memory about the 1999 season when Gieschen and Daphne were in the same situation ?

I remember that members wanted a new and better board of directors and were happy when Casey came in

Were we as bad as Beck's recruitment ?

If so, I just hope that we don't continue running around in circles every 4 or 5 years by wanting to sack, sack , sack all the time.

For those who can't remember back to 1999, during the season Leon Daphne had tried to take the (increasing) pressure off Gieschen by saying that if Gieschen went (he still had a contract until the end of the 2000 season), he would also go.

When it became clear that Gieschen wasn't up to senior AFL coaching and was persuaded to "quit", Daphne did the honourable thing and stuck to his own committment to leave.

Quite a few Richmond people asked him to break his word and stay, but he didn't.

At the same time, a group of influential Richmond supporters, somewhat tired of the club's financially conservative path throughout the 1990's thought it was time for a more agressive, risk taking Richmond Football Club to take us back to "our rightful place as a football power".

They then threatened to overthrow the existing board, and in the end a deal was done to prevent outright turmoil with most of that previous board leaving within a couple of years to be replaced by this new mob.

You may remember that they threatened to overturn the existing board's selection of a new coach, and then publically bagged the choice of Frawley (and only 18 months later extended his contract mid-way through the 2001 season....).

These people "recruited" Casey to be President - he wasn't even a Richmond member at the time! - and today we see the results of their actions since that time.

At the time the vast majority of Richmond people didn't want a new board, they just wanted some more success and didn't have any say whatsoever in the "coup" which replaced the board back them.

The situation is very different now.

Thanks for your response, David C

I'm just bothered that we have picked up a terrible disease in the past 20 years of having to go through these pathetic ways of changing coaches and others off-field. I still think we would be the most challenging club for any newcomer to take on mainly because we are always known as one of the BIG 4, but I just hope that failure finally finishes from next year because we are really developing into a StKilda of the 70's & 80's

George PELL. He has contacts.

Please pardon my ignorance---but who is George Pell??

graystar1 said:
George PELL.  He has contacts.

Please pardon my ignorance---but who is George Pell??

Former archbishop of Melbourne, now archbishop of sydney. very, very conservative on any social issue you care to name.

One of Richmond patrons from memory and I think he actually played a few games for Richmond in another century

TigerForce said:
I'm just bothered that we have picked up a terrible disease in the past 20 years of having to go through these pathetic ways of changing coaches and others off-field.  I still think we would be the most challenging club for any newcomer to take on mainly because we are always known as one of the BIG 4, but I just hope that failure finally finishes from next year because we are really developing into a StKilda of the 70's & 80's

At the end of this season we can say to prospective coaches:

"Look, at Richmond we've seen out the full contract on our previous coach for the first time in 14 years - DESPITE a lousy on-field record, massive supporter pressure and a dud board! - if that doesn't show you that we're now more reliable in this area then nothing will".

After having a chat to the guys who were getting people to sign the petition I was told that they have aname but they cannot put it forward ??? ??? If nobody is willing to make public there intentions now then they should should just go away and come back when they have a spine.

The more I see and hear about this petition, the more I cringe.

We accuse Casey and co of having no substance, but really, this petition is the ultimate in smoke and mirrors.  There is absolutely nothing to back it up.  There are no candidates, no alternatives and no plan other than a no-confidence motion and a spill of all positions.

Some members seem to think the EGM will be an opportunity to have our questions answered, but according to the club's atricles (thanks David C) that will not happen.  If it goes ahead, the EGM will proivde no answers regarding finances or anything else anyone wants to know.

And if a genuine alternative ticket does not step forward in time to contest the positions, all we might do is see the current board re-elected.  Another $60k down the drain for what?  Status quo?

No, if I had my way I'd burn the petition.  I want change as much as anyone and I'm sick of the mediocrity that seems to have enveloped all levels of the Richmond Football Club, but I want a viable challenge, not some half-arsed expression of angst and frustration from a mere handful of disillusioned members.

Like we've been saying to Frawley for so long - show me a sensible plan and I'll be happy to sign on, otherwise get out of the way.

what is the point in the petition atm?

I don't understand what the point of the petition is at the moment wouldn't it be better to wait until the end of the year and do a full cleanout instead of doing half way through the year while we r still playing. I say wait until the end of the season and force the RFC then to make huge changes with the board,president,players.