Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Shai will be a household name by the time he inks a new deal with us around August.

And there we go. It was predictable in April.

Shai never once indicated he would leave, you just had to read between the lines.

I just got a feeling we’ve hit the ceiling already with Bakes.

Teams are getting bigger and bigger and the reality is his size is an issue. Especially if we want the precision of Rioli and Stack down back.

We will need currency now Shai is locked up and he’s one of the few tradeable commodities in my view.

Teams are getting bigger and bigger. This is true. It's popular to pursuit "tall" midfielders or "bulls" to win the ball. You're right to say Baker is small and skinny.

It's also true that the best club of this era has been the club with the smallest and skinniest list.

Players like Shane Edwards, who was the smallest and skinniest player of his draft, have ended up dominating in the clearances. Not tall, not big, but great at clearances. Dusty is a good size (and the least physical of our mids), while literally everyone else is small and/or skinny.

When injuries hit last year (and this year), we turned to a few young replacements:

Ross - a bull.
RCD - tall.
Shai - small and skinny.

The small and skinny bloke took his game to the next level while the other two still have potential.

So yes, everyone is getting bigger and bigger. But why compete for the biggest players? Let them overpay for height. It just means all the small and skinny players will slip in the draft and we'll pay under to get them.

The way I see it, it's an arms race strategy vs being unique. How do you win an arms race with equalisation? You need the most currency, somehow. I don't know how you get the most trade currency every year. Sounds hard.

But players like Baker and Bolton are examples of what can happen when we don't get caught up in the height measuring contest.

Trading either of them away for currency would represent a paradigm shift from what we've been doing over the past decade.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Blair Hartley is on record as saying Ralph is both the best agent to deal with, and the agent who works the hardest for the players he represents.

I really don't get the residual Ralph angst?

A player managed by Ralph has never left Richmond, and they've never been paid overs.

what more do you want?

He's a legend.

Creates value that didn't previous exist.

And that value is only created for Richmond players.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He's a legend.

Creates value that didn't previous exist.

And that value is only created for Richmond players.
Interesting concept.
A manager creating value for a player somehow helps the club? I suppose if a player is appreciated and paid well, they may be inclined to play better?
Or is that the club’s responsibility to develop and nurture and the managers job is to maximise his players earning potential?
I think he’s a very good manager and if I was a player, I’d sign with him.
Don’t believe he’s our clubs first choice

Last edited:

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
22yo if they’re any good don’t sign for any longer
good news for us. I think its win..win for both sides. If he continues to develop and become a top player , that's good for Richmond and Bolton. If he decides to leave, after two yrs, we will definitely get top price for him and Bolton will be huge dollars elsewhere.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
good news for us. I think its win..win for both sides. If he continues to develop and become a top player , that's good for Richmond and Bolton. If he decides to leave, after two yrs, we will definitely get top price for him and Bolton will be huge dollars elsewhere.
Cough cough ahem. You do realise there's always the possibility that the young fella could stagnate to some degree, or even worse go backwards?

Two year deal on good coin while he's still developing to get consistency is a fair deal all around. Shai steps up he'll get big shekels on a long term deal as he reaches his peak wherever he decides to be. If he flattens or tapers off, we don't get mugged by long term overs for almost performance n the possible trade value would be commensurately moderate.

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Bolton is definitely entitled to sign a contract that works for him, but the two-year length makes me think it's a 50-50 arrangement. He wants to see how RFC performs over the next couple of seasons before he signs a big contract either with RFC or another team in the premiership window.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bolton is definitely entitled to sign a contract that works for him, but the two-year length makes me think it's a 50-50 arrangement. He wants to see how RFC performs over the next couple of seasons before he signs a big contract either with RFC or another team in the premiership window.
Thats ok it also gives the RFC an out if he's not performing either.

22 yo's dont often sign long deals.

I am more than happy he's a Tiger for another 2 years.

Reactions: 3 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Owes us in the second half. Silly to handball to Short, and plan stupid to give away the 50. I can probably accept the free. Was unlucky not to get a free for front on contact.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Hope im wrong but reckon Shai is going to be nothing but a highlight package. Dont think he has or will have the mental strength to become as good as his talent allows him. As i said hope im wrong

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
This guy is annoying the hell out of me. 2 days after signing on he should be putting in as hard as he can. But he is more interested in pushing and shoving, trying to take speckies than actually getting a kick. That pathetic lazy handball to Cotch in the first few minutes set the tone today. He is one of our stars. Lift Shai Lift!!!

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He is playing the hardest role in the team. The D.Martin role. That’s how good he is.

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
He was putrid in the first half, but like quality players do really lifted in the second half. Doesn't seem be playing enough midfield time for me, that's where he's best suited, not anchored to a forward pocket or flank.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
Wasn't too bad. High standards for Shai these days as it should be. If he doesn't shank his kicks he has 3 goals.

Reactions: 1 user

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
He was putrid in the first half, but like quality players do really lifted in the second half. Doesn't seem be playing enough midfield time for me, that's where he's best suited, not anchored to a forward pocket or flank.
Yes, second half was better...got involved. First half awful. C'mon Shai we need you at your best.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Don't think any club has signed a small forward on a $600k per year deal. Not sure why he's essentially playing permanently forward other than playing injured?